A must have for every system...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: A must have for every system...
« Reply #80 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:46 pm »
Hey HTcOz,

In regards to your line of questions... Let me give away a little info about that.

It is not just about the wire. Sure high purity OFC is great and does have an effect, but that is but just a drop in the bucket. For that matter, the jacket type has as much to do with how it sounds as the wire itself in most cases.

It is not about inductance, capacitance, and resistance, but they do play a role. Bigger gauge and lower resistance in itself can have some subtle effect in the bottom end, but less than you'd think.

The power cable can be anything and everything between being an antenna and being a filter.

It can catch and transmit tons of EMI, and RFI signals along with that 60Hz AC sine wave.

Or it can be designed in such a way as to cancel out, reject, or filter a lot of that stuff away.

Power cables can't give you something in the music (in the recording) that is not there. In other words, it can't create sound stage depth, width, space between instruments, etc. However, it can obscure those things. In other words it carries with it all kinds of bad things that destroy all the good stuff. Strip that bad stuff away and the good stuff about the recording can then not be obscured and masked over.

Make sense? Some think that the AC power cables is that last thing in a long chain of power coming from a power plant to your gear. But it is really the first thing that your gear sees. And that thing is either collecting the bad stuff, or filtering the bad stuff. 

Adding something like the Majik Buss just takes it all several steps further still.

Let me add a little to what Danny has said.  I like analogies, so here is one:

Powering a system is a lot like getting water from a well.  In that well with the water are bugs, rodents, bacteria, rocks, dirts... all the kinds of things that make me a poor camper.  I hate 'em.  I need the water, but I DO NOT want any of the aforementioned.  So, what do I do?  I build a series of traps and filters that take all of the bacteria, roaches and dirt out and create a maze that the stupid rats can't get through. 

That is what is going on with passive power components like power cords, CorComs, ferrite beads, my filters and on and on.  Some of these devices just work better than others.

In audio, whether we like it or not, everything effects everything else.  The quest  towards superior reproduction is a trail that has many twists and turns.  I have about a gig of notes that I have compiled over the years from experiments performed that includes all of the successes and failures.  A few years ago it became very clear to me that audio reproduction, just like everything else, has to be built upon a firm foundation or the whole structure is weak.  Ergo - my power treatment products.

You just have to be smarter than the rat.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #81 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:51 pm »
You guys crack me up.  I need some of what you guys have been eating, drinking, and/or smoking because I'm clearly missing out on something.  :lol:

Since I'm new here, perhaps you can explain what you mean.

Dave

Big Red Machine

« Reply #82 on: 8 Jun 2009, 11:01 pm »
You guys crack me up.  I need some of what you guys have been eating, drinking, and/or smoking because I'm clearly missing out on something.  :lol:

Dave

It went over the edge for Seth when the panel wiring was brought up (top to bottom).

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #83 on: 8 Jun 2009, 11:08 pm »

Dave

It went over the edge for Seth when the panel wiring was brought up (top to bottom).

Gotcha...   :icon_lol:

[edit]  I thought I got it.  I thought it was an inside joke, but I guess I was wrong.  Once again, I need to be brought up to speed.  Do you question the importance of what we are discussing here?  Be gentle, I'm new.

:scratch:

Dave
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2009, 12:10 am by dBe »

Stereodude

« Reply #84 on: 8 Jun 2009, 11:12 pm »

My willing suspension of disbelief broke down prior to that post, but I just couldn't keep it to myself any longer.  :?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #85 on: 8 Jun 2009, 11:31 pm »

My willing suspension of disbelief broke down prior to that post, but I just couldn't keep it to myself any longer.  :?

You need some power cables and a Majik Buss.  Dwindle disbelief brother.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #86 on: 8 Jun 2009, 11:59 pm »

Talking about something you know nothing about is confusing for sure. :lol: Trying a free demo Majik Buss and/or an Electra power cord for like $16 shipping ($32 inc return shipping) may clear up that confusion and give you something of substance to post about. :thumb:

Sorry to be so blunt but I couldn't keep it to myself either. aa

Cheers,
Robin

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #87 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:08 am »
I agree with BRM.  People should give it a try.  It is a free demo minus the shipping. 

Cleaning AC power here has made a big difference for the better for sound quality.   The PS Audio P300 on the front end and the PS Audio Power Plant Premiere on the PA's has dropped the system noise background considerably to uncover low level detail.  I have removed the cleaning setup from the system and the system noise floor returns. 

This has been measureable with the Fluke 43B Power Line Analyzer as much lower AC line harmonic distortion and lower AC noise floor with the AC regenerators.   

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #88 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:15 am »
I think Robin has a pretty good idea there Seth.

You have been a pretty good customer. You have the best sounding sub on the market with dual SW-12-08's and its servo control system. Nice box too.

You have a really great pair of mini-monitors with the N2X's.

You have obviously trusted my judgement in the past by going with my products. I have not let you down yet have I?

So, how about giving the Majik Buss and one of the Electra Cable power cables a try for just the cost of shipping?  aa

Stereodude

« Reply #89 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:40 am »
You need some power cables and a Majik Buss.  Dwindle disbelief brother.

Not sure what I'd use the power cord on.  My receiver doesn't have a removable power cord, and I certainly wouldn't put it on the subwoofer.

Talking about something you know nothing about is confusing for sure. :lol: Trying a free demo Majik Buss and/or an Electra power cord for like $16 shipping ($32 inc return shipping) may clear up that confusion and give you something of substance to post about. :thumb:

I have an electrical engineering degree and have designed my fair share of circuits before so I wouldn't assume that I know nothing about electronics.

I think Robin has a pretty good idea there Seth.

You have been a pretty good customer. You have the best sounding sub on the market with dual SW-12-08's and its servo control system. Nice box too.

You have a really great pair of mini-monitors with the N2X's.

You have obviously trusted my judgement in the past by going with my products. I have not let you down yet have I?

So, how about giving the Majik Buss and one of the Electra Cable power cables a try for just the cost of shipping?  aa

Well, as I mentioned to BRM, I don't have any place to use the power cable, and frankly speaking I can't see spending $600 on a Magik Buss even if it makes a noticeable difference at this point in time.  I need to get some room treatments and bass traps up long before I focus on anything else.  So while a trial wouldn't cost me much, it also isn't beneficial to you since I'm not really a potential customer.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #90 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:11 am »
Okay, no worries.

Does your CD player or DAC accept a separate power cord?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #91 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:13 am »
Danny,

I think early to mid July will work for me.

I'll ping you towards the end of the month.

George

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #92 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:17 am »
I think early to mid July will work for me.

I'll ping you towards the end of the month.

Okay, you got it.

bradmorris1

« Reply #93 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:04 am »
Danny,
You devil you.  You knew what you were doing when you sent the Majik Buss and the Electra Power cable out for free auditions didn't you?  My system sounds so good I don't even feel like A/B ing the Electra against one of my cords lying around.  I read somebody's post who did make a comparison and felt the Electra was essential.  That's good enough for me.  You can go ahead and run that CC number I gave you.  They are both staying!

What are you going to tempt me with next?
Brad

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #94 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:10 am »
You knew what you were doing when you sent the Majik Buss and the Electra Power cable out for free auditions didn't you?

Yep, they don't come back.

What are you going to tempt me with next?

How about new battery powered tube amps from Dodd Audio?

Dan_ed

« Reply #95 on: 11 Jun 2009, 01:28 pm »
I have already placed my order with Danny so I'll let some things out before the prices start going up.

I have compared the Electra B-7 with my some of my Nordost pcs. There is no doubt that the B-7 is superior to the Nordost Vishnu in both my HT and stereo. Once I get a few more of the B-7s in my system I will start head to head comparisons with Nordost Brahma and Valhalla pcs. My .02, FWIW.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #96 on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:35 pm »
Dan,

Before a real head to head I'd try to get at least a good 100 hours of time on the Electra Cable B-7's. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. They went out yesterday, BTW.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #97 on: 12 Jun 2009, 05:39 pm »
I have already placed my order with Danny so I'll let some things out before the prices start going up.

I have compared the Electra B-7 with my some of my Nordost pcs. There is no doubt that the B-7 is superior to the Nordost Vishnu in both my HT and stereo. Once I get a few more of the B-7s in my system I will start head to head comparisons with Nordost Brahma and Valhalla pcs. My .02, FWIW.

Dan,

We did a comparison with several different Purist Audio Design power cords.  The B-7 was the choice over the Purist Venustas ($890.00) and the Dominus Aqueous ($1840.00).  It was only bested by the Dominus Ferox ($1990.00) and that was just a "maybe" call by 3 of 5 reviewers.  I hate to say this, but the Electra Cable B-7 cable might be better than my Mongo in some applications... ouch, that hurts!!!

I think I need to go back to the engineering group (me).   :?

YMMV

Dave
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2009, 03:44 am by dBe »

Phil

« Reply #98 on: 13 Jun 2009, 09:50 pm »
Dave,

About that well analogy....   Don't components spit in the well too?  Does the noise from components not only pollute each other but find their way back to the well from which the other components are drawing their water?

Thanks.

Phil

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #99 on: 14 Jun 2009, 12:24 am »
Dave,

About that well analogy....   Don't components spit in the well too?  Does the noise from components not only pollute each other but find their way back to the well from which the other components are drawing their water?

Thanks.

Phil

Yep!  That's why there is stuff in the BUSS To minimize what my grandaughter would call "backwash"...... Puh..toooey!!!!!  A piece of digital gear is the worst offender in the audio chain.  It is a teeny tiny radio transmitter sitting there trying to broadcast back down the AC line if we let it.  A lot of the digital harshness we hear are the artifacts from the unit doing the reproduction of the signal.  Kind of like the cure being worse than the disease.........

My basic premise in audio, acoustics or whatever is that everything effects everything.  What I have tried to address with the Majik BUSS is an affordable EMI/RFI/ PFC filtration unit with a reasonable amount of outlet to outlet isolation.  The Majik BUSS has two circuits with as much buffering between the circuits as possible for the $$$.  I have another unit coming that will have better isolation between circuits and an even higher level of performance, but the unit cost is quite a bit higher.  It boils down to this: how much filtration/treatment/isolation can a person afford?

Kind of went off on a tangent there, but I hope you get my drift.

Dave