Sleek Audio SA-6 (now discontinued)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Sleek Audio SA-6 (now discontinued)
« on: 7 May 2011, 02:19 am »
Years back I saw one of the first review units and said outloud "I have got to get some of those", remember in the first Star Trek's O'Hura wore those crazy, futuristic looking earpieces...these:

They were a new design at the time and pricey which kept me away but I followed the company since then and a few weeks back I saw the now discontinued SA-6 at: Todd The Vinyl Junkie's website, and a quick call answered by Todd himself reserved me a pair. So some 6 years later I finally got some!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!
....and as you can see their is plenty of tiny tweaks, ports and little tubes and plugs you can mess with, more later....

Pez

Re: Sleek Audio SA-6 (now discontinued)
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2011, 02:43 am »
Wow, those are a lot of small parts. Interesting concept to have tunable IEMs.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2011, 03:38 am »
...the tuning stuff works to

JDUBS

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2011, 02:26 pm »
I got these when they first came out and still like them quite a bit.

-Jim

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2011, 04:20 pm »
I've been facinated with these for a while.  Didn't pull the trigger because they are supposed to have reliability problems with all of the little parts.  Maybe I should get them on closeout. 

What IEM's have you compared them to?  Lots of options these days. 

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2011, 06:09 pm »
The only other really good IEM's I have are UE700, Ultimate Ears and they are about even with them in my opinion but you know, all IEM's have slightly different sound signature. The SA-6 even with the bass+ port installed could use more bass in some folks minds I'm sure, they sound excellent and I screwed around with the ports, plugs & tips a good bit yesterday. This version is the most recent version before they stopped making them because they come with an extra treble tube for "extended highs" and I'm using those along with the Bass+ port and Med. tips and I'm getting a nicely detailed yet smooth sound thats pretty flat which is the way I like it.
  They are smaller in person than I thought which is good, and they are off the charts for me in the cool looks department. Todd the Vinyl Junkie (TTVJ.com) is the only place I have ever seen them, and they are in the clearance/used equipment area of the website for $129 NIB and if I hadn't been just checking out his website I would not have seen them. I checked with Sleek and Todd is an authorised dealer so I'll get full warranty/service as needed, the only other place I found them was ebay for like $350 with $240 being the cheapest before I found TTVJ.com.....I plan on trying to get the new SA-7's due anyday now but at $399 thats gonna be awhile. If I were you I'd jump because I really, really got lucky I think to find these last ones..

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2011, 01:50 pm »
I finally got a chance to sit and listen to these at some length last night same config: Bass+ port, Extended Highs-Treble tube, med. size flange buds. These are very much what you make them to be sound wise, you can't make these super bass heavy and that always sounded unnatural to me anyway so I haven't really tried to.
 The high end of the spectrum is nicely handled for me with the extended highs. So last night I listened to a whole bunch of Steely Dan, Al Dimeola and Pat Metheny which always get heavy play in my rotation and was never disappointed in fact quite often I had to check and see if they were still in my ear-they were- because it was so easy to loose any physical connection with myself and the IEM's because they fit so well, another piece to this is the fact that for me the sound just comes from around my head with no really easy to pick out specific point of sound. They are as smooth as you want them to be and very easy to wear for extended periods of time. I really like these and I'll be keeping them for sure and probably ease up on any new IEM purchases as I feel like I have a nice assortment now, the UE700's are an even match or maybe even a point ahead on some types of music but either pair would be fine with me if they were my sole IEM's.
  Consider the fact that these SA-6's were originally released maybe 5 or more years back and Sleek is just now upgrading the IEM's they produce and like I said earlier I got my eye on some SA-7's when they arrive, might take awhile but I'll have some in my mits before too, too long.
 Enjoy the day everyone!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2011, 03:34 pm »
For $129, these look like a great deal.  I'm shelling cash for too many things right now (bike stuff, etc.) but these are on my list.  I might have to give TTVJ a call...

Cheers!

J

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2011, 12:06 am »
At $129, these are a no-brainer.  There are complaints about durability, but I've run several hundred miles with mine, and never had an issue.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2011, 01:03 am »
I had some Etymotics briefly in the past.  Had to send them back b/c I do lots of walking with my ipod and they warbled on me with every step.  How are these while in motion?  You run with these, Mike?  Any issues?  THANKS!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2011, 02:35 am »
Wherever you buy the SA6 just make sure they are an authorized dealer, Todd The Vinyl Junkie where I got mine is, that way Sleek will honor the warranty that comes with the IEMS. I checked with Sleek before I bought and they told me he was so warranty would be honored.
 I don't know specifically what the issue was that plagued these, it has something to do with the cable where it connects to each IEM from what I've read but I didn't dig too far as I was getting them either way...originally sold for $249 and Todd has them for $129 so I was jumping at these regardless.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2011, 02:25 am »
So I have had these for awhile now and they are now my favorite out of all the ones I recently picked up. When I saw these for the very first time while reading a magazine and seeing a review I was immediately struck by the tunability these claimed to offer-its true they are very tunable, its not a gimmick and its a little involved but considering what you are able to do with the sound of these and the fact that you are able to mold it to your personal preference it's actually pretty amazing I think.
    Sleek has a new model coming out, actually two, the SA-6R that takes the place of the ones I have the SA-6 and the new hi-end SA-7 ($399)

SA-6R

SA-7

Now those are both very cool looking in my book, wish I could cut lawns like I did when I was a kid....LOL. :thumb: :thumb:

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2011, 05:17 am »
I had some Etymotics briefly in the past.  Had to send them back b/c I do lots of walking with my ipod and they warbled on me with every step.  How are these while in motion?  You run with these, Mike?  Any issues?  THANKS!

That...phenomena...doesn't bother me.