V1 vs V2 the match to come by Guy 13

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: V1 vs V2 the match to come by Guy 13
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:21 pm »
I also tried with and without the foam around the subs and could not see a big difference or even a small difference in sound. I will do more testing with the V-2 since they don't have yet the foam installed.
Like I had mentioned earlier, everything that I have read about egg crate foam is that it is nearly worthless for deadening resonances. Your experience reconfirms that.   A recommended DIY method is a layer of heavy flooring vinyl next to the cabinet followed by two layers of carpet padding ( you may substitute any dense open cell foam, but the density is the key).  Perhaps you can find a business that ships electronics or optics that may have a supply of dense open cell foam that they use for packing materials.  Best of luck with your project.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:27 pm »
For the record No Rez isn't just foam.  It has a heavy asphalt layer that adheres to the cabinet walls and helps cut down the resonance of the cabinet.  It really helps clean up the mid bass.

About how big and heavy is a sheet of this stuff?

S Clark

« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:47 pm »
A sheet is about 30" X 36".  I may be wrong but I  think that instead of asphalt, the sticky layer is a treated vinyl.  Guessing at the weight-- somewhere about 3-4 lbs per sheet.  A couple of weeks ago I  finished cutting up 8 sheets to go in a pair of LS9's, so my impressions are fairly recent.  However, Danny can give you the exact specs.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:57 pm »
I guess it might ship better and cheaper if it were precut into smaller pieces.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:01 pm »
Like S Clark mentioned, a layer of foam isn't going to do much. It will absorb standing waves, but the wavelengths being produced by the woofers are too long to create any standing wave issues. And it will do nothing to control the resonances of the panels.

Guy's version will also be considerably more resonant than typical as he strayed from the original design plans and omitted the side panels that further stiffen the lower cabinet and reduce resonances.

Lining the insides with heavy floor tiles will help.

No Rez is actually a composite of vinyl and asphalt, and the sheets are 24" by 27".

S Clark

« Reply #25 on: 21 Sep 2010, 04:16 pm »
No Rez is actually a composite of vinyl and asphalt, and the sheets are 24" by 27".

Seems bigger when you are cutting it with kitchen shears!!  At first I first used my table saw which worked great, but it took forever to clean the blade afterward.  Regardless, it is good stuff and I recommend it.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #26 on: 21 Sep 2010, 07:55 pm »
Is there a Canadian distributor for no rez?
Or perhaps an alternative other than tile and rug backing?

That doesnt seem to be an alternative for us that run grill-less  :wink:
I feel my subs are just fine.....but the tweaker in me says I would like to try it.

Windchaser.....I will send you a PM tonite, would love to have you over for a listen
to not just the the Vs but my other herd of high sens. speaks......check my gallery....
we could try that Dayens on a few if you like. I've read the 6 moons review......wow!

Perry

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 21 Sep 2010, 08:15 pm »
Is there a Canadian distributor for no rez?
Or perhaps an alternative other than tile and rug backing?

That doesnt seem to be an alternative for us that run grill-less  :wink:
I feel my subs are just fine.....but the tweaker in me says I would like to try it.

Windchaser.....I will send you a PM tonite, would love to have you over for a listen
to not just the the Vs but my other herd of high sens. speaks......check my gallery....
we could try that Dayens on a few if you like. I've read the 6 moons review......wow!

Perry

You'd surprised what No Rez and floor spikes will do for your bass response.

You could make a grill that just covers your subs only...

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #28 on: 22 Sep 2010, 01:09 am »
Good morning to you Guy 13,

Yes, I know it's about 8AM in Saigon. :)

Looking at your room setup, what type of room treatments do you have?

You probably know by now it's not easy to tame the reflective waves there with the way the houses built in VN.

I'm interested to find out more about this.

Thanks,

Guy 13

« Reply #29 on: 22 Sep 2010, 01:35 am »
You'd surprised what No Rez and floor spikes will do for your bass response.

You could make a grill that just covers your subs only...
Hi Danny.
I will buy a few sheets of No Rez with my next order, I am a little short on money right now, please keep in mind that I have already bought from you one V-1 kit, one V-2 kit, plus the sub section of another V-2, that's not bad for a new customer of GR Reseaech.
The foam you see on my V-1 is the only thing that is available in Vietnam. I think it's better than nothing, but I could be wrong. The wall of the V-1 are made with extra heavy duty very high density MDF wood.
The wheels will stay until I have found the ideal distance from all the walls, at 150 poubnds plus for each V-1 using spikes and movig them around would be back breaking...
For now, I am using what is available here. Vietnam is not USA. Everything you can think of is available from stock in USA, not here and importing No Rez via air cargo is very expensive. Sell your No Rez at 50% discount and I will buy them right away, otherwise, wait for my next order.
No agressiveness in the above, only my honest opinion.
I have to live with what I have and I have to accept my V-1 no being as per GR Research specifications.
Have a nice day.
Guy 13. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 22 Sep 2010, 01:46 am »
You are a good customer and shipping to you is high. On your next order with me I will offer you the No Rez at my cost.

Guy 13

« Reply #31 on: 22 Sep 2010, 01:52 am »
Good morning to you Guy 13,

Yes, I know it's about 8AM in Saigon. :)

Looking at your room setup, what type of room treatments do you have?

You probably know by now it's not easy to tame the reflective waves there with the way the houses built in VN.

I'm interested to find out more about this.

Thanks,
Hi Hugh.
It's now 8.30am in Vietnam and I must answer a few posts, then I will finish the wiring of my V-2 so I can do my side by side evaluation of the V-1 vs V-2. I am very anxious, I don't thing there will be a winner, I think each one will win in his category.
No room treatment, the only treatment I have is 7 sets of curtain, carpet and furniture. I know, it's not enough, but it is very difficult to put anything on the walls, my wife won't let me.
I am quite aware that I need more room treatment, but I have to wait until we move in our new hoiuse, which will be reading middle of next year.
The next house will still be build with walls and ceiling councrete and ceramique floor, but I will be able to treat the walls the way I want, because I will have a dedicated listening room. But that's next year.
By the way, that's my house.

My next house will be smaller, but the layout of the room will be smarter.
Hugh, if you are from Vietnamese origin, you can e-mail me at : guyleduc@hcm.vnn.vn
I will be more than happy to exchange Vietnamese experiences...
More questions, please ask.
Guy 13.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #32 on: 22 Sep 2010, 01:58 am »
I'm very curious to hear how each speaker sounds off-axis as well as on-axis, from a tonal balance and clarity standpoint. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 24 Sep 2010, 03:27 pm »
A tip for Guy,

You built the V-2 cabinets so much too big that there is a lot of extra space around the lower subs and the side walls. You can actually tighten up the bass response quite a bit if you line the walls front and back with 3/4" MDF. That will stiffen them up and keep them from resonating so much.

Guy 13

« Reply #34 on: 25 Sep 2010, 12:38 am »
I'm very curious to hear how each speaker sounds off-axis as well as on-axis, from a tonal balance and clarity standpoint.
Hi Tyson.
To be honest with you, (which I am always), I have not really noticed, but from what I remembered, I think tonal balance and clarity is not changing much when you are off axis, but since you asked, I will try to be more attentive to that on my next audition and will get back to you and if I forget, please remind me, I don't mind.
Guy 13.   

Guy 13

« Reply #35 on: 25 Sep 2010, 12:44 am »
A tip for Guy,

You built the V-2 cabinets so much too big that there is a lot of extra space around the lower subs and the side walls. You can actually tighten up the bass response quite a bit if you line the walls front and back with 3/4" MDF. That will stiffen them up and keep them from resonating so much.
Hi Danny.
If inside the sub H frame around the driver's walls I put some No Rez will it do the same as 3/4" MDF?
I also want to put on each side wall an extra board of 3/4" MDF. I am not convinced it will make a difference, but... You are the expert, not me.
Guy 13.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 25 Sep 2010, 03:01 am »
Hi Danny.
If inside the sub H frame around the driver's walls I put some No Rez will it do the same as 3/4" MDF?
I also want to put on each side wall an extra board of 3/4" MDF. I am not convinced it will make a difference, but... You are the expert, not me.
Guy 13.

If it were me then I would line it with 3/4" MDF and then the No Rez on top of that.

drphoto

« Reply #37 on: 25 Sep 2010, 04:54 am »
Hey Guy, a bit off topic. That is a beautiful house. My former photo assistant, who is now a a very successful photographer has been to Vietnam several times and loves it. I hope to visit there myself sometime down the road.

As far as topic....be sure to carefully check that subwoofer wire routing w/ the servo subs. It's really easy to mess up. They will sound 'good' almost anyway you do it, but get it right......and wow!

Once I got mine fixed everything improved, not just the low end. The image locked into place more for one. Of course, I use mine more as a woofer for my sealed monitors, meaning I running them up pretty high.....~100hz or so.

Guy 13

« Reply #38 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:22 pm »
Hey Guy, a bit off topic. That is a beautiful house. My former photo assistant, who is now a a very successful photographer has been to Vietnam several times and loves it. I hope to visit there myself sometime down the road.

As far as topic....be sure to carefully check that subwoofer wire routing w/ the servo subs. It's really easy to mess up. They will sound 'good' almost anyway you do it, but get it right......and wow!

Once I got mine fixed everything improved, not just the low end. The image locked into place more for one. Of course, I use mine more as a woofer for my sealed monitors, meaning I running them up pretty high.....~100hz or so.
Hi.
Off topic ! Why not ?
Sometime we need a break !
I made the inside - outsite design of our house, then I give it to an architect. It took three months for 30 workers to build it. I let my wife choose the color (Florida pink, I call it), so she can claim that she was involved in the design of the house. (Ha, ha...)
If you come to Vietnam, you have to contact me and we must get together.
Here's my PM : guyleduc@hcm.vnn.vn and another one : saigonaudio13@yahoo.com
Tomorrow to my regrets, I will tear up/pull out all the wires and redo the complete wiring of my V-1. I think this is the only way to make sure it's 100% correct.
It's gona be lots of work, but that is the only way.
I want the V-1 to perform as per Danny's saying.
At the same time, I will lower the PAudio 12" coaxial driver so it's at ear's level when seating, that's an even  bigger job than the wiring, tomorrow I will see how much work is involved and decide if I will do it. For the No Rez ? Well I have no choice, I will have to wait until I buy more stuff from Danny's so that I can consolidate everything to cut the cost of transport, as you know already, Vietnam is not next door.
Have a nice week end.
Guy 13.