advice on coffee makers

jermmd

Re: advice on coffee makers
« Reply #60 on: 18 Oct 2009, 01:34 pm »
Bob,

I'm still loving my Aeropress. We have an electric kettle that we had used for tea and it works great with the Aeropress for a quick cup of coffee. Also, I take back what I said about the coffee not being hot enough. That's really not an issue.

EthanH

« Reply #61 on: 18 Oct 2009, 02:05 pm »
I bought a Capresso drip machine with a thermal carafe a few months ago and have been really happy with it.  Coffee tastes very good, never burnt, and stays hot for a good four hours after brewing.  I highly recommend a Capresso machine.  I haven't used my Bodum French press since.

Christof

« Reply #62 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:04 pm »
Novice coffee drinker here. I'm thinking about purchasing a simple maker to brew a cup or two in the morning. Looking for something simple and easy to clean which requires no electricity. There seems to be a million different contraptions out there that all claim to make the best cup o joe. Thoughts? I live alone and only drink 1-2 cups in the morning, so I don't need anything too big.

I would suggest a Technivorm Moccamaster.
I've had thermos and non-thermos models for 15 years (And my family before that) and can highly recommend them.
Solid, durable, easy part replacement.

PLUS, it makes the best drip coffee (Which is all I drink)

Pricey, yes. But in this case, you DO get what you pay for.
I've had the KBG 741 (Or the KBS -- S for silver)
Currently I have the KBTS 741. I rather like making it into a thermos instead of a glass caraf.

Some links:
http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/drip/technivormmoccamaster
http://www.technivorm.com/
http://www.technivorm-us.com/

I also have a Technivorm and highly recommend it as a drip machine but as nice as it is I'm still partial to french press.

KT

« Reply #63 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:37 pm »
I purchased an Aeropress very shortly after they came to market and must say, it does make very nice coffee. I highly recommend it.

I haven't used it for a little over a year, though, for this reason: I get really concerned when boiling hot water hits the plastic and heats it up for several minutes. Specifically, I'm concerned about chemical leaching, particularly BPA and pthalates ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate ).

Though there seems to be no solid consensus on whether BPA actually is as bad as is claimed, there seems to be a lot of studies out there that do raise red flags for me. And that's in vessels used at room temps. Raise that to boiling temp and I'd think any sort of chemical leaching would be worse.

I was hoping, after Nalgene, Camelbak, and others changed their plastic formulation to BPA-free, that Aerobie would do the same in the Aeropress. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

So right now I use a small Bodum glass french press. The coffee comes out different between the two. I prefer the Aeropress; it's like a cross between french press and espresso. I, myself, prefer my coffee on the strong, robust, flavorful side.

I may pull out the Aeropress again and use it very sparingly; I really like the way it makes coffee.

Too bad about he plastic thing, though. I just get a really bad feeling in my gut about mixing boiling water in plastic, letting it heat up and steep for several minutes, and then then drinking that water, day after day after day.... (incidentally, I ditched my plastic Procter-Silex plug-in water kettle and replaced it with the Capresso glass model for the same reason, and try to avoid heating food in tupperware containters in the microwave, where there tend to be numerous overheated hot spots. No, I'm not an alarmist, just taking what I feel to be reasonable, easy-to-implement-and-manage precautions just in case.)

Anyhow, just my observations and concerns.

With any of these methods, a good grinder is critical. I use a discontinued Kitchenaid Professional model that was positively reviewed on Coffeegeek.com

Best,
KT

srb

« Reply #64 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:54 pm »
Though there seems to be no solid consensus on whether BPA actually is as bad as is claimed, there seems to be a lot of studies out there that do raise red flags for me. And that's in vessels used at room temps. Raise that to boiling temp and I'd think any sort of chemical leaching would be worse.

Too bad about he plastic thing, though. I just get a really bad feeling in my gut about mixing boiling water in plastic, letting it heat up and steep for several minutes, and then then drinking that water, day after day after day.... (incidentally, I ditched my plastic Procter-Silex plug-in water kettle and replaced it with the Capresso glass model for the same reason, and try to avoid heating food in tupperware containters in the microwave, where there tend to be numerous overheated hot spots. No, I'm not an alarmist, just taking what I feel to be reasonable, easy-to-implement-and-manage precautions just in case.)

I'm with you.  I've often wished my drip coffeemaker had a heavy Pyrex measuring cup-like cone filter holder instead of plastic.  You can't help but appreciate the inertness of the french press's glass and stainless steel.

Steve

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #65 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:09 am »
If you're pouring boiling water into the Aeropress, you're doing it wrong. Recommended temp is 175. 175 will also produce a smoother cup of coffee. There is a monster thread at Coffeegeek.com where the owner of the Aeroprees company addresses this issue.

konut

« Reply #66 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:11 am »
sorry, double post.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #67 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:34 am »
If you're pouring boiling water into the Aeropress, you're doing it wrong. Recommended temp is 175. 175 will also produce a smoother cup of coffee. There is a monster thread at Coffeegeek.com where the owner of the Aeroprees company addresses this issue.

Using my AeroPress, I like my water at 190 degrees myself, just under boiling. Lower than that makes for a lukewarm cup of coffee for me. What I have found handy is to after stirring the hot water/coffee grinds inside the AeroPress, I let it sit 4-5 minutes. By then, half of the mixture has already drained into my cup of prewarmed cream/sugar and by letting it sit, it makes for a richer coffee flavor. I use to press only a minute after adding the water but by waiting there is much more flavor to be had. I also use a 5oz measuring glass so the water & cream are exact per cup as are the microwave times I use for each.

I got my brew down to a science.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

PhishPhan

« Reply #68 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:14 am »
Boy, I forgot I started this thread. :duh:

I did pick up an AeroPress recently, and I must say, it's been great. Excellent coffee, simple to use and easy to clean up. It's perfect for those of us who live alone and only need a single cup in the morning. :thumb:

konut

« Reply #69 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:19 am »
[ Using my AeroPress, I like my water at 190 degrees myself, just under boiling. Lower than that makes for a lukewarm cup of coffee for me. What I have found handy is to after stirring the hot water/coffee grinds inside the AeroPress, I let it sit 4-5 minutes. By then, half of the mixture has already drained into my cup of prewarmed cream/sugar and by letting it sit, it makes for a richer coffee flavor. I use to press only a minute after adding the water but by waiting there is much more flavor to be had. I also use a 5oz measuring glass so the water & cream are exact per cup as are the microwave times I use for each.

I got my brew down to a science.  :thumb: Cheers,
Robin

I do something very similar. I heat water in a 16oz china tea kettle in a microwave for 3:33 at which point is just under boiling. By the time I pour the water into the Aeropress its at 175-180. I mix and let stand a couple minutes and then press into a cup that I pour hot water into before I start, so its not cold. I then empty into a preheated thermos, and add boiling water to the desired strength.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #70 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:32 am »
[ Using my AeroPress, I like my water at 190 degrees myself, just under boiling. Lower than that makes for a lukewarm cup of coffee for me. What I have found handy is to after stirring the hot water/coffee grinds inside the AeroPress, I let it sit 4-5 minutes. By then, half of the mixture has already drained into my cup of prewarmed cream/sugar and by letting it sit, it makes for a richer coffee flavor. I use to press only a minute after adding the water but by waiting there is much more flavor to be had. I also use a 5oz measuring glass so the water & cream are exact per cup as are the microwave times I use for each.

I got my brew down to a science.  :thumb: Cheers,
Robin

I do something very similar. I heat water in a 16oz china tea kettle in a microwave for 3:33 at which point is just under boiling. By the time I pour the water into the Aeropress its at 175-180. I mix and let stand a couple minutes and then press into a cup that I pour hot water into before I start, so its not cold. I then empty into a preheated thermos, and add boiling water to the desired strength.

2:04 minutes in my microwave but I'm making mine per cup and it's only 9.5oz of water, all of which going into the grinds for brewing. Then it's pressed into 14 tablespoons of cream, 24 seconds to warm in a doublewalled coffee glass mug,,,, hahahaha I like consistency.  :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #71 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:37 am »
Boy, I forgot I started this thread. :duh:

I did pick up an AeroPress recently, and I must say, it's been great. Excellent coffee, simple to use and easy to clean up. It's perfect for those of us who live alone and only need a single cup in the morning. :thumb:

I hear ya (I'm a loner also) but since I've had the AeroPress for the last year now, I'm gradually going to 1 cup in the morning, 1 in the afternoon,,, another one after supper,,, the flavor is addicting. It's just a matter of time before I have a cup before bedtime. :duh:   :icon_lol:

Cheers,
Robin

srb

« Reply #72 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:39 am »

2:04 minutes in my microwave but I'm making mine per cup and it's only 9.5oz of water, all of which going into the grinds for brewing. Then it's pressed into 14 tablespoons of cream, 24 seconds to warm in a doublewalled coffee glass mug,,,, hahahaha I like consistency.  :lol:

And voila! 131.27 degrees F!

Steve

Levi

« Reply #73 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:01 am »
I didn't know how easy roasting your own coffee beans until a friend showed it to me (that was last summer).  The beans we tried was purchased from sweet Maria.  We didn't drink the coffee after roasting, I was told that it needs to sit for a couple of hours perhaps a day for it to bloom.  We used different beans in brewing the coffee using vaccuum pot.  Here are some iPhone video's that I took.

Roasting

Analog coffee

Then Enjoy the coffee!  :thumb:

--Levi

KT

« Reply #74 on: 19 Oct 2009, 07:33 pm »
If you're pouring boiling water into the Aeropress, you're doing it wrong...

Here's the beginning of the relevant discussion: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/199784#199784

I tried it with 175-180 when I first started with the press. I agree that it is a smoother brew and probably the way to go when drunk black.

I often like my coffee with sugar and 1/2 & 1/2, however, and find that the flavor of a hotter brew produces a better experience in such a case. Thus the boiling water. The lower temp makes a brew that's too flat tasting with sugar and 1/2 & 1/2 to my tongue.

I don't think the 175 temp is gospel. According to Mr. Adler, it's what most of the pro cuppers preferred, so that became the default recommendation. Throughout the thread, Mr. Adler recommends adjusting different variables to fine tune the pull (push?); adjusting dose, temperature, etc., so 175 is just a good starting point.

It would be a good exercise to try it at different temps just to see if you prefer it at another temperature point. I think it largely comes down to personal preference.

I am still wary of the plastic issue at the lower temperature. It's still pretty hot and I just have it in my head that the combination of heat and plastic cannot be the healthiest mix, especially where ingestion is involved.

A great brewing method, though, that Aeropress.

Best,
KT

bummrush

« Reply #75 on: 19 Oct 2009, 08:48 pm »
  If you're drinking bitter coffee ,,most likely you are not using enough grounds,

bummrush

« Reply #76 on: 19 Oct 2009, 08:51 pm »
For above you could have some coffee before bed,just try some decaf in your aero or your press.

bummrush

« Reply #77 on: 19 Oct 2009, 08:53 pm »
  I use a Capresso to one of the few coffee makers that actually get up to proper temps when brewing.

konut

« Reply #78 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:23 pm »
  I think it largely comes down to personal preference.

Yeah, kinda like audio.  :green: And you're right, I do drink it black. Quality beans require no assistance. I do use cream, and I mean REAL cream in day old and mediocre coffee.

I am still wary of the plastic issue at the lower temperature. It's still pretty hot and I just have it in my head that the combination of heat and plastic cannot be the healthiest mix, especially where ingestion is involved.

A great brewing method, though, that Aeropress.

Best,
KT

If I was drinking gallons of the stuff, I'd be concerned, but I only drink 16oz of coffee a day.

ctviggen

« Reply #79 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:46 pm »

Using my AeroPress, I like my water at 190 degrees myself, just under boiling. Lower than that makes for a lukewarm cup of coffee for me. What I have found handy is to after stirring the hot water/coffee grinds inside the AeroPress, I let it sit 4-5 minutes. By then, half of the mixture has already drained into my cup of prewarmed cream/sugar and by letting it sit, it makes for a richer coffee flavor. I use to press only a minute after adding the water but by waiting there is much more flavor to be had. I also use a 5oz measuring glass so the water & cream are exact per cup as are the microwave times I use for each.

I got my brew down to a science.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

That's quite a bit different than what's recommended.  They recommend a mere 10 seconds of stirring, and this is what I'm using.  By the way, my wife loves this, as she can make a single cup of coffee each morning and it's a great cup of coffee (reminds her of the coffee we had in Rome on our honeymoon, which was great coffee; we also great yogurt there, too).