Century Link Fiber Internet Promotion - Free Upgrades - 940 Mbps!

WGH

I have always had DSL, starting in 1999 from U.S. West (256Kbps Deluxe), which morphed into Qwest which became Century Link. I've never been into cable and their predatory pricing practices.

Last year Century Link had a free upgrade to "twisted pair" DSL which was a nice bump in speed with no price increase.

Then on Tuesday I got an email about a free upgrade to fiber... Of course I called immediately.

Century Link arrived this morning. I have a new fiber optic line from the alley to my house. They also need to run a new fiber optic line through the attic and down a wall to a small 1POTS+GE Micro ONT by the computer, a CAT5 cable then goes to the modem. I was ready. The installer was happy because I did all the attic work. I used existing holes and used the old wire to pull the new fiber cable, it was easy.

Old "twisted pair" DSL internet

New Century Link fiber internet

Backups to Google Drive is 90 times faster, now takes minutes instead of hours.
Notice that fiber has "No Data Caps". I'm in the fast lane with no limits for $65 a month for life (it's in the contract).

Keep trying and they will lower the price with discounts and promo offers, notice I get $20/month off for paperless billing.

Time to dump cable guys.

VinceT

That is a lot of bandwidth for very little money

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
I keep waiting for Century Link or any provider other than Comcast to put in fast service in my neighborhood. I can't stand Comcast, but they're the only fast ones in the area. So I play their game of cancelling service every year in order to get their "intro" rates for new customers and a reset with their data caps. In the past when going to properly use one of my "free-pass" data cap months, I would download everything I could think of to get my money worth (about 10TB of movies/music) for the month.

WGH

I received an interesting letter from Century Link. Starting July 5, 2022 they are retiring copper lines and migrating everyone to fiber in my neighborhood. No extra charge and free modem. Going to be rough for the competition.

My brother works for Rise Broadband, a premium wireless internet service based in Colorado and in 14 states. He told me that they are transitioning from strictly wireless to running fiber to their customers.
https://www.risebroadband.com/

Looks like streaming media is inspiring ISPs to update their service.

Folsom

Lucky SOB

Where I'm at temporarily looking into $100 for 25mbps. And it's wireless because everything sucks extra here if it's technology based.

ACHiPo

I keep waiting for Century Link or any provider other than Comcast to put in fast service in my neighborhood. I can't stand Comcast, but they're the only fast ones in the area. So I play their game of cancelling service every year in order to get their "intro" rates for new customers and a reset with their data caps. In the past when going to properly use one of my "free-pass" data cap months, I would download everything I could think of to get my money worth (about 10TB of movies/music) for the month.
Would LOVE a viable alternative to Comcast!

mgalusha

I live in the sticks and have had either DSL (20mdn/768kup) or line of sight microwave (40/12) but a local company, DirectLink, is doing FTTH and they buried my fiber last week. Hopefully lit up in a month or so, being a glutton, I ordered the 1gig symmetrical service. 16 years of crappy internet will hopefully go away soon.

WGH

..being a glutton, I ordered the 1gig symmetrical service.

You are going to have fun!

Plan ahead. My fiber is one long continuous run from the alley, through the attic, down through the wall and emerges close to the computer plugging into an Optical Network Terminal (ONT). A 1 meter CAT5 cable goes to the modem. The ONT needs a 120v outlet for the transformer.