BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #360 on: 30 Dec 2017, 06:45 pm »
^ Agree with the above.

I use iTunes to preview albums before deciding to buy CD or download from other sites like PrestoClassical or Pro Studio Masters.

zoom25

« Reply #361 on: 30 Dec 2017, 08:27 pm »
Zoom25, I apologize for my somewhat snarky and poorly written last post. But, without making things too complicated, I own a couple of thousand CDs so I import all my music using iTunes and importing the CDs using aiff files. I also own a few hi res albums from HD Tracks that I import as aiff files at 192/24 PCM. I have used both Roon and Tidal, but I find the best sound from my BDP-2 is from my own imported aiff files and not from Tidal or the hi res files from HD Tracks. I find the USB flash drives with 128 or 256 gigabytes of space to be totally sufficient without the use of a built in hard drive. I think that using Roon and Tidal are a waste of money, and for those who use Tidal to hear new music, you can do the same for free with the BDP-2 built in radio stations of every genre.

Thanks. It makes more sense now. Let's break down some things. They may be helpful to others as well.

Storage - For those with small libraries, flash drives are perfect. For people with large libraries, they will need a hard drive or a SSD. Keeping multiple flash drives can be confusing in keeping them in sync. You also get more for your money with HDD.

The problem (not really) as far as SQ goes, which even James Tanner, has supported is that flash drives sound the best when plugged into the BDP, rather than hard drives. Krutsch found flash drives better than SSDs as well.

The one benefit with Roon and separation is that you can use any storage and the sound will be the same. So cheap HDD are perfect for the job. Although, if one uses NAS with their BDP, then it doesn't matter with MPD either.

Value: Tidal, Roon - I don't use Tidal. I use Spotify for all my previewing and casual listening. Whether someone sees the value in Tidal or Roon, that is something one has to decide for themselves.

If someone doesn't see the value in a product, then that chapter is closed. My comments were only based with SQ in mind.

As I was telling Krutsch somewhere else, Roon's optimization in RAAT and networking has improved since last year. The SQ has gone up from Roon last year vs. this year. However, the SQ of Roon cannot be boiled down to the Roon software alone. I also think the networking gear used makes a significant difference in sound quality.

If one is using ethernet, I'd highly recommend using a grounded linear power supply for the final network switch that will feed the BDP. I use a Teradak U9 with my network switch. I also use double shielded ethernet cables with grounds removed around my gear.

I fully realize that most don't care about these things or don't want to bother with these things, which is fine. However, I think people should understand that it's not as simple as saying "MPD sounds better than Roon" or vice versa. Aside from the software and resource usage, they should also consider the associated gear used in the process. It's a combination of both. The power supplies is the biggest part and often ignored.

This is why if you'll read my comments on Roon last year, they'll be less than favourable. Part of it had to do with improving my network gear and also improving their RAAT.

I hope that makes things clear.

gbaby

« Reply #362 on: 30 Dec 2017, 09:30 pm »
Zoom25 I failed to mention that when I use iTunes to import music, it is imported to a 2 Terabyte Toshiba hard drive, and from this hard drive, I copy the music to individual flash drives and connect those to the BDP-2. With MPD, all music sounds better than on a CD player, even a high end CD player.  :wink:

Xinon

« Reply #363 on: 30 Dec 2017, 11:29 pm »
Others finding ROON on BDP3 unstable?
I can play for some time, suddenly there is a static pop and sound is gone.
I get sound back by restarting Bdp3 and/or restart ROON MODE and Go in advanced and choose BDA3 Audio 2.0-USB Audio, and save.
Im using BDP3 -- USB -- BDA3.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2017, 12:40 am by Xinon »

gbaby

« Reply #364 on: 31 Dec 2017, 02:18 am »
Others finding ROON on BDP3 unstable?
I can play for some time, suddenly there is a static pop and sound is gone.
I get sound back by restarting Bdp3 and/or restart ROON MODE and Go in advanced and choose BDA3 Audio 2.0-USB Audio, and save.
Im using BDP3 -- USB -- BDA3.

Are you using Roon because you don't like Manic Moose? What source from do you listen to for the majority of your music?

zoom25

« Reply #365 on: 31 Dec 2017, 03:35 am »
Are you using Roon because you don't like Manic Moose? What source from do you listen to for the majority of your music?

When you used Roon with BDP, did you use wireless dongle or wired with ethernet? If you used wired, did you connect the BDP to a network switch or a router? Did you use stock power supplies that the router or network switch came with?

gbaby

« Reply #366 on: 31 Dec 2017, 04:04 am »
When you used Roon with BDP, did you use wireless dongle or wired with ethernet? If you used wired, did you connect the BDP to a network switch or a router? Did you use stock power supplies that the router or network switch came with?

I have no wired ethernet connection; I use a bridge. Regardless, I have absolutely zero interest in doing anything to make Roon sound better or to use it period. I don't need it or want it. I am satisfied with Manic Moose and my ability to access all my music files intuitively and conveniently with sonic bliss.

Xinon

« Reply #367 on: 31 Dec 2017, 02:54 pm »

I have BDP3 connected with wire directly to Asus RT5300, internet is fiber 300/300.
Music is on a server also connected directly to same router, music played is music stored on server or streaming from Tidal. I have ROCK installed on Intel NUC NUC7i7BNH Baby Canyon connected wired to same router.
ROON is preferred because I also use Lumin D1 and JBL Extreme in two different rooms, very easy to use same interface and just switch zones. It looks good, is easy to use and you can pretty much set it up to show you the music you want to play in a very intuitive way, and the music never stops if "radio" is activated, ROON keeps picking music when playlist ends8)
Lumin D1 and JBL is stable, BDP3 keeps stopping. BDP3 and ROON is playing, but the "Lock "on BDA3 stops and there is no sound, the light on USB is still green.
BDP3 is uncertified, maybe this is why??
When time aloes Im gonna try using only AES/EBU maybe this is more stable.
Bryston sounds sublime when working :D

gbaby

« Reply #368 on: 31 Dec 2017, 06:12 pm »
I have BDP3 connected with wire directly to Asus RT5300, internet is fiber 300/300.
Music is on a server also connected directly to same router, music played is music stored on server or streaming from Tidal. I have ROCK installed on Intel NUC NUC7i7BNH Baby Canyon connected wired to same router.
ROON is preferred because I also use Lumin D1 and JBL Extreme in two different rooms, very easy to use same interface and just switch zones. It looks good, is easy to use and you can pretty much set it up to show you the music you want to play in a very intuitive way, and the music never stops if "radio" is activated, ROON keeps picking music when playlist ends8)
Lumin D1 and JBL is stable, BDP3 keeps stopping. BDP3 and ROON is playing, but the "Lock "on BDA3 stops and there is no sound, the light on USB is still green.
BDP3 is uncertified, maybe this is why??
When time aloes Im gonna try using only AES/EBU maybe this is more stable.
Bryston sounds sublime when working :D

I am not familiar with Lumin and JBL Extreme and the like as my setup is far more simpler than what you described. I guess as long as it works for you, fine.  :|

artur9

« Reply #369 on: 31 Dec 2017, 06:51 pm »
Regardless, I have absolutely zero interest in doing anything to make Roon sound better or to use it period.

I sometimes wonder if we had Roon if it would keep people from playing the Hamilton soundtrack non-stop.  Some variety of musical tunes in the house would be good.

gbaby

« Reply #370 on: 31 Dec 2017, 11:37 pm »
I sometimes wonder if we had Roon if it would keep people from playing the Hamilton soundtrack non-stop.  Some variety of musical tunes in the house would be good.

You've definitely got me curious about the Hamilton soundtrack.  :lol: That Good?

artur9

« Reply #371 on: 1 Jan 2018, 04:06 am »
You've definitely got me curious about the Hamilton soundtrack.  :lol: That Good?
Apparently  :D

It's not to my tastes other than one song but everyone else seems to love it.

Xinon

« Reply #372 on: 1 Jan 2018, 10:31 am »
I am not familiar with Lumin and JBL Extreme and the like as my setup is far more simpler than what you described. I guess as long as it works for you, fine.  :|
Lumin D1 is a streamer just like Bdp3, but built in dac and a very good app, JBL Extreme is a portable Bluetooth music box.
I hope I get the problems with BDP3 and BDA3 sorted out because I like the sound from these boxes.
At the price though I really think the interface and ease of use is far behind the competition.

gbaby

« Reply #373 on: 1 Jan 2018, 07:36 pm »
Lumin D1 is a streamer just like Bdp3, but built in dac and a very good app, JBL Extreme is a portable Bluetooth music box.
I hope I get the problems with BDP3 and BDA3 sorted out because I like the sound from these boxes.
At the price though I really think the interface and ease of use is far behind the competition.

Maybe those other products are like receivers containing every bell and whistle. To do so, they may sacrifice that last level of sound quality. Maybe Bryston focused on sound quality over bells and whistles. As far as I am concerned, when one uses products like Roon, you would have to design your own product around Roon and not your own product. I appreciate the fact that the BDPs allow me to conveniently access my entire digital library. The things Roon can do may be stretching these machines too far. The fact that these units sound best using Manic Moose with MPD is fine with me. When I look at the performance and cost, the BDPs are winners.  :thumb:

Xinon

« Reply #374 on: 2 Jan 2018, 12:29 pm »
No problem understanding your point of view gbaby, BDP is a fantastic sounding player :thumb:
But as the title in this thread says "BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready".
I just wish they made it certified, and that it would work flawlessly in ROON mode.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #375 on: 2 Jan 2018, 12:38 pm »
No problem understanding your point of view gbaby, BDP is a fantastic sounding player :thumb:
But as the title in this thread says "BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready".
I just wish they made it certified, and that it would work flawlessly in ROON mode.

Hi Folks,

The Certification does not change the performance - its just the bureaucratic aspect of the relationship - we have to submit a BDP to them anytime we make a change in the model number.  That's been done and an official "certification' will be forthcoming - but nothing will change from the current version of ROON running on the BDP-3.

ROON runs perfectly on my systems at home and we have a lot of our customers running ROON as well.

james

Xinon

« Reply #376 on: 2 Jan 2018, 12:50 pm »
Thanks for the clarification James.
Dont know why ROON fails in my setup??
Flashdrive and DLNA client works flawlessly, as does HDMI from Appletv4.
With ROON the USB connection between BDP3 and BDA3 fails after about 10(+-) songs.
I have not updated the fw on BDA3, but this should not make a difference?
Is there a specific USB on the BDP3 I should use?
For now I use Manic Moose, till I figure out why ROON is unstable.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #377 on: 2 Jan 2018, 01:06 pm »
Thanks for the clarification James.
Dont know why ROON fails in my setup??
Flashdrive and DLNA client works flawlessly, as does HDMI from Appletv4.
With ROON the USB connection between BDP3 and BDA3 fails after about 10(+-) songs.
I have not updated the fw on BDA3, but this should not make a difference?
Is there a specific USB on the BDP3 I should use?
For now I use Manic Moose, till I figure out why ROON is unstable.

Hi Xinon

That's a Chris question for sure - will let him answer.

james

Xinon

« Reply #378 on: 2 Jan 2018, 02:31 pm »
Thankyou James.

Tried again now.
Played one album, no problems after 12 tracks.
Trying to provoke the problems by changing songs after about 10sec on each song.
Changed to next album played 10sec, changed song again and played for 10 sec, changed to album in 24/88, small static pop and no sound, BDA3 still locked in 44. Tried one album in 16/44 ROON skipped thru all songs and lights on the left (lock lights on BDA3) is off.
Changed Zone to Lumin, it plays as normal.
Change Zone back to Bryston, skipped all songs on album and stops.
Tried to turn ROON of and on again in BDP Services menu, still the same.
Turned playback ROON on and go to service menu an turn ROON on, this time not working still.
Restart BDP3, ROON is now playing songs as normal, but there is no sound and Lock lights on BDA3 is of.
Turn BDA3 off and on, still the same.
Change input on BDA3 to HDMI, works no problem.
Change USB Cable to USB2 on BDA3, still the same problem.
Start MPD, play from flash drive everything is working.
Start ROON ready again, and now its working???
Tried 6-7 different songs from 16/44 to 24/192 even some DSD songs no problem, but I know its a matter of time before same happens, so stick to Manic Moose for the Bryston.
I still have the BDA1, will try this next time, but now I want to listen to music :thumb:

Xinon

« Reply #379 on: 3 Jan 2018, 02:09 pm »
I might have found the problem, at least I hope so.
Changed the ethernet cable to the one I use for Appletv, this wire is not connected directly to the router, but via a switch. I also changed the USB cable from an Oyade I just bought to Nordost Blue Heaven. Maybe the ethernet cable or the USB cable was faulty, because now it has played nonstop for 4 hours straight.
Looks like Bryston was not to blame after all :duh:
Been frustrating troubleshooting, but now sweet music is again restored in my main system :thumb: