5 channel tube preamp

Brad

5 channel tube preamp
« on: 21 Jun 2004, 11:43 pm »
Just noticed Dr. Lloyd had put up info on the Line 5 SE 5 channel preamp. 8)
Take a look on the Mapletree site
Looks pretty sweet, but where's the remote option for lazy Americans like me :?:

JoshK

5 channel tube preamp
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2004, 11:57 pm »
Very very cool, definitely a market worth going after.    I don't know, based on the description on the Doc's website, whether the controls for center and surrounds are balance-like trim pots or individual controls.  If trim pots then you could also easily replace the main volume with a motorized pot assuming there is room.  then you could add remote for volume, which is all you need since there is no switching.

Dr. Lloyd

• http://www.mapletreeaudio.com
Line 5 5-Channel Preamp
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2004, 04:36 pm »
Thanks Brad and Josh for posting the info on the Line 5. The first unit is on its way to a customer in Oregon and I am awaiting delivery and his impressions. The front and surround level controls are Alps or Noble dual section audio volume control potentiometers. The center level is either one section of the same or a single section Bourns plastic element audio pot. (depends on availability--there are no Alps controls available from my supplier for a month or more). A master volume control would require 5-sections with precise tracking and this is just not viable (or available except as a special rder item as far as I know). The best way to control overall volume would be in the source unit where the signals are still in digital form and can easily be handled with a remote.

Now we just need a good 5-channel tube power amp--10 EL34s maybe? I think monoblocs are the way to go. What tube power do you think is needed for the various channels?

Regards,

Lloyd

Mathew_M

5 channel tube preamp
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2004, 08:24 pm »
Tube monoblocks could be interesting however I believe impractical.  

What I'd really like to hear is a 5 channel tube receiver except using digital for the amp section.  Definately Tripath for the circuitry.
This could possibly an extremely enveloping setup if done properly.

Dmason

5 channel tube preamp
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2004, 04:26 am »
I second the above sentiment, Dr Peppard; For me, the combination of a good tube pre amp with Tripath used in the amp section is like no other, and I mean, no other. Obvious synergy here. One enhances the other. Five channel might be right over the top. Saw your new creation; a first for sure. Count me in as interested.    Rah! Queens! My alma mater. :D