what battery power supply are you using

Thanks

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Battery powered Two, WOW !
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:24 pm »
30 day money back - go for it!  I sent Marvin an Oppo so that he could compare with Piano for his forthcoming review.  Hey said that the Piano literally smokes it.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:27 pm »
Correction... I sent Marvin a DV-980.  You'll need to tell me how Piano stacks up to your Blue Ray player.

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:09 pm »
And if you could get your hands on the BDP-83SE that would really make things interesting.  :eyebrows:

I used to have a 980 and the BDP-83 kills it. Let me think about it. If I choose to try the Piano I will give an unbiased review between the two. From what I can tell from you other products, it's going to be a review worth doing. The Oppo BDP-83 was reviewed by several heavy hitters and was given the class as best in price range. I'd like to test them in my treated room and see if you can topple the Oppo of it's pedistal. zman

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2010, 08:55 pm »
Hehe... I'm sure that we could just start a collection here to sponsor your upgraded player!  Anyway, I welcome the A:B comparison.  Considering how little the actual DAC in Piano costs (nearly free), it would be a crying shame to see it smoke a product with DACs costing 20x the price ;-)  As you know, the whole implementation matters and for mass market products, they almost always miss SOMETHING important.

dvenardos

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2010, 11:41 pm »
The classic One and Two have been put through lots of unfair tests. :D

I don't know if it would be fair to test the 83-se to the Piano. The 83se costs over $300 more and it has 4 saber dacs per channel (8)total. If you were doing a test on cd players under a thousand dallars then it would be a great test. The Oppo BDP-83 against the Piano would be a fair test. Both within $100 of each other and niether has the saber dac. Seth, send me a Piano to test out for a head to head against the Oppo BDP-83. And while you in such a generous mood pick up a 83-se and send it too. I'll be glad to test them both out.  :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2010, 12:28 am »

Zman sent me this sweet picture of his $60 battery setup.  Care to talk about what components you bought, where, and how you configured them? 

http://www.powerstream.com/24v-chargers.htm
Has anyone tried one of these 3 stage models? 

I don't know which unit Gary uses (GR Research), but he maintains that he can leave his charger attached and even (trickle) charging, with no discernable change in sound quality.

wsturner

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2010, 02:31 am »
zmanastronomy is correct. Power the ONE.2 with a battery, and you will be amazed!

Things get "bigger". The depth of the sound increases. You never get the feeling that the amp is "straining" to reproduce the music.

I recently compared the ONE.2 to an Altmann BYOB - both battery powered. They both sounded great!  If you set them both to the same power output, and blindfolded me, I couldn't tell the difference. But when you consider the power and cost difference, the ONE.2 would be the clear choice.

jtsnead

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2010, 05:53 am »
Hi Zman,
Do you think your battery set up is eqiuvalent to the GR version
Does it provide as much current?
Could you send me a wiring diagram.
Thanks,
JT

madawasca mike

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2010, 11:00 am »
Yes I'd like a diagram, as well.

al128

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2010, 12:26 pm »
I made my own. Two 12v 8amp hr batteries and ordered the charger from ebay. $60 for batteries and charger. You need to know how to connect a system to do your own. I got the batteries from Batteries ASAP. Went to radioshack and picked up the wire and connectors and soldered everything together. It was incredible at the sonic differance it made. I had bought a Acoustic Research power cord for the 30v 90watt power supply and that was a great differance. But when I went batteriy powered it pushed the little Two

would you happen to know how much amps the TWO pulls, say at regular listening levels (80'ish dB)? ... by using something like a kill-a-watt meter? maybe seth can pipe in  :eyebrows:

what I would like to figure out is how long the 2 units of 8ah batt's last you (2,3 4 hours) ... well you are prob. aware you shouldnt wear them down below 50% of their capacity (iow you shouldnt take out more than 4ah before charging them again)

so 4 ah x 25v (12.5v times 2) = 100watt hours (which means you could run it one hour at 100w, or 2 hrs of 50w )

cynan

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:40 pm »
Here is how to connect 4 12V batteries to get a 24v source (actual voltage for optimal usage range between approx 25 and 28 volts). Either method shown will give you an in-series, in-parallel combination that will give you the 24V nominal output. This is how the GR research kit is connected. Simply connect the load (virtue amp or charger) to contacts marked "24 volt positive lead" and "24 volt negative lead"

Diagram courtesy of OverlandResource.com:

If only using two batteries, as in zmanastronomy's setup (a single in-series connection), simply connect the positive terminal of the first battery to the negative terminal of the second. Then, similar to the above diagram, connect the load (virtue amp or charger) to the negative terminal of the first battery and the positive terminal of the second. Connect the negative (usually black) terminal of the first battery the the negative lead on the charger and the positive terminal (usually red) of the second battery to the positive lead of the charger. Edit: For the two-battery diagram in the subsequent post, assume the bottom battery is the first battery

cynan

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:47 pm »
Here is a diagram that fits zmanastronomy's dual battery setup exactly.

Note that whether using 2 or 4 batteries, you will need a charger that chargers the correct voltage for the overall output (24V charger) as you are treating the combination of individual batteries as one battery.

Edit: Actually, there is a lot of well explained and diagrammed information for connecting and charging up to 4 batteries in the document where the above diagram was taken. Here is the link:

http://www.nyc-arecs.org/Connecting_Batteries_and_Chargers_in_Series_and_Parallel.pdf

dvenardos

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:54 pm »
Interesting, one makes one large circuit and the other makes two individual circuits and connects them...

Here is how to connect 4 12V batteries to get a 24v source (actual voltage for optimal usage range between approx 25 and 28 volts). Either method shown will give you an in-series, in-parallel combination that will give you the 24V nominal output. This is how the GR research kit is connected. Simply connect the load (virtue amp or charger) to contacts marked "24 volt positive lead" and "24 volt negative lead"

Diagram courtesy of OverlandResource.com:

If only using two batteries, as in zmanastronomy's setup (a single in-series connection), simply connect the positive terminal of the first battery to the negative terminal of the second. Then, similar to the above diagram, connect the load (virtue amp or charger) to the negative terminal of the first battery and the positive terminal of the second. Connect the positive (usually red) terminal of the second battery the the positive lead on the charger and the negative terminal (usually black) of the first battery to the negative lead of the charger.

cynan

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:58 pm »
Sorry for monopolizing this thread all of a sudden, but I have a couple of questions:

1. The best deal I can find on lead acid batteries are on 7AH or 18AH capacities. I suppose 2 7AH would be sufficient for roughly 6 hours - which should be enough. However, the larger the capacity the less voltage drop over usage. Does anyone think it is worth going with the 18AH over 7AH?

2. zmanastronomy, roughly how long does it take for your setup to recharge on average? (I'm trying to determine whether a 1.5-2 amp charger would be sufficient, or might it be worthwhile to look for something around 3 or 4 amps (which are 2x the price)?

brother love

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2010, 07:58 pm »
Great stuff guys, very informative.  :thumb:

Zmanastronomy, does your 2 battery arrangement have a power line in-line fuse?  In addition to being very economical, I really like the smaller footprint of the 2 battery lay-out.

I did some research on the (4) battery power supply kit sold for $199 by GR Research- Danny Ritchie in conjunction w/ Gary Dodd of Dodd Audio; & it looks to be a very good deal ...

The (4) 12v 5a Powersonic PS-1250 F1 batteries are $16 ea.. The power supply looks to be a Soneil 2403SR w/ an  A adapter (24v 1.5 amp) & is $70 online. Incl. Radio Shack hook-up materials: wires,  quick disconnects, slo-blow fuse/ holder, & panel mount Size N coax power jack & plug connections, total costs hit $160 or so. Factoring in the hassle of ordering all the stuff & putting together, $199 seems very reasonable to me.

In the GR Research thread, Danny said the subject power supply can be hooked-up 24/ 7 w/ no sonic difference vs. unplugged (& he has highly discriminating golden ears, so I would take that to the bank).

Either option looks very tempting w/ a Virtue Audio amp.  :green:

ChrisM

« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2010, 08:48 pm »
Well just got my batteries today, took all of a trip to Radio Shack and about 30 min to assemble. Listening right now, anyone want more????? :eyebrows:

ChrisM

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2010, 10:09 pm »
I have a Virtue 2 playing on some AV123 X-LS Encores with upgraded crossovers. My source is an Ipod with WAV files on it ( i know). I want to get Vinny to Imod it. Well anyway let me first say i'm not going back to the outlet, this thing sound's AWESOME on batteries!!!! Black background, better bass and just a overall better presentation of the music. It just sounds " right" now. I thought it sounded great before, but now it's AWESOME!!! Thinking of putting yours on batteries DO IT you won't regret it. Oh my batteries are two Powersonic 12v 7ah. Still crankin, we'll see how long they last.

dvenardos

« Reply #19 on: 17 Mar 2010, 10:20 pm »
Yeah, I was just commenting on the diagram. Wow, cool look at the pretty pictures!  :wink:

Well it looks like I thanked the right person after all. I'm getting old and get confused somtimes. Thanks to both who add diagrams. :oops: