Yet another Windows 10 issue for me

Doublej

Yet another Windows 10 issue for me
« on: 2 May 2020, 08:00 pm »
When I click on autoplay for my DVD drive MusicBee appears and is blank. I was having problems with Windows being able to use it so I figured if I removed it and then eventually added it all would be good

I started by removing it but Windows think it's still there, sort of. I have already been through one round of removing it and adding it back with no success.

I tried a couple of things to rebuild the thumbnail cache with no success. I am not sure that is what is needed. Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: 3 May 2020, 12:04 pm by Doublej »

WGH

Re: Yet another Windows 10 issue for me
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2020, 08:18 pm »
Have you been here in the Control Panel:

How to Choose and Change the Default Programs in Windows 10
https://www.lifewire.com/changing-windows-10-default-programs-3958942

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2020, 08:26 pm »
Have you been here in the Control Panel:

How to Choose and Change the Default Programs in Windows 10
https://www.lifewire.com/changing-windows-10-default-programs-3958942

Yes, tried that first with no luck before moving on to removing MusicBee.
« Last Edit: 3 May 2020, 12:05 pm by Doublej »

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2020, 09:54 pm »
Are you done with MusicBee? Going to another music program? Install the new program, make it the default and don't worry about the MusicBee bits flying around.

Or

If you want to swat that MusicBee after an uninstall then there may be some leftover entries in the registry. I haven't used a registry cleaner in years but they exist because of problems just like you are having.

CCleaner has been around for ages
Auslogics Registry Cleaner Free is a solid choice

https://www.lifewire.com/free-registry-cleaners-2626176
All free programs want to install "add-ons". Look carefully at each install screen for tiny boxes to check or un-check. Don't get stung.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2020, 12:56 am »
No I want o use MusicBee as my default player but Windows won't let me. I tried uninstalling it and running CCleaner and a couple of other registry cleaners but Windows still has vestiges of it and won't let it go.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2020, 01:14 am »
Do you could start Musicbee and look the drive D and select play ?

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2020, 04:01 am »
I tried uninstalling it and running CCleaner and a couple of other registry cleaners but Windows still has vestiges of it and won't let it go.

Trying to find out what doesn't work by eliminating possible problems

After the uninstall and reg clean do a complete shut down [press the Shift key while clicking Shut Down] Windows has to be 100% off.
The cleaned registry will load on start.

"When you click “Shut Down” on your Windows 10 PC, Windows doesn't fully shut down. It hibernates the kernel, saving its state so it can boot faster. If you're experiencing computer problems and need to reset that state, you'll need to restart your PC instead."

"The easiest method is to simply hold down the shift key before you click the power icon and select “shut down” on Windows' Start Menu, the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen, or its Lock screen. This will force your system to actually shut down your PC, not hybrid-shut-down your PC"

Flip Off 'Fast Startup' to Force Windows 10 to Shut Down for Real
https://lifehacker.com/shutting-down-windows-10-doesnt-actually-shut-down-wind-1825532376
« Last Edit: 3 May 2020, 05:19 am by WGH »

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2020, 12:04 pm »
Tried the uninstall, RegClean, full shutdown, no joy. Reinstalled MusicBee, added it to the context menu and now when I right click on to bring up the context menu and select Play with MusicBee, I get the following error:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.

But if I do the same and select Play with VLC it plays.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2020, 02:43 pm »
Tried the uninstall, RegClean, full shutdown, no joy. Reinstalled MusicBee, added it to the context menu and now when I right click on to bring up the context menu and select Play with MusicBee, I get the following error:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.

But if I do the same and select Play with VLC it plays.

Have you tried this?  https://www.itechtics.com/run-programs-administrator/   Are there any setting (e.g. firewall) that could account for what you are getting?