What’s the allure to mirrorless full frame cameras?

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
Re: What’s the allure to mirrorless full frame cameras?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Feb 2019, 04:50 pm »
What mechanical stress would be that?
Mirrorless seensor take light all the time unless one close the lens with the plastic cover, hence his short life.

Mechanical stress like dropping the camera. Stuff happens.

Is there any data about short life? Is it the same for CCD and CMOS sensors? I take good care of my cameras and keep them for a long time (5+ years). Short life (3-5 years) would be an issue for me. Especially if the "life" is defined as, say, 50% drop in sensitivity, color accuracy, or whatever critical parameter there is.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 15 Feb 2019, 05:29 pm »
Mechanical stress like dropping the camera. Stuff happens.

Is there any data about short life? Is it the same for CCD and CMOS sensors? I take good care of my cameras and keep them for a long time (5+ years). Short life (3-5 years) would be an issue for me. Especially if the "life" is defined as, say, 50% drop in sensitivity, color accuracy, or whatever critical parameter there is.
Photo sites mentions this detail on some camera test.
https://www.dpreview.com/
I suspect if you google mirrorless vs reflex something will appear.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2019, 06:33 pm »
 :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2019, 10:23 pm »
About the drops and shocks is interesting the magnesium vs plastic subject:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=7xFnXInWA4Sp5wKwmK7YDA&q=camera+body+magnesium+vs+plastic&oq=camera+body+magnesium+vs&gs_l=psy-ab.1.6.33i22i29i30l7.94617.104583..110753...0.0..0.299.2607.0j10j3......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0j0i22i30j0i19j0i22i30i19.30a98K2wugI
Canon usually use plastic and Nikon use magnesium.
Depends on the body. Canon’s lower end like the Rebel series typically use plastic, but the middle and upper end typically use magnesium. Stuff like the xxD and xD use magnesium for most of the body. The WiFi and GPS models use plastic on the top so they can transmit.

Or at least that was the trend up until recently? My 6D is magnesium with a plastic top. My 40D is just about all magnesium.