What amplifier do you use with your Daedalus speakers?

advanced101

Re: What amplifier do you use with your Daedalus speakers?
« Reply #80 on: 1 Apr 2017, 11:09 pm »
Line Magnetic 219IA with a pair of Orpheus.

cheech

« Reply #81 on: 19 Sep 2017, 01:01 am »
I just added a third amp into my system, a Finale Audio 7189 (2), 7189/El84 based tube push pull integrated amp- 20 wpc. Amp still needs additional hours of break-in but it easily drives my Argos V2s. Amp comes with NOS Russian 6N14N -EBs (7189a) , and new production JJ 5AR4 rectifier and 12ax7s. Once the amp breaks-in 75-100 hours (per Frank @ Finale) I will swap out the JJs with NOS 5AR4 & either NOS 12ax7's or 5751s.

rbbert

« Reply #82 on: 19 Sep 2017, 01:43 pm »
Pass INT-60 with Ulysses, as noted recently in another thread here.  Still trying to keep the audio system simple  8)

cheech

« Reply #83 on: 16 Oct 2017, 07:51 pm »
Following up to my Sept 19 post. I have about 75 hours on the Finale Audio  F7189 MK2 integrated amp  I went ahead at roughly 30 hours and swapped out the new production JJ 12ax7s and 5AR4 (sounded fine in the amp) with NOS GE 12ax7s and RCA 5AR4 ( I am partial to NOS tubes)  .  To my ears this amp sounds wonderful with the Argos V2s, it retrieves musical details and nuances from every track played, and it's imaging, soundstage, dynamics are very good. As I noted earlier the ,amp is stated at 20 wpc, though according to Frank at Finale mine measured at 22wpc with the substitution of a Hashimoto output transformer vs the standard Hammond.  If you like an EL84 based amp I highly recommend checking out the Finale.

As an aside I enjoy periodically switching between the Finale, the Line Magnetic 518IA, and my Modwright LSs100 & KWA100SE  - each offer a little something different but are all wonderful with the  Argos V2s

advanced101

« Reply #84 on: 10 Feb 2018, 04:47 pm »
I ordered a pair of EAR 509 monoblocks to replace my LM 219IA.  I thought the LM was a very good amp for the money.  But, in my system, I preferred moving away from a SET amp, perhaps too much of a good thing.  I also noticed that the amp was showing 50w at peaks when listening loudly.  Although I believe the amp could handle 50 watt peaks (22 watt nominal) the extra headroom will be appreciated.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #85 on: 10 Feb 2018, 10:00 pm »
Hello. I own a pair of Apollos which I am delighted with. I'm powering them with my Don Sachs Model 2 6SN7 preamp and D Sachs KT88 Kootenay 120 amp.

The amp has approximately 110 hours on it, so it's still burning in. However, so far I am very much enjoying this combination.

I'll soon have a new IceEdge1200as amp built by Mike at Mivera audio. I'm eager to hear it in my system.

Michael

A_shah

« Reply #86 on: 11 Feb 2018, 08:27 pm »
Hello. I own a pair of Apollos which I am delighted with. I'm powering them with my Don Sachs Model 2 6SN7 preamp and D Sachs KT88 Kootenay 120 amp.

The amp has approximately 110 hours on it, so it's still burning in. However, so far I am very much enjoying this combination.

I'll soon have a new IceEdge1200as amp built by Mike at Mivera audio. I'm eager to hear it in my system.

Michael

that would be interesting to see how "Class D "amp sounds with the Apollo's I had a Peachtree Nova 150 for over a year running my desktop system which consisted of Kef LS 50 , I also tried them with my magnepan 1.7i to my surprise the Nova drove them very well  except I found the sound to be 2D.
I will be using my custom made  Odyssey Kismet  , with Don Sachs DS-2 and Directstream DAC to power the Poseidon's.
Odyssey Kismet has 850 VA transformer with  huge German made  Symphonic line 35K hyper Caps (350,000uf memory) A/AB amp with >68 amp current delivery and top of the line WBT  RC/LS connectors I believe it does not leave Class A for the 1st 10 -20 Watts of power before switching into
Class A/B mode  the unit is "very very quite" rarely gets warm , also own a Parasound Halo Integrated. (GR8 for the money), although I am open to another amp , have used and heard some  good ones in the past

and recently the Modwright KWA 150 SE

Asghar

dodgealum

« Reply #87 on: 12 Feb 2018, 02:46 pm »
Fans of Lou's speakers may be interested in checking out the soon-to-be released "Ultralinear" amp from Linear Tube Audio. I was fortunate to run a pre-production version for several weeks with my DA-1.1 AP/V2's and it is EXCEPTIONAL. Like all LTA electronics, this is a David Berning design using his patented ZOTL technology and radically sophisticated switching power supply. I wrote a "review" of the amp which I posted on the Audiogon recently. Here is the link for those who might be interested:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-linear-tube-audio-lta-ultralinear-amplifier

I understand Lou is going to be showing with LTA at AXPONA in April, featuring the "Ultralinear" paired with the Apollo 11, which I heard at Lou's shop in October (sounding incredible driven by the KWA-150SE). The Apollo 11 with the LTA "Ultralinear" should be frighteningly good. Hope some of you get to check it out!

:thumb:

rbbert

« Reply #88 on: 12 Feb 2018, 04:31 pm »
I would be surprised if the Viva 845 amps did not sound superb with Daedalus, but I think they all cost more than any of Lou’s speakers.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #89 on: 12 Feb 2018, 06:01 pm »
At this point depending on the weather I run my Muse with either a VanAlstine Ultravalve 35 wpc tube unit, or a VA FetValve Ultra 550 hybrid. Both sound great, simply different flavors, and the hybrid is probably a little tighter with the bass. So many options, so little time & $. Would like to try some of Dan's gear at some point, as well as Don's. A friend is waiting for his amp from Don end of the month, so should get to hear that option first hand at some point.

A_shah

« Reply #90 on: 11 Mar 2018, 10:30 pm »
Jeff Wells stopped by and Dropped his Wells Innamorata amplifier & Looking Glass power conditioner,  So far the Amplifier sounds very sweet , I have it for a week so well see how it works out

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2018, 05:17 am by A_shah »

kingdeezie

« Reply #91 on: 11 Mar 2018, 11:38 pm »
Right now I’m running a pair of Muse Studios with Dueland upgrade with a Pass XP-22/XA30.8 combo. Sitting very near field, like 5 feet. Synergy is excellent.

cheech

« Reply #92 on: 11 Mar 2018, 11:43 pm »
Which version of the Looking Glass;? Have you been using another power conditioner; if so  you able to contrast the sound of the Wells amp with the Looking Glass vs your current power conditioner ?

A_shah

« Reply #93 on: 12 Mar 2018, 06:01 am »
Which version of the Looking Glass;? Have you been using another power conditioner; if so  you able to contrast the sound of the Wells amp with the Looking Glass vs your current power conditioner ?

That would be like comparing Apple's and Oranges , Although I can tell you this,  looking glass power conditioner  is very good with the Wells unit as well as  with the other accessories I have plugged into it , it certainly does what it is supposed to do !

A_shah

« Reply #94 on: 27 Mar 2018, 05:11 am »

Today I had a chat with Mike Sanders of QuickSilver Audio, and as a courtesy a dealer friend of his stopped by and Delivered a pair of his 40 Watt Audio Mid Mono-Amplifier tube amp this is a brand new unit hardly broken in .
First impressions WOW ! :rock: Crisp, clean , clear  , Linear sound , absolutely, no distortion or woolliness ! I am using two genesis power chord that were also dropped by the dealer friend , These are very inexpensive pair of amplifiers point to point wiring , no integrated Circuit . the Daedalus Poseidon sound tonally totally open Well I have these for a week and  will see how they work out !  i tried it with  both Schiit Gungnir & the Ps Audio directstream DAC and Oppo 203 UHD as transport plus Hirez streaming

cheech

« Reply #95 on: 27 Mar 2018, 08:10 pm »
Do you still have the Wells? Conclusions drawn?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #96 on: 27 Mar 2018, 10:39 pm »
In November, I purchased a pair of Ambrose A-30 mono blocks from ModWright after hearing them at RMAF. Incredibly musical, tonally accurate and detailed. Solid performer from top to bottom of the frequency range. They replaced a ModWright KWA 150SE which is an incredible amp in its own right. I found I liked the tube sound of the A-30s a little better than the solid state amp.

dodgealum

« Reply #97 on: 28 Mar 2018, 12:17 am »
I just recently took delivery on a LTA Ultralinear Power Amplifier--I had used a pre-production version in my system for a few weeks and found it intoxicating. The amp is extraordinary--clean, spacious, detailed, tonally pure. For those going to Axpona you can hear it yourself with the Apollo 11s--should be exceptional. I absolutely loved my KWA-150SE until I heard the LTA--it is that good.

beaglebump

« Reply #98 on: 28 Mar 2018, 01:12 am »
I've been following this thread with great interest since its inception.  Finding a suitable power plant to my Athena was both easy & frustrating in that many auditionees of various designs had exceptional synergy (Dan's Ambrose A30's (early prototypes), Pass xa60.8, BorderPatrol se300B to name a few).  Ultimately became intoxicated with the mix of Class D Veritas monos from Merrill Audio w/ our VAC Signature SE pre.  Simply breathtaking mix with the Athena.   

A_shah

« Reply #99 on: 28 Mar 2018, 04:08 am »
Do you still have the Wells? Conclusions drawn?

Good Amp, big sound stage, but very similar signature to my SS Odyssey Kismet amp I am looking for a 2nd amp standby amp basically a tube amplifier or 2  mono amps , I have had  a couple of Class D amps in the past Peachtree Nova 150 ( very dark background Very quite and Wyred 4 for Sound , GR8 amps but class D  do not appeal to me , I guess personnel taste
for the money  these QS silver mono tubes are amazing "very wide band width tonally accurate  correct  the Bass on these at 40 watts match's both my Odyssey kismet and the wells at 1/3 the price ! very stable Possibly I may end up with  a DS Kooteney to match with my DS-2 pre-amp. But these QS mono have got me enamored and they are 1/2 the cost !  Mark Sanders also have a new 50 watt mono amps with a different sound signature I may get a chance to try that one out also !

@dodgealum 
 read your review on the LTA Ultralinear in Audiogon and did talk to mark , got some pictures of inside guts from him I may get a unit from  him to try it out under the 14 day trial period , but it has SMS switching power supply makes it a hybrid , I prefer Toroidal transformer or the output Transformers based on known and tested designs of the past  after all it is really the power and power transformers that we are listening  too, Paul Macgown in one of his video blogs said so much recently that they have tried Switching power supplies in PS audio products but they do not match the sound quality regular transformers and my 'ears" agree with that !

point to point "short signal path wiring " no circuit board " low noise tested Transformers ) at the end it is the SQ ! that matters I guess