seeking advice on amp for my HD800

audiojerry

seeking advice on amp for my HD800
« on: 13 Mar 2011, 03:50 am »
Hi headphone experts! I recently acquired a used HD800, and OMG - I'm blown away by the experience!
I'm currently switching between the headphone jack on a vintage Fisher 500c tube receiver, and the headphone jack on a vintage Nakamichi TA-4A Stasis receiver. Both sound great, but I'm wondering if it could be even better with a good, reasonably priced headphone amp. I've heard Ray Samuels makes great amps. I was also looking at the Hall PH25.2. Would that be a reasonable option?

And by reasonably priced, I was hoping for a $500 limit for a good used piece. 

Thanks for any advice.     

minimus

Re: seeking advice on amp for my HD800
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2011, 05:45 am »
I would avoid Ray Samuels Audio.  The amps don't sound very good, resale value is not great, and his specialty is really portable amps.

I think you will get stunning sound from an OTL tube headphone amp.  I would look high and low for a used Woo 2 or Decware CSP-2.  Nothing in my view will sound as good as a tube OTL amp.  That has been my experience, and I have owned and heard quite a few headphone amps.

If you want solid state, Blue Circle makes some very good headphone amps.  Headamp, Meier Audio, and Violectric are also supposed to be good and will at least retain their value quite well if you move in a different direction.  The place to look for used is (obviously) on the Head-fi forum.

cryoparts

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2011, 06:25 am »
The RSA Apache is a fine amp.  I've owned one in the past and found it to perform well with the HD800's.

If you are set on the HD800's, look at a Eddie Current balancing act. 

The Triode Corp of Japan integrated's have a heck of a good headphone amp built in, as does the Cary SLI-80.  Both sound quite good with the HD800.

Edit--Oops, just noticed your price limit.  Stretch a bit and get a Burson HA-160, or find a used one.  There is an Earmax on AudiogoN right now for $275, that is a cool little amp, although I haven't heard it with the 800's.

Peace,

Lee

audiojerry

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2011, 05:29 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
I'll look into your recommendations.
While we're on the subject of the HD800, what's your opinion on that?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2011, 06:22 pm »
HD800's sound a bit bright, IMO.  They mate well with tube amps, the Woo Audio suggestion is a good one, but any good quality tube amp (not a hybrid, a full tube amp) will match well with the 800's.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2011, 07:19 pm »
I bought the Musical Paradise MP-301 for headphones and love it, all tubes baby!!! 6 watts X 2 and the new better version just came out which I will have to get some how...worth a look..$247

and a link to the webstore:  No affiliation here except I'm a happy customer!!
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=75

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2011, 07:26 pm »
To me, they don't sound bright at all, but I am using them with my main audio system, which includes Ridge Street Audio silver inteconnects, high quality ZU Cable powercords, separate isolation transformers for digiital and analog components, PS Audio power outlets, a Classe CD transport, and Modright modified P3A DAC. So, I believe the associated equipment allows the Senn's to be at their best. I just don't know about the amplification I'm currently using. 
My main system includes ProAc 2.5 speakers, which is a great sounding, highly resolving, non-bright speaker. And the Senn's are a equally non-bright, but even more resolving. They just can't produce a 3 dimensional soundstage like the ProAc's.

I think highly resolving headphones, like highly resolving speakers may sound bright as a manifestation of something on the front-end. When I tried the HD800 on my far more modest HT system, the sound was a bit bright, but also boring.   

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2011, 07:32 pm »
RED WINE AUDIO....

cryoparts

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:37 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
I'll look into your recommendations.
While we're on the subject of the HD800, what's your opinion on that?

Good cans, not my favorite, but they do some things really well.  With the right cables, amp, and associated gear, they can sound pretty good.  Just mho.

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:43 pm »
Shipping 04/15.  I think I'll order one, I can have it sent to you first, if you would like ti hear it (and break it in for me, ha!).  I'm happy to do that, if you'd like.

Peace,

Lee

I bought the Musical Paradise MP-301 for headphones and love it, all tubes baby!!! 6 watts X 2 and the new better version just came out which I will have to get some how...worth a look..$247

and a link to the webstore:  No affiliation here except I'm a happy customer!!
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=75

audiojerry

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:21 am »
I'm really excited about that little MP-301. At 6wpc, it could even drive a set of speakers at reasonable levels, and I luv the way it looks. I was skeptical about the sound quality of such an inexpensive amp, so I checked the website which was loaded with testimonials, which isn't necessarily impartial coming from the company's own website, so I looked for them on Ebay, and they have a flawless reputation there as well.

Add to that a money back guarantee by Musical Paradise, and how can you go wrong? Does anyone have more personal knowledge of the company or owner? Is it a one man shop?

Thanks, Eclein, and to you Lee. You don't even know me and you are offering to send the amp to me first? Let me know, and I'd be happy to take you up on your offer.

That's what I always loved about AC. I used to be a very involved and active member, but I haven't visited with the AC folks much the past few years, but I always loved the sense of community.   

cryoparts

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2011, 08:19 pm »
I actually meant eclein, but, I certainly have no problem sending it to you as well, maybe eclein could send it to you after he tries it, and then you can ship it to me?  As long as I have it a month, or so, after they are released, I am cool with it.  eclein, please shoot me a PM if you are interested.

FWIW--I don't represent this product at all, and have never heard one, I am simply interested in bang for the buck products, and this amp is so inexpensive that I am willing to take a punt.  So, if it sucks, or blows up, or something, don't blame me!   :lol:

Peace,

Lee

I'm really excited about that little MP-301. At 6wpc, it could even drive a set of speakers at reasonable levels, and I luv the way it looks. I was skeptical about the sound quality of such an inexpensive amp, so I checked the website which was loaded with testimonials, which isn't necessarily impartial coming from the company's own website, so I looked for them on Ebay, and they have a flawless reputation there as well.

Add to that a money back guarantee by Musical Paradise, and how can you go wrong? Does anyone have more personal knowledge of the company or owner? Is it a one man shop?

Thanks, Eclein, and to you Lee. You don't even know me and you are offering to send the amp to me first? Let me know, and I'd be happy to take you up on your offer.

That's what I always loved about AC. I used to be a very involved and active member, but I haven't visited with the AC folks much the past few years, but I always loved the sense of community.

tomwhite

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:14 pm »
The HA-160 is a nice match for the HD800's (as mentioned before)..you can feel the power when using it.  :thumb: 

Here's a review.

audiojerry

« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2011, 12:16 am »
Sorry for being presumptuous, Lee. Thanks for the offer, but I've decided to purchase from Musical Paradise directly.
I think it would be more supportive of their business, and they do offer a money back guarantee.

In the past, when I was an active AC participant, we arranged group auditions with several AC companies to help introduce a new product and spread the word. We made it work by setting up a thread where folks would sign up to get on an audition list with the manufacturer/designer, and each person on the list would ship it to the next person on the list after auditioning it for a few days. The last person on the list would ship it back to the manufacturer.   

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2011, 11:56 am »
Hi Jerry, long time no see! How did that one work out for you?

audiojerry

« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2011, 01:05 pm »
Hi John - how are things down under? Were you affected by that awful flooding?

I'm really liking the 800's. They are beginning to win me over, and I'm listening to them almost exclusively. Part of that might be due to the excitement of having a new toy, but the quality of the sound is so impressive. It's like listening to a full range speaker system with unlimited dynamic range and the elimination of all room effects. The frequency response is so balanced with no noticeable exaggeration or absence of any frequency range. They are extremely resolving and allow me to hear much more deeply into the music. I previously owned an HD600 and there is no comparison. No speaker system I've heard offers the same sound quality and top to bottom balance. The only thing I don't get - and this is a really big thing - is the deep soundstage laid out in front of me. It requires a different mindset.

The 800's do require a high quality front end, and I still listen through my high-end system, but I am using a Grado RA1 headphone amp, which sounds great, but I'm still looking for an upgrade.  When I tried the 800's with my HT receiver and my MP3 player, the sound quality was nothing special. The Grado really benefited by plugging it into an isolation transformer.

In addition to the Grado, I've tried a Pro-ject and Audio Alchemy headphone amp. The Audio Alchemy had potential, but it died after only a couple of hours.       

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2011, 01:43 pm »
Schiit amps? Many say they are good, I have yet to hear. Attractive for the price.
http://schiit.com/

Gonna build my Bottlehead Crack OTL amp one of these days.
http://bottlehead.com/

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2011, 02:02 pm »
Hi John - how are things down under? Were you affected by that awful flooding?

Only very indirectly.

I'm really liking the 800's. They are beginning to win me over, and I'm listening to them almost exclusively. Part of that might be due to the excitement of having a new toy, but the quality of the sound is so impressive. It's like listening to a full range speaker system with unlimited dynamic range and the elimination of all room effects. The frequency response is so balanced with no noticeable exaggeration or absence of any frequency range. They are extremely resolving and allow me to hear much more deeply into the music. I previously owned an HD600 and there is no comparison. No speaker system I've heard offers the same sound quality and top to bottom balance. The only thing I don't get - and this is a really big thing - is the deep soundstage laid out in front of me. It requires a different mindset.

Interesting to hear. Are you able to listen for long periods?

audiojerry

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2011, 02:52 pm »
Interesting to hear. Are you able to listen for long periods?

Yes - I hardly notice them and they are very well vented and airy, so my ears don't get hot.

Before I bought them, I thought they were very pricey, and I still do, but after using them, I'm thinking they sound better than my $4500 ProAc's, and better than any other speaker I've heard; so maybe they are worth it. I'm just wondering if a better headphone amp can make a difference.   

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2011, 01:13 am »
I'm just wondering if a better headphone amp can make a difference.

Yes it does. Are you looking to upgrade?  :wink: