Astron Issues

dboulet

Astron Issues
« on: 2 Apr 2010, 08:21 pm »
Hooked up my new Astron PS to my TWO yesterday, expecting the fuse in the amp to blow. Instead I blew the fuse in the Astron, after about 2 minutes of listening. Any idea why that would happen?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Astron Issues
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2010, 10:21 pm »
I've no idea what could have happed.  Please do replace the fuse and see if it happens again ;-)  If you determine that the Astron is defective, I'll replace it.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
Astron Issues
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:44 am »
Another customer had the same problem and he found 5A fuses in the Astron.  I'll eat my hat if that size fuse is correct for this 10A linear power supply...  I've emailed Astron and we'll find out early next week.  In the mean-time, let me ask you to try a 10-15A slow-blow fuse.

dboulet

Astron Issues
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2010, 06:38 am »
Well, the following is screen printed onto the back of the Astron: "FUSE 5 AMP, 115 VAC, 60 HERTZ, 500 WATTS".

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Astron Issues
« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2010, 11:38 pm »
We're going to discontinue the Astron until we know what's going on. 

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:14 am »
What model Astron is it? I have an Astron SS30 for my HF transceiver and it has a 5 amp fuse. It's powered my HF RIG while transmitting on 2M w/ 100 watts continuous output and never blew a fuse. The HF was drawing around 18 amps continuous.

MikeFlaherty

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:09 am »
My Astron is also marked 5 Amp, BUT... it's working fabulously with my 1.2.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2010, 05:23 am »
Our best guess now is that there is a defect on the soft-start.  This is potentially a difficult proposition for us (Virtue) that we will address quickly as we have other challenges in the past.  My advice to customers is to continue breaking in units slowly and avoid using batteries until further notice.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2010, 08:15 pm »
Turns out that the Astrons were not blowing due to anything with the soft-start.  Also, we had a theory about electro-magnetic interference... wrong.

Rather, a bunch of PSUs made in April 2010 had an under-voltage capacitor inside (serial numbers 2010030xxx) and Astron admits that their testing regime would not find it.  A 5+ minute burn-in under load would have caused the cap to fail and blow the fuse if not the entire unit (which occurred for 3 of our customers). 

We only lost one amp during an Astron failure, and we're repairing it.  The Astrons in the field have already been recalled and we're currently replacing with JTs.  I guess we're not the only ones seeing a speed-bump or two this month!