Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!
« Reply #200 on: 6 Jun 2015, 08:29 pm »
Hey Bob,
Sugar was first or second in the list of ingredients in all of them except the "Money" and "Simply Marv".
It was still in there, but it was halfway down the list.
Are you asking from a diabetic standpoint?
There's plenty of 'homemade" recipes on the BBQ site. I can see if any are light in the sugar content if you'd like.

Bob

ctviggen

« Reply #201 on: 6 Jun 2015, 08:38 pm »
Hey Bob,
Sugar was first or second in the list of ingredients in all of them except the "Money" and "Simply Marv".
It was still in there, but it was halfway down the list.
Are you asking from a diabetic standpoint?
There's plenty of 'homemade" recipes on the BBQ site. I can see if any are light in the sugar content if you'd like.

Bob

I'm not diabetic, but I am insulin resistant.  So, I've reduced my carbohydrate content to near zero.  I eat meat and vegetables primarily.  So, to get something that's low in sugar is good.  Naturally, since it's a rub, it's going to be spread out a bit.  Ribs are tougher, though, as there's a lot less meat, so the sugar-to-meat ratio can be high.

Which BBQ site are you recommending? I can go there too.

By the way, we bought a half a pig from the local farm.  The meat is fantastic.  Last year, we bought a quarter of a cow from the same place. I'm not sure I can go back to eating store-bought meat.

pehare

« Reply #202 on: 6 Jun 2015, 08:39 pm »
thanks for the recommendations fellas - exactly what I needed  - I've got some nice chops goin on the grille shortly.  cheers!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #203 on: 6 Jun 2015, 08:44 pm »
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/

That's the forum I belong to. Massive compared to any audio site I've belonged to, and a lot more traffic.
The people are great. You can hop in day one, and start asking "all the typical dumb questions", and the folks are more than willing to help.
There's a few ACers that belong there too.

I'd love to buy farm raised meat, but don't have anywhere to put it. But I can see how it would be addicting and ruin you for store bought.

There's also; http://amazingribs.com/table_of_contents.html
It's not a forum, but it's got more information about cooking outdoors than you can imagine. So much good information. They also debunk a lot of myths about BBQ too.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #204 on: 9 Jun 2015, 03:13 pm »
A true BBQer needs one of these:
https://teechip.com/pulled007

GentleBender

« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2015, 07:19 pm by GentleBender »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #206 on: 11 Jun 2015, 11:54 am »
Viggen, I ran across this one and thought about you. Looks like it's right up your alley:
(I have not tried it)

1 tsp Cayenne
3 Tbsp Kosher Salt ( I use sea salt)
3 Tbsp Course Pepper (I use black pepper)
2 Tbsp Dried Thyme
2 Tbsp Marjoram (Oregano)
6 Tbsp Cumin
4 Tbsp Allspice
6 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Garlic Salt
4 Tsp Celery Seed
4 Tbsp Chili Powder
Coat Ribs With Yellow Mustard

BobM

« Reply #207 on: 11 Jun 2015, 05:28 pm »
Someone earlier on this thread (or maybe another BBQ thread somewhere - don't remember) said they key to their rub was to use several different peppers rather than just the cayenne and black that many on-line recipe's recommend. I tried that and can attest that using several different peppers makes for a more tasty rub overall.

I cut back on the cayenne and black and add a bit of chili pepper/powder and white pepper. Also found a wee bit of cumin and paprika, onion, mustard, allspice, and various dried spices (oregano, thyme, garlic, etc.) plus the usual Kosher salt can be added depending on the type of meat or fish being smoked. In general, fatty meats need more spice, while something like salmon or fish rarely get much more then just some olive oil and salt - all to your taste, of course.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #208 on: 11 Jun 2015, 11:07 pm »
 I never had much luck doing pork ribs on the BBQ. Sometimes good. Sometimes not good and chewy. So I came up with this recipe doing them in the oven and if you like throw them on the BBQ for about ten minutes.

Sauce.
  I cup of soy sauce
  1 cup of sherry wine
  1 cup of brown sugar
   Dry mustard. About 1.5 tablespoons.
  Garlic powder. As much as you like
  Put all of the above ingredients into a sauce pan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about ten minutes.

Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan with two layers of foil. Don't use a glass baking pan.
  Lay the ribs in the baking pan and pour the sauce over them Cook for 1.5 hours. Put them on the BBQ for about ten minutes.
 Very easy recipe and great tasting pork ribs.

Cheers
                                   Charlie
 P.S.
  This recipe works great with chicken wings. But I don't put them on the BBQ afterwards.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #209 on: 21 Jun 2015, 03:28 pm »
My Birthday WSM is getting pimped out! I decided that a hot smoker can be a hard thing to move if you have to while smoking, so... Maybe the 3/8ths lag bolts were a bit much, but the wheels shouldn't fall off and it rolls like a dream across my brick pavers! I'll cut a hole under the heat sheild when I get back from the beach! (YAY FATHERS DAY!!!) I'll coat it with epoxy and paint it black to go with the WSM. Happy Fathers Day, everybody!!!

mav52

« Reply #210 on: 21 Jun 2015, 03:38 pm »
My Birthday WSM is getting pimped out! I decided that a hot smoker can be a hard thing to move if you have to while smoking, so... Maybe the 3/8ths lag bolts were a bit much, but the wheels shouldn't fall off and it rolls like a dream across my brick pavers! I'll cut a hole under the heat sheild when I get back from the beach! (YAY FATHERS DAY!!!) I'll coat it with epoxy and paint it black to go with the WSM. Happy Fathers Day, everybody!!!

Great idea. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #211 on: 21 Jun 2015, 07:38 pm »
Now all ya need is to take the handle from your kids "Little Red Wagon" and mount it on WSM cart.  8)

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #212 on: 21 Jun 2015, 08:23 pm »

That is a good idea. When the wind is blowing the wrong direction, you can move it easily, to a better location. I like smoking, but not when it's blowing back towards my entryway.

Good luck.
V...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #213 on: 21 Jun 2015, 08:32 pm »
Speaking of wind...I've seen guys put their WSM on a cart like yours, but they'll also build three walls around it as a wind break.
That way, they can keep the temps steadier and won't burn through as much fuel.
Also helps in the winter time to insulate it a bit.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #214 on: 22 Jun 2015, 12:25 pm »
Yup Bob!!! Great minds think alike!!! This little WSM mod is just the TIP of the ICEBERG, so to speak. I've ordered some real "Pimp your smoker" parts, like the heavy stainless door from Cajun Bandit, 5 lbs of Simply Marvelous rub from Big Poppa Smokers, and I'm getting the hinge mod/nomex seal kit for my WSM. I need a 733 Maverick temp probe and then I'll be SET!!! We LOVE this smoker!!! I'm building a smoking "station", so to speak, so I can slide the smoker in place between a left and right table.The tables will be just below the lid height, and insulated around the smoker to keep things from getting hot. With the WSM you always need a place to set the meat/tools/gloves/beer etc. Just a fun lil project! And thank you for the help!!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #215 on: 22 Jun 2015, 01:18 pm »
Hey Ed, I know where you're coming from about the mods.
But if you're like me (and I think you are), you're quickly going to outgrow the WSM, especially since it's the 18".
I had plans on building all kinds of "accessories" for mine, but never got around to them.
Well.....Fast forward a couple years and I'm now wanting a "bigger better faster more" unit and no longer want to build upgrades for the WSM.

I can't afford to buy the cooker/smoker I really want, because they're $2,000 to $3,000.  :duh:

So....I'm thinking about building >>one of these<<:thumb:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #216 on: 22 Jun 2015, 02:22 pm »
if you want something that will last you a while.
http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Insulated-Smokers.html
you could drive down to save on shipping.  make a vacation out of it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #217 on: 22 Jun 2015, 02:29 pm »
Yup. That's the price range I was talking about.  :lol: :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #218 on: 22 Jun 2015, 05:57 pm »
I think this belongs here:  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #219 on: 22 Jun 2015, 06:53 pm »
Did a smoked chicken in the Weber yesterday (while catching lots of US Open coverage), and liked it a lot.  I am very much enjoying using the Weber Silver 22 I bought 2 years ago for "fun" cooking, and letting my now 10 year old Napoleon NG BBQ handle the big stuff.

I will have to snap some pics of what my in law's neighbor built at their cottage.  They like their smoked fish.  They built a smoke house.  Brick.

They are in the masonry trade, so although rather plain looking, it is well built indeed.