• PI audio group, LLC
My new products include...
« on: 8 Jul 2010, 04:27 am »
Power cables - 3 different price/performance points

An EMI trap for refrigerators, computers and other problem noise sources

A surge protector

A hum eliminator

Some component mechanical isolation components

Beyond these are there any "must have" thingamabobs you all would like to see?

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: My new products include...
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2010, 11:09 am »
What's the timeframe on these?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2010, 02:42 pm »
What's the timeframe on these?
Jason, it depends on which products people would like to see first.  Cables are on their way.  I'm waiting for connectors.  The second unit will be the EMI Sink and third is either the surge protector or the hum suppressor.... I think.

I am open for suggestions.  What looks good to you?

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2010, 02:46 pm »
Here is a suggestion I got from a supporter and my reply:

You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Thu 7/08/10 3:22 AM
To:  info@piaudiogroup.com

All you need for a full product line is a Bullshit Meter. Soldier on.

Sent: Thu 7/08/10 8:32 AM
To:  porziob@aol.com

Gee, thanks.  Can I put your name on it?

Regards,

<><

Dave

What do you all think:  analog or LCD display?

:roll:

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2010, 02:57 pm »
Jason, it depends on which products people would like to see first.  Cables are on their way.  I'm waiting for connectors.  The second unit will be the EMI Sink and third is either the surge protector or the hum suppressor.... I think.

I am open for suggestions.  What looks good to you?

Dave

You know my feelings on cables...

Look forward to hearing more about the EMI sink. 

dmccombs

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2010, 01:22 am »
Dave,

I am very interested in an EMI trap for my refrigerator.  It keeps getting out and I can't catch it...   :dunno:

But seriously...   I am interested.  My Frig has to be throwing all sorts of junk back on my lines and it seem like the damn thing is running all the time.

Darrell

arthurs

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2010, 01:34 am »

Dave

Dave, which end of this scale are we playing on with the PC's we're doing?

Phil

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2010, 01:50 am »
Dave,

I'd be interested in an EMI trap for refrigerators if it is a small form factor (not much space behind my fridge).  Also, for the computer if it works fine with a battery backup unit (have tried other filters and they didn't do anything).

Still diggin' the Majik.  Settling in very nicely.

Phil

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:30 am »
Dave,

I am very interested in an EMI trap for my refrigerator.  It keeps getting out and I can't catch it...   :dunno:

But seriously...   I am interested.  My Frig has to be throwing all sorts of junk back on my lines and it seem like the damn thing is running all the time.

Darrell
They all seem to be running all of the time.  It is summer, eh?   8)

You'll be one of the first to see one.  Proximity is a good thing except when it comes to explosives.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:32 am »
Dave, which end of this scale are we playing on with the PC's we're doing?
Art, pretty much at the top, for now.  I've just about got the mids figured out without loosing the top or botom.  Things are very BIG sounding right now.  You should get 'em back next week.

I do have plans for a no holds barred cable, but that is a long ways off.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:39 am »
Dave,

I'd be interested in an EMI trap for refrigerators if it is a small form factor (not much space behind my fridge).  Also, for the computer if it works fine with a battery backup unit (have tried other filters and they didn't do anything).

Still diggin' the Majik.  Settling in very nicely.

Phil
Great, Phil.  I'm glad to hear it is working for you.

What I am working on is a small baox with a single outlet on the end with a 4' power cord with a right angle plug on the other.  The prototype is 2.5" x 2.5" x 4" long.  It fits inside my refrigerator on the bottom, next to the compressor with the standard power cord bundled and tie wrapped inside, too.  Nice and tidy.  It may get a little bit bigger, though.  I'm just about there.  I'm still chewing on the pricepoint.

Dave

mchuckp

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:51 am »
Dave,

Could you get a bit technical on why you are targeting a fridge vs other house hold appliances?  I'm a bit of a novice on this electrical stuff.

Thanks,
Mike

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2010, 04:14 am »
Dave,

Could you get a bit technical on why you are targeting a fridge vs other house hold appliances?  I'm a bit of a novice on this electrical stuff.

Thanks,
Mike
Sure.  It is a heavy load that rides only on one phase of the AC power (which is a good thing) that is constantly cycling on and off with switching transients and EMI (primarily inductive) pulses coming from the motor driving the compressor.  This is a very bad thing.

Other offenders are computers, SCR dimmers for incandescent lighting, flourescent lighting, microwaves, etc.  The 'fridge is something that every home has and can't be turned off (reasonably speaking) when we are listening.  Suppose you turned the refrigerator off for a listening session and forgot to turn it back on.  :o

Dave

jdbrian

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2010, 11:28 am »
Hi Dave

Re: refrigerator noise.
  Back in the 80's we were haveing trouble with a robotic gamma counter at the lab where I worked. It would crash at seemingly random intervals. We checked the machine circuitry and found it all seemed fine. Installed a power monitor and found huge spikes on the AC that matched up with the crashes. We installed an emi filter on the counter. Still had failures. We finally identified the source as a refrigerator. Our plant maintenance people refused to look at the fridge as to them it was working OK. I installed an EMI filter in the fridge and problem solved. So, sometimes it is much better to address the problem at the source!
  Brian

jdbrian

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2010, 11:39 am »

An EMI trap for refrigerators, computers and other problem noise sources

A surge protector

A hum eliminator

Some component mechanical isolation components

Beyond these are there any "must have" thingamabobs you all would like to see?

Dave

Dave

Whole House Surge Suppressors

Perhaps you could do some research on what is already out there and become a dealer for what you feel is an effective solution. These have to be installed by an electrician but when you ask an electrician to supply one you don't know what you are getting. To me this is a good first line of defense for catastrophic surges like near lightning strikes.
  The other issue to me is the absolutely ridiculous prices of some of the cables out there. $2000 for a power cord! Please try to keep your pricing reasonable.

Regards
Brian

arthurs

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2010, 04:28 pm »
Art, pretty much at the top, for now.  I've just about got the mids figured out without loosing the top or botom.  Things are very BIG sounding right now.  You should get 'em back next week.

I do have plans for a no holds barred cable, but that is a long ways off.

Dave
Cool, looking forward to hearing them when you have them satisfactory to your ears....AND I'll gladly guinea pig with you on the no holds barred whenever you decide to get down to it!   :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2010, 05:36 pm »
Dave

Whole House Surge Suppressors

Perhaps you could do some research on what is already out there and become a dealer for what you feel is an effective solution. These have to be installed by an electrician but when you ask an electrician to supply one you don't know what you are getting. To me this is a good first line of defense for catastrophic surges like near lightning strikes.
  The other issue to me is the absolutely ridiculous prices of some of the cables out there. $2000 for a power cord! Please try to keep your pricing reasonable.

Regards
Brian
Brian, there is so much out there for surge protection in whole house surge protection that I don't feel the necessity to become a dealer for these units.  Especially being a stocking dealer - I just don't have the inkling or the money to do so.  As a small business man in a crappy economy (not my particular hope) I am very conservative.

Here is what I am now using:

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Markets/Electrical/Products/ResidentialProducts/SurgeTrap/Stage1SurgeProtection/ACPowerSurgeProtection/index.htm

These are sacrificial units that are very quiet electrically.  Unlike cheap point of use units with undersized MOVs, these use banks of very high quality and capacity units with noise suppression built into them.

My power cables will top out < $700.00 for the premium cable.  Not the no holds barred one that will cost what it costs on special order only.  Entry level pricing is $99.00 with Wattgate connectors.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2010, 05:37 pm »
Cool, looking forward to hearing them when you have them satisfactory to your ears....AND I'll gladly guinea pig with you on the no holds barred whenever you decide to get down to it!   :thumb:
Art, you will be one of the first to know!

:thumb:

Dave

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2010, 05:51 pm »

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Markets/Electrical/Products/ResidentialProducts/SurgeTrap/Stage1SurgeProtection/ACPowerSurgeProtection/index.htm

These are sacrificial units that are very quiet electrically.  Unlike cheap point of use units with undersized MOVs, these use banks of very high quality and capacity units with noise suppression built into them.

Dave
A wise choice!! :wink:

Nick77

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2010, 09:02 pm »
Brian, there is so much out there for surge protection in whole house surge protection that I don't feel the necessity to become a dealer for these units.  Especially being a stocking dealer - I just don't have the inkling or the money to do so.  As a small business man in a crappy economy (not my particular hope) I am very conservative.

My power cables will top out < $700.00 for the premium cable.  Not the no holds barred one that will cost what it costs on special order only.  Entry level pricing is $99.00 with Wattgate connectors.

Dave

Dave would it be possible to give your advise between these two products? Is the amount of filtering worth mentioning or paying extra for? Thanks........

http://www.zerosurge.com/productspecs/ff1_20w.pdf

http://www.zerosurge.com/commercialindustrial.cfm