My First Taste of VR

ajzepp

My First Taste of VR
« on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:55 am »
So with the Oculus Rift and PSVR coming out, Ive been getting a little antsy to get a taste of Virtual Reality. I'm not a big gamer, but the idea of this technology becoming more consumer friendly is really appealing.

I knew about the Google Cardboard and Samsung VR tech options, but I happened to come across a company called Homido, who has both a headset that can work with many of the smart phones on the market, as well as a little goggle apparatus that clips on to a smart phone...both very neat gadgets.

Well, I took delivery on both this weekend, and I have to say that as excited as I was, the whole ordeal was underwhelming. In the case of the headset, the comfort level was quite poor, and I never got even close to a sense of immersion. It basically felt as though I was holding my iPhone sideways up close to my face. It was neat to look around and see different aspects of the visuals come into the scene, but it never really crossed over to where I felt all that engaged.

The little clip on item for $14 is something I'll keep, because it's very simple to use and sort of fun to play around with, but still not anything I find all that impressive.

I guess I'll have to just wait until the PSVR comes out, and hopefully that will provide me with more of what I'm looking for.

Have any of you guys dabbled in VR? If so, what have your experiences been thus far?

charmerci

Re: My First Taste of VR
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2016, 09:17 am »
Well, for $14, I guess you get what you pay for....

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2016, 02:18 am »
Well, for $14, I guess you get what you pay for....

It was $89 actually

ConvexDongle

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2016, 09:41 pm »
No current experience with VR, but I can say that the fact that they're re-releasing Rez on the PS4 with VR-compatibility makes it verrrrry tempting to try!

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2016, 02:36 am »
The wife , daughter and I played around with Cardboard, it was fun.
I think the future of gaming will be VR .

Aybar

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2017, 02:41 pm »
Distant future, sure. But we're still so far away from that point. VR still can't offer anything close to the functionality of keyboard and mouse, or even a controller.