Virtue One.2 Temperature

julcat

Virtue One.2 Temperature
« on: 12 Mar 2010, 07:58 pm »
I Just recieve my Virtue One.2 amp with the 30v JT Dynamics Power Antek Linear Supply, sounds really beautiful but the amp is a little hot, if put my hand on it it feels hot and i'm not pushig it hard, the sound level is low, tripaths amps are consider cold amps, is these normal??

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Re: Virtue One.2 Temperature
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2010, 08:41 pm »
They aren't cold amps, they are low powered amps.

Biggie.

doorman

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2010, 08:57 pm »
They should feel good and warm, not hot!
Don

littletree76

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2010, 11:04 am »
Within the amplifier, there is heat pipe construction which convey heat from integrated circuit to the case. Namely the case is being used as heat sink for heat dissipation. Thus the case certainly become hot on touch. Keep running the new amplifier for 100 hours for burn-in as well as stress test to convince yourself that it work fine at this temperature.

nigelnaim

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2010, 11:10 am »
Three hours with my ONE.2 conected to the Astron LSA-10A Linear Power Supply (115v)/  An infrared thermometer indicates 103 degrees. 

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2010, 11:16 am »
Remember that how hot your amps run will depend on how loud you like to play your music, how efficient your speakers are, and the ambient temperature of your room!

I remember when it was a big thing on computer forums to say what temperature the PC ran at, but nobody ever posted the room temperature to make their posts meaningful.  :wink:

nigelnaim

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2010, 11:41 am »
Room temperature is 73 degrees. Amp not played loud. Efficiency is 90 dB.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:37 pm »
Guys,
The amps are not cool and we're not hiding the heat at all - we're basically putting the chips right up against the case (via the heatpipe).  Roger used to work in a hot garage and in summer-time his amps got quite hot to the touch... So, I think that 100 degrees F is normal.  We'd like to run these at higher voltage in the future... how hot is too hot?  120 degrees F?  You've seen previews of the new heatsink... a single heatsink doubles the surface area of the amp - works wonders.
Seth