Going Without

Mag

Going Without
« on: 11 May 2018, 04:56 pm »
Started my new job, don't know how long I'll last. 4-12 hour shifts, with no time to do much when I get home and it's back to bed. My body hurts all over from the work marathon of standing, have to wear earplugs, living in silence for 4 days as I am in work mode.

Now I'm having a music marathon with 3 days off. Let me tell you I have a new appreciation for my stereo as it sounds so good having broken from the silence fasting.

Breaking from steady listening has done me some good, as I was out of work for 5 months.

Speaking of Silence I learned right out of high school on an elevation survey job, to appreciate silence. As that job cleared my head from sustained noise, just listening to the wind on the bald prairie. So when I'm not listening to tunes I'm in quiet time, gives me peace of mind. :smoke:

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Going Without
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2018, 10:03 pm »
Sounds like one of those jobs that takes some getting used to. My daughter just started a job where she's overseeing the renovation of a retail outlet. All of the work takes place between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. She's getting used to it, luckily she's young.

Good luck with your new job. Keep enjoying those tunes when time permits.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2018, 10:58 pm »
Good luck with the new job - it's tough to go back to work after having time off.  I retired the first time for almost 6 years and then went back for almost 6 years (for medical benefits).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2018, 11:02 pm »
Congratulations for the new job. In my country the schedules are not so good, 4 days of shift of 12 hours without any interval to launch, and only 2 days off. There is another scales even worse: 5 x 2 and 5 x 1 with ''higher'' salary, all 12 hours continuous no sneak time.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2018, 11:31 pm »
12 hour days are brutal, but nobody minds having 3 days off.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2018, 11:37 pm »
Forget to mention 2 buses to go to work, plus 2 buses to go back home, all this to earn $400/450 USD month, not many people happy around ((

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2018, 12:09 am »
Congratulations for the new job. In my country the schedules are not so good, 4 days of shift of 12 hours without any interval to launch, and only 2 days off. There is another scales even worse: 5 x 2 and 5 x 1 with ''higher'' salary, all 12 hours continuous no sneak time.

That's brutal, we have labour standards here that employers have to meet. However if you're a self-employed contractor employers can skirt the labour laws. I make $16.00 per/hour plus over-time of (time + 1/2). Enough to buy new stereo equipment, but I need to save for retirement.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2018, 12:17 am »
I earn this same amount per working day, suicide rates are very high, government official statistics say there are 14 million unemployed.