Tonearm Suspension "Catching"

doak

Tonearm Suspension "Catching"
« on: 1 May 2013, 03:01 pm »
The mono-filament strings suspending my WTA tonearm appear to be "catching" - i.e.: not smoothly gliding/twisting over one another as the tonearm is pulled inwards.  Getting a lot of distortion and generally quite weird behavior that I can only attribute to this problem.

Thinking that the fix will require the tonearm to be rehung with new string. 

Comments or real help welcome and encouraged.   :thumb:

Doak

Ericus Rex

Re: Tonearm Suspension "Catching"
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2013, 03:15 pm »
Try lubricating them first.  Not exactly sure with what though.  Talc perhaps?  I would think most oils would eventually disintegrate the plastic.

doak

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2013, 03:20 pm »
Try lubricating them first.  Not exactly sure with what though.  Talc perhaps?  I would think most oils would eventually disintegrate the plastic.
Did try a tiny amount of WD40 with no positive results.

Thanks.

SteevA

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2013, 08:52 pm »
I would suspect that if it is catching this is due to some form of deterioration. If this is the case then it is likely not that far away from breaking.
Replacing it is likely to be inevitable so you might as well just get it over with before it breaks (perhaps while you are using it).

Steve

doak

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2013, 03:01 pm »
I may have misdiagnosed the problem and have a possible solution on the way.

Frank Denson and Mike Pranka  have been very responsive and extremely helpful.

Will report back.

Doak

doak

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2013, 03:27 pm »
Mike Pranka graciously supplied replacement arm cup silicon and new belts w/o charge.
Once received I proceeded to go through the table by disassembling it completely, cleaning everything and then carefully rebuilding following the user manual's directions. 

I am glad to say that all is well and my WTA is working as well or better than ever.
I've determined that the problem I experienced was actually due to dreaded "user error" and that there was no fault with the TT whatsoever. 

Caveat:  When in use be sure the supplied digital VTF scale is set to read out in GRAMS (g) and NOT in CARATS (ct).   :oops:  :duh:

Doak

I may have misdiagnosed the problem and have a possible solution on the way.

Frank Denson and Mike Pranka  have been very responsive and extremely helpful.

Will report back.

Doak
« Last Edit: 16 May 2013, 06:41 pm by doak »

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2013, 06:29 pm »
Good to hear!  Glad it's all settled...