dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: A must have for every system...
« Reply #180 on: 20 Oct 2009, 05:32 am »
Glad to see you back, Robin.

:thumb:

Dave

Here's a couple of picture of my custom built UberBuss which was put togther with 15A connections instead of 20A so i wouldn't have to upgrade my power cords. For outlets, I'm using a Pass & Seymour Duplex on 1 side and an Oyaide SWO-XXX gold/palladium Duplex which will be the one I'll be using for my BPT BP2.5. I'm using a gold Furutech plate terminal IEC for the input. Poor Dave was in such a hurry to get the UberBuss to me that he had to use a MajikBuss label with a U-02 serial number as the UberBuss label hadn't come in yet. I'll be getting one in the mail when they do show up.  aa  Regardless of the label it's a killer conditioner when compared to the Majik Buss which is a killer conditioner when compared to the Maher PE series walwart. It's the real deal and a must have for PC Audio AFAIC. I hope I can try mine out on a CDP at an upcoming NY RAVE so I can see what it'll do for that digital medium.  :thumb:

Restricted cheers,
Robin

Robin,

Can you expand a little on how the Uber and/or Majibuss compares to the Alan Maher stuff you are familiar with?

Thanks,
Anand.

Hi Anand,

1st let me apologise for not getting back to you on your question. I was temporarily "unavailable" for quite a period of time.  :duh:  As to your question, I have 14 Maher PE's of all different varieties. As much as I do like the PE's and will be keeping them in my system, comparing the whole lot of them with 1 MajicBuss is like comparing a fart to a whirlwind. 1st thing I did after breaking in the demo MajicBuss was yank all the PE's out and compare the 2. It was really a joke,,,,, on me for getting caught up on the Maher-go-round. :roll:  Why anyone would want to fill their home up with parellel filter wallwarts when a $595 MajicBuss parallel filter in one's system is far more effective, I dunno. To be fair now, this is really an apples to oranges comparison, it could very well be that Maher's larger more updated products could and would hold their own against the MajicBuss or the UberBuss. But at what cost,,,guess that would depend on when the individual first got onto the Maher-go-round to begin with and if there were anymore outlets left in the house.  :lol:  As I well know, the cost can rise prettly quickly on that ride and you can expect to lose up to 50% on resale value (from what I've seen anyways) which is 1 reason I'll be hanging onto my wallwarts.

In my A/V system, I have a BPT BP2.5 (heavily modified), 14 Maher PE's, 14 Z-Sleeves, 27 Bybee's, 2 Noise Disrupters, 2 Shakti Stones, an Acoustic Revive RGC-24 and RR-77, and 6 Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX. Even with all this, the UberBuss made a substantial improvement in both my audio and video..

Hope this answers your question Anand, sorry again for the delay.  :thumb:

edit: even tho my UberBuss is labeled MajicBuss, rest assured it's a custom built UberBuss. Dave made mine up before he had received the UberBuss labels so to insure their was a serial #, he used the MajicBuss labels. I have since recieved my UberBuss label from Dave. :D

Cheers,
Robin

guest1632

« Reply #181 on: 31 Mar 2010, 09:48 pm »
A UPS IS NOT a filtration unit.  It is exactly what it's acronym stands for and Uninterruptable Power Supply.  It houses a battery (DC power - usually 12 volts) that is used to provide AC power when an on board comparator senses a loss of incoming AC power.  The AC is created by an inverter.  It's output is incredibly dirty when it comes to noise.  It is an emergency device for power, not conditioning as we think of conditioning.  Great for computers, lousy for audio and video.

Wiki has a great description:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

The Majik Buss weighs 7.5 pounds.  It does not contain any active devices or series components and provides AC power that is purged of noise from 250Hz upwards.  It also does Power Factor Correction that makes inductive devices like transformers see current and voltage that is phase aligned much closer than the differential that is common in line provided AC power.  This translates to greater efficiency of transformers in equipment.  My system is 0.6 dB more efficient at 1KHz with the Buss providing power.

Again, wiki is your friend:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

Did that help  :scratch:

Regards,

Dave
PI audio group
www.piaudiogroup.com

Hi Dave,

Does this work like the unit, "Power Supply" from Transcendentsound.com? Could your stuff be included inside his box?

I don't have one, but the concept that Bruce presents is interesting nevertheless.

Ray Bronk

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #182 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:34 am »
Hi Dave,

Does this work like the unit, "Power Supply" from Transcendentsound.com? Could your stuff be included inside his box?

I don't have one, but the concept that Bruce presents is interesting nevertheless.

Ray Bronk
Nope Bruce, but I do like balanced transformers for supplying power to electronics.  A/C needs all of the help it can get.  The big problem with balanced transformers is they tend to be current limiting in nature.  They'll work well for some tube amps, but for current hungry BIG SS amps, not so much.

My units are completely passive and capable of passing 40 amps day in and day out.

Dave

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #183 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:01 am »
Nope Bruce, but I do like balanced transformers for supplying power to electronics.  A/C needs all of the help it can get.  The big problem with balanced transformers is they tend to be current limiting in nature.  They'll work well for some tube amps, but for current hungry BIG SS amps, not so much.

My units are completely passive and capable of passing 40 amps day in and day out.

Dave

I've never had an issue with my 2400 watt BPT Dave. I have 6 channels of 150 watts @ 8ohms going thru it and that's just 2 of 17 power cords going thru that balanced power conditioner. Dynamics have never been an issue, especially after plugging the BPT into the Uberbuss. Everything in my system just got better, from the PC audio to the Sony XBR HDTV.

Now I'm not saying that I'm not overtaxing the BPT,,, but I am saying that I've never noticed it and I like my music sorta loud,, sorta.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #184 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:35 am »

I've never had an issue with my 2400 watt BPT Dave. I have 6 channels of 150 watts @ 8ohms going thru it and that's just 2 of 17 power cords going thru that balanced power conditioner. Dynamics have never been an issue, especially after plugging the BPT into the Uberbuss. Everything in my system just got better, from the PC audio to the Sony XBR HDTV.

Now I'm not saying that I'm not overtaxing the BPT,,, but I am saying that I've never noticed it and I like my music sorta loud,, sorta.  8)

Cheers,
Robin
The UberBUSS makes the BPT a little more efficient... it likes transformers.

:D

The BPT 2400 is a brute and an exception to most balanced transformers that I see in use.  It is a good one.  I use a Topaz 2.5KVA ultraisolation transformer in my room on everything except my Dodds, of course...

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #185 on: 1 Apr 2010, 11:41 am »
and speaking of balanced transformers.... :D

Ray Bronk-Dave is actually making me a balanced supply with some of the Uberish goodies inside.  Just a thought!

jriggy

« Reply #186 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:59 pm »
Hello guys,

Judging from the reviews and comments, I am interested in a Majik BUSS, but know nothing about power for my system. I mean, I know nothing about this side of audio...
I am currently using all stock power cables with a APC J15 power conditioner w/ battery backup... My system has gone up the ladder very quickly in the last year and now I feel I really need to make some changes in the AC department.

I thought since I am interested in this product I could post this here...

Could you help me understand some of this? Do I still use my APC with the BUSS? Or just chuck it and use only the BUSS or two right into the wall? I think I read that some are still using a conditioner with a Majik BUSS.

Also, while Im here, any help on where to start informing myself would be appreciated. And please let me know if there is a better place for me to start if I am to much a beginner in power for this location.

Thanks

Jason

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #187 on: 5 Jul 2010, 07:25 pm »
Hello guys,

Judging from the reviews and comments, I am interested in a Majik BUSS, but know nothing about power for my system. I mean, I know nothing about this side of audio...
I am currently using all stock power cables with a APC J15 power conditioner w/ battery backup... My system has gone up the ladder very quickly in the last year and now I feel I really need to make some changes in the AC department.

I thought since I am interested in this product I could post this here...

Could you help me understand some of this? Do I still use my APC with the BUSS? Or just chuck it and use only the BUSS or two right into the wall? I think I read that some are still using a conditioner with a Majik BUSS.

Also, while Im here, any help on where to start informing myself would be appreciated. And please let me know if there is a better place for me to start if I am to much a beginner in power for this location.

Thanks

Jason

jriggy

Welcome to A.C. and the wonderful world of AC power.  The only one that can decide if you run the Buss alone or not is YOU.  I suggest you try it with and without and then decide.  I would think without would sound better but it all depends on the system. 

Also, if you can afford the extra beans, I would HIGHLY suggest you go for the UberBuss as it's easily worth the extra money.  If nothing else, try the Majik and see what you think and you can always get the Uber if you feel that the Majik helped. 

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

jriggy

« Reply #188 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:01 am »
Thanks so much!

Looks like this thread has now been moved here. Allowed me to find this group. I look forward to reading.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #189 on: 6 Jul 2010, 04:01 am »
Thanks so much!

Looks like this thread has now been moved here. Allowed me to find this group. I look forward to reading.
Welcome.  I hope that you find this a good place to visit often.

Please tell me about all of the gear in your system so I can make an informed observation about what is the best way to use what you have and if a BUSS is appropriate.

Thanks,

Dave

jriggy

« Reply #190 on: 10 Jul 2010, 10:14 pm »
Great Dave, thanks so much...

My system is a combination 2-ch / 5.1... Each side is on a different rack separated by the screen. So all the video gear is well away from the 2ch gear... But an issue I have now is not being able to keep audio cables completely away from power cords... I was thinking separate BUSSes would help me with cord and cable management, as well as clean up the sound.

I have two sources:
  ModWright Transporter, and a ModWright Oppo BDP 83 universal player
Two pre amps:
  Conrad-Johnson PV14Ls2 (2 ch), and a Cary Cinema 11 pre/pro (5.1)
One Amp (for now. Possibly turning into 2 to 3 soon):
   Parasound Halo A51 5 ch amp powering my newly acquired Daedalus Ulysses speakers. I will begin amp auditions asap and the Halo will be replaced by one or two amps for the Ulysses and will then implement and older Citation amp for center and surrounds.
Other gear:
  2 12" subs, Direct TV DVR box, LCD panel and the previously mentioned APC J15 power conditioner w/ battery back-up... Everything with stock power cords!

After taking the "look to your speakers first" approach, I purchased my dream speaker and now have the job of bringing the rest of the system together... My thoughts at this point were to possibly start with the AC and power cords (even though I may be looking at amps in the mean time as well)...
As I stated before, I do not know anything about AC really, other than the fact that I have a good buddy that could give me a dedicated circuit if I wanted it done. Is 20 amp necessary/the thing to do for that?
I don't know if most use or need protection like my current conditioner or if just cleaning up the power is fine.
I do not need to tackle all of this at once. Just doing enough for the 2 ch side would be fine with me to begin with.

I became interested in the Majik BUSS based on reviews here as well as price point.

Thanks again David

Jason

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #191 on: 11 Jul 2010, 02:12 am »
Great Dave, thanks so much...

My system is a combination 2-ch / 5.1... Each side is on a different rack separated by the screen. So all the video gear is well away from the 2ch gear... But an issue I have now is not being able to keep audio cables completely away from power cords... I was thinking separate BUSSes would help me with cord and cable management, as well as clean up the sound.

I have two sources:
  ModWright Transporter, and a ModWright Oppo BDP 83 universal player
Two pre amps:
  Conrad-Johnson PV14Ls2 (2 ch), and a Cary Cinema 11 pre/pro (5.1)
One Amp (for now. Possibly turning into 2 to 3 soon):
   Parasound Halo A51 5 ch amp powering my newly acquired Daedalus Ulysses speakers. I will begin amp auditions asap and the Halo will be replaced by one or two amps for the Ulysses and will then implement and older Citation amp for center and surrounds.
Other gear:
  2 12" subs, Direct TV DVR box, LCD panel and the previously mentioned APC J15 power conditioner w/ battery back-up... Everything with stock power cords!

After taking the "look to your speakers first" approach, I purchased my dream speaker and now have the job of bringing the rest of the system together... My thoughts at this point were to possibly start with the AC and power cords (even though I may be looking at amps in the mean time as well)...
As I stated before, I do not know anything about AC really, other than the fact that I have a good buddy that could give me a dedicated circuit if I wanted it done. Is 20 amp necessary/the thing to do for that?
I don't know if most use or need protection like my current conditioner or if just cleaning up the power is fine.
I do not need to tackle all of this at once. Just doing enough for the 2 ch side would be fine with me to begin with.

I became interested in the Majik BUSS based on reviews here as well as price point.

Thanks again David

Jason
Hey, another Jason!  Hi again, Jason.

It looks to me like you have a good start on a good plan for a really good A/V system.  I like it.  Keeping and using the APC will depend on what you do for amps, mostly.  A very high current soild state amp 'may not' work a;ll that well with the APC.  I'm afraid that it is one of those try it and see kind of experiments.  I sholu work OK with you front end and Tv.  If you are considering getting two units, the one that I would recommend to start with is the RevB..  It has a slightly improved MajikBUSS EMI brick with the PFC network from the Uber.  I would use it on the source/preamp, amp and perhaps the TV.  Once you decide on the amp and have some experience with the BUSS, you can choose the product for the amp(s) and whatever gear that you add.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Dave

mchuckp

« Reply #192 on: 17 Jul 2010, 04:12 pm »
I have a Majik Buss on demo from Danny (GR Research).  I was dusting this morning around my gear and as my ear got close I heard a buzzing.  I tracked it to the MB.  I unplugged it to confirm it was coming from it.  Not sure if it has always been there.  I don't hear it unless I'm pretty close to it.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Mike

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #193 on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:31 pm »
I have a Majik Buss on demo from Danny (GR Research).  I was dusting this morning around my gear and as my ear got close I heard a buzzing.  I tracked it to the MB.  I unplugged it to confirm it was coming from it.  Not sure if it has always been there.  I don't hear it unless I'm pretty close to it.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike - no, that is not normal. 

I have found that several of the units that have been repeatedly shipped for demo have had the internal glue joints broken and the EMI brick is floating... Please send it back to me.  I will issue a FedEx call tag for pickup and either repair the unit or send you a new one for evaluation.  It is safe, but the noise is disconcerting. 

UPS is one of the reason that I started potting all of my units.  Those guys could break a bowling ball.   :shake:

Look for my PM.

Thanks for letting me know.

Dave

ichillpill

« Reply #194 on: 22 Jul 2010, 08:10 pm »
I pm'ed Danny to demo the Rev B. He replied back with the go ahead and received the package 2 days ago with the Electra B7. I have read almost all the threads regarding the Busses ever since they came out and I have always been (sorry fellas) skeptical with the reviews for fear of exagerration of the reviews. The answer always comes down to how you yourself perceive how good a product is and how much of a difference it makes in your particular system/room...especially products that are equal or greater to in quality to products costing 2 to 3 times the price. So I signed up for a demo knowing that Danny has said that he doesn't get them back.

Back in 2002 I stumbled upon an announcement in the hometheaterforum about a local diy meet here in southern CA consisting of speakers from Adire Audio, GR research, madisound kits and others. The people showing off their builds were customers and diyers. I of course had no clue where these speakers came from but that was the beginning of my journey with the motiff that you don't have to spend (relatively speaking) lots of money to get quality sound.

Why am I ranting about this?

I know it's just been 2 days since I've had the RevB in my system and granted running time has only been about 3 hours tops I am dumbfounded yet again!

I don't want to say what has already been said but I have to share a bit! It's all true! I've also learned what a deeper soundstage is. Bad recordings just sound like bad recordings. But good recordings, they sound clearer, cleaner, and have more impact. Nuances are brought out like the sound is emanating from within the room; very creepy when watching movies like Avatar and Transformers. In scenes where there is just dialog (when I didn't hear anything before) you can her little things in the background. My example is from Avatar, right when Jake wakes up from hypersleep, that oxygen pump is much more defined and clearer in the background. Music just sounds more enjoying to listen to. I'm not going to rant anymore, it's been said in other threads. All true!

Now I understand why this is a "must have for every system". For all you skeptics out there, don't expect to return the Majik when you are demoing.

Dave and Danny, thank you for making a product whose quality surpasses its price and allowing people to enjoy their system much more at an affordable price. Robin and everyone else, thanks for your input and reviews!

I'm sorry to say it but for all my praise, but I AM returning the RevB... :icon_surprised:

To get the Uber...I didn't want to think about what I would miss out on for another $200.  :drool:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #195 on: 22 Jul 2010, 09:34 pm »
I'm not going to rant anymore, it's been said in other threads. All true!

Now I understand why this is a "must have for every system". For all you skeptics out there, don't expect to return the Majik when you are demoing.
Now you sound like the rest of us.  There will be more like yourself that will need to try it for themselves.

Dave and Danny, thank you for making a product whose quality surpasses its price and allowing people to enjoy their system much more at an affordable price. Robin and everyone else, thanks for your input and reviews!
One correction.  Dave is the sould builder of the Busses.  Danny is a retailer for these products.

I'm sorry to say it but for all my praise, but I AM returning the RevB... :icon_surprised:

To get the Uber...I didn't want to think about what I would miss out on for another $200.  :drool:
Very good move.  You will not regret it.  Then after that is the Mutha.   :D  Me so crazy!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #196 on: 22 Jul 2010, 10:08 pm »

Why ain't I surprised?  :lol:  It happens to many to demo the MajiK Buss, myself included. Welcome aboard the Buss.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin