Internet Explorer-11 will be removed from your computer

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Time has come to convince millions of users who still use IE-11 to switch to Edge.  Microsoft inserted a reminder on its website and says that many sites no longer support IE-11 and there is a risk of experience degradation on some websites, ohh what terrible news this very serious I wont sleep tonight.

IE11 will be disabled from today 15Jun2022 for certain Windows versions as W10 and W10 IoT v20H2 or greater and will no longer have support, for users who yet use IE-11 Microsoft has put into Edge an integrated IE mode to access IE legacy sites and applications.

Folsom

Re: Internet Explorer-11 will be removed from your computer
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2022, 04:21 am »
Micro soft dick just has to control everything…

It’s pretty infuriating. My computer installed some update shit without my consent and it’s like I get notifications even though they’re off. They shit lickers are going box themselves in till someone else sells something better, that everyone wants.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2022, 04:44 am »
I had disabled automatic updates months a go because of these unpleasant surprises and to stop constant downloads of update files everyday, however W-Defender yet receive updates, very recomended to peoples that value their privacy.

« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2022, 07:27 am by FullRangeMan »

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2022, 07:15 am »
I turned off everything... it's not even close to enough. I run Linux on another computer... They're such fucks. It's MY FUCKING COMPUTER, stop fucking with it.

whell

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2022, 02:25 pm »
I turned off everything... it's not even close to enough. I run Linux on another computer... They're such fucks. It's MY FUCKING COMPUTER, stop fucking with it.

To be fair to Microsoft (which is a company I'm not terribly fond of, and I also run Linux at home), that's not what you agreed to.  Remember that 6 gazillion-page Microsoft Licensing agreement that you may have agreed to when activating Windows for the first time?   Here are a couple of items from that licensing agreement:

"By accepting this agreement or using the software, you agree to all of these terms, and consent to the transmission of certain information during activation and during your use of the software as per the privacy statement described in Section 3. If you do not accept and comply with these terms, you may not use the software or its features. "

"2.      Installation and Use Rights.

a.      License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement."

Then, finally, this:

"Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."

So, MS Windows users agree to let MS push updates to their computers without notice.  If that's something that's irksome to you - and if that's the case you probably have a lot of folks who agree with you - then you're already on the right track: install and run Linux. 

The full MS Win 10 licensing agreement is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/Useterms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2022, 03:01 pm »
Finally, IE is gone! For 17 years computer geeks have struggled to kill Internet Explorer. Edge did it. The King is dead, Long live the King.

Internet Explorer 11 has retired and is officially out of support—what you need to know
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2022/06/15/internet-explorer-11-has-retired-and-is-officially-out-of-support-what-you-need-to-know/

A happy Firefox 101.0.1 user. 

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2022, 08:48 pm »

So, MS Windows users agree to let MS push updates to their computers without notice.  If that's something that's irksome to you - and if that's the case you probably have a lot of folks who agree with you - then you're already on the right track: install and run Linux. 

I myself switched entirely to Linux about 13 years ago (my profession was supporting Linux servers, so it doubly made sense).  Never looked back.  And I'm running Volumio on a NUC and am very pleased!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2022, 08:50 pm »
Why are people bent out of shape about a browser?  There's many other options out there that are good and free. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2022, 10:50 pm »
I have worked years with early Windows and W-NT versions, Linux, Solaris etc a long AS400 and main frames, for servers the best OS I have worked was the Open VMS from Digital Corp. it was said it was made for military use.

At the time Linux dont allowed any versions of user files, but Open VMS allowed more than 37K files versions.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2022, 05:17 am »
Why are people bent out of shape about a browser?  There's many other options out there that are good and free.

One is that the browser still has built in mechanics for things that cannot run otherwise.

And to whell’s comments… they can shove that agreement up their ass. Companies write those things all the time and get shot down in court. Just because they write it doesn’t make it legal. And they don’t have any entitlement to me turning it off or what I do with my computer.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2022, 05:40 am »
These hard contracts are called leonine contracts, the user has no choice; they are illegal in many countries and Microsoft are not the worst company, FB meta are worse, but none are worse than Goo.

The translator that they delivery here are poor, not the same from US, but if one use W-10 Home edition the G maps and Translator provided for these computers are even more mediocre.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2022, 06:18 am »
I have worked years with early Windows and W-NT versions, Linux, Solaris etc a long AS400 and main frames, for servers the best OS I have worked was the Open VMS from Digital Corp. it was said it was made for military use.

At the time Linux dont allowed any versions of user files, but Open VMS allowed more than 37K files versions.

I too have worked with all of those (going back to SunOS and also Irix, geez and even before that CP/M).  OpenVMS was really nice.  It's really too bad it never became more popular.  The AS400 OS was solid, although I think it's all some flavor of Linux now.

I've often been tempted to try openVMS on a modern x86 system, just for fun.