NEW ZenWave DSR UPOCC Silver Ribbon Interconnect Cable

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Following the release of the PSR-14 UPOCC Silver Ribbon power cables, I'm excited to announce the release of new interconnect cables using the same ribbon wire!

The ribbon interconnect cables will begin with the DSR UPOCC Silver Ribbon RCA interconnect cable and will be followed by an XLR version, and then UPOCC copper versions.

The DSR cable is a 17 gauge UPOCC silver ribbon cable with teflon insulation, with similar advantages to the PSR-14 power cable in that the cable is capable of bending, and is protected by teflon and Furutech nano-fluid at the terminations to prevent corrosion.  Please see the power cable thread for more info on the ZenWave ribbon, this cable is the same except for different geometry that minimizes capacitance, and it's 17g instead of 14g.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163917.0

Let's talk about the fact the cable is a 17g interconnect cable... this is an unusually heavy gauge for interconnect cables, but is used to achieve proper tone and body with UPOCC silver. The ribbon cable also contributes to the cable's lack of thin or cool sound quality often associated with pure silver cables. The cable is not noticeably warm, it's very accurate and resolving, and comes across as extremely neutral. It gives the impression of filled-out harmonics and accurate timbre, soundstrage is excellent with slightly more diffuse imaging vs my D4 interconnect cable. I'd say the imaging is accurate and the images won't blend together, there is still air between images, but they are fatter, larger images vs round wire cables that tend to be more pinpoint accurate.

The DSR cable is similar to my D4 cable in that it achieves the same goal via a different path. They are both Zen(Wave) cables, but from different lineages. Put simply, the goal of ZenWave to offer UPOCC silver cables that have proper tone and realistic timbre. The DSR get there using heavy gauge and ribbon wire, the D4 gets there by using my silver/gold alloy. So in comparison the D4 has just a touch of warmth, not enough to be a warm cable, but enough so the UPOCC silver doesn't come across as cool or thin, it's just right. :)  My D5 offers the same cable with more gold, so if you want a warmer UPOCC silver cable I have that too, but you do sacrifice a bit of resolution and clarity to get there.   

I also want to point out that both Siltech and Wireworld have 17 gauge UPOCC silver cables for their top of the line cables. With ZenWave, you get a cable made by the exact same manufacturer, handmade with pure cotton jacketing for damping and a genuine techflex braided jacket over top of the pure cotton. You get termination using WBT solder on the best RCA plugs in the industry, further improved by the ZenWave carbon fiber dampers. You get extreme attention to detail in the build and termination, with Furutech silver/gold nano-fluid used to protect the termination. And you get all this for a fraction of the price vs Siltech and Wireworld. What you don't get is a dealer sale experience, fancy packaging or glossy color borchures. You also won't see full-page Stereophile ads for ZenWave cables. You pay for the cable direct from the manufacturer without all the BS and no pricing games.

On price, this is going to be a couple hundred less vs the D4 cable. I wasn't going to release this cable until the new website comes out, which will include a long overdue price increase. For now, and until the website is ready, I will offer this cable for $200 less vs the current D4 pricing, so $975 for a 1 meter pair of cables. This will be a major discount on the price the cable will sell at once it goes live on my new website, and as many of you know, I never give discounts or have sales. The cable will never sell for this price again, and will be about 30% more when the website goes live.

I have had a few folks test out the DSR vs the D4 and if anyone would like to try out the new DSR cable with the D4 please let me know, I just ask that you pay shipping to the next person or back to me, and you post your thoughts here on this thread. Just send me a PM and I'll add you to the list! :)

Pictured is a DSR cable in carbon fine-mesh techflex, black is optional. It uses WBT 0102 Ag RCA plugs with ZenWave carbon fiber dampers added.   

RDavidson

Re: NEW ZenWave DSR UPOCC Silver Ribbon Interconnect Cable
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2019, 07:48 pm »
Similar performance to your D4's for less $? :o

People should be flocking to this deal while it lasts!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2019, 11:24 pm »
Similar performance to your D4's for less $? :o

People should be flocking to this deal while it lasts!

I hope so, a 17g UPOCC silver ribbon IC cable for under $1k is not something you'll have the opportunity to buy that often.

Let's just say the ribbon cables and new website have cost a small fortune to fund and I wouldn't mind using up some of that silver ribbon! :) 

Ern Dog

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2019, 05:01 am »
I’ve been demoing the D4 and DSR IC’s for a week now and agreed to share my impressions.  I've been using Teo Game changers from a Border Patrol tube dac to a Don Sachs preamp, and High Fidelity Reveals between the pre and Sachs Kootenay tube amp.  I prefer tubes over solid state because it sounds more realistic to me.  I’ve been very content with this set up for a long time (in audiophile time).  I put the D4 in between pre and amp and my first thought was “Holy Shit!"  The music sounded explosive!  It had lots more impact and the music sounded live.  The realism I’m hearing has put my rig in a whole different league. Perfect balance of high resolution and a smidge of warmth.

Next I tried the DSR and it had a similar sound but was different.  I heard even more details without it sounding bright or edgy.  It didn’t sound as tight, it was a smidge more diffuse.  I found that the higher resolution was too much of a good thing in my rig, but if you are a detail fan then you’ll like this one. That live and explosive sound was still there.

Last month I demoed the new Zenwave power cord and it sounds similar to these IC’s.  It totally bested my Sablon Gran corona in every way.  This new power cord transformed my rig when it was feeding my Uberbuss power conditioner. 

I heard a more significant improvement using the D4 vs the power cord.  I can only imagine what Dave’s speaker cables sound like or a rig outfitted with all Zenwave cables 🤩

I removed the D4 and put my old cables back in and my rig sounded like a broken flat tire :(
Once I experienced what’s possible it’s so hard going backwards, so I’m in the market to buy some used D4s.

Dave- you are da Man!  These new cables you created kick some serious ass!  Truly the Best I’ve ever heard.  I’ve been having many late night listening sessions because it sounds so intoxicatingly good that I keep putting on one more song.  Thank you for making these and offering them up for demos.

Ernie

bazelio

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2019, 06:35 am »
Dave sent me this new DSR interconnect for a demo in my system and along with it, he sent the most recent iteration of the venerable D4 interconnect. Here are a few thoughts, without completely waxing poetic.

I'd demoed the D4 in the past and this time around, I felt the newest D4 was a tad less aggressive. This is going off audio memory now, but it seemed to have a bit more of a laid back character and for me, this was welcome. Tonally it sounded the same as I had recalled, and most of its other traits remained. That is, it's still supremely detailed and dynamic. It sparkles up top, it slams down low, and it never sounds cold or steely. In fact, it has just a tad of tonal color, I suppose as a result of its gold content.

The DSR, on the other hand is clearly identifiable as a different cable as soon as it enters your chain. The DSR present a larger sound stage both front to back and left to right. DSR gives you the detail and micro-detail, but presents them with more nuance and less brute force. In terms of scale, the DSR's is larger with its sound filling the room. Comparatively, the D4 tends to locate and isolate individual constituents of the performance to confined regions on the sound stage, while the DSR allows them to bloom and expand with ease. Overall, the DSR sounds more "refined" to my ears, while the D4 sounds more analytical. I'd want the D4 if I'm doing some critical listening, and I'd want the DSR when I'm ready to sit back and enjoy a performance without my thinking cap on. And neither cable was stereotypical silver-bright, though the D4 does have a touch more tonal color. At the end of the day, both cables have their rightful place in a given system, especially with proper matching to the needs and preferences of the user. I happened to prefer the DSR. Not everyone will.

Nice work, Dave. And thanks for the opportunity to audition them!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2019, 05:45 pm »
Thanks so much for your feedback Ern and bazelio!   :thumb:

I think it'll help others decide and I have no doubts preferences will change depending on system and personal preferences. In my systems, both are really good... just different. bazelio's description of the DSR is a great explanation of how ribbon and round wire cables differ in character! He also has a very revealing and clear system and notices things others may not.   :wink:

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2019, 10:06 pm »
Yes, lovely write ups from all. Would love some details about your systems and goals. Would you mind sharing?

Thanks very much
Paul

Ern Dog

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2019, 04:45 am »
Yes, lovely write ups from all. Would love some details about your systems and goals. Would you mind sharing?

Thanks very much
Paul

Paul,
My priority is for my system to sound as close to realistic as possible.  I also love bass so I’ve got dual Salk/Rythmik subs to fill out the low end. And I like clean tight bass. If I play a live track, I want it to sound live with authoritative bass when called for.  I’m using Coincident Total eclipse II’s speakers and all tube components. I’m on my 3rd streamer. I started with a Salk Streamer, then got an Aurender N100h, and liked it so much I upgraded to the Aurender N10, which isn’t going anywhere.  All together the system sounds sublime (with the D4’s) :D

A_shah

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2019, 10:52 pm »
error
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2019, 04:14 am by A_shah »

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2019, 03:09 pm »
Thanks for your post, Asghar!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it and I also agree it's not kind to poor recordings, I don't think the DSR will be either, it's a trade-off... That's part of the reason I also offer the D5 and I'll send that to you so you can get an idea of what adding a bit of warmth will do. :)