DACs

Cheerwino

Re: DACs
« Reply #40 on: 6 Aug 2009, 06:56 pm »
We're bustin' our butts on it, working through the kinks.  It's a pre-amp as much as it is a dac and one of the challenges is keeping all the analog inputs analog, and the digital ones digital.  The design is looking really hot... stepped potentiometers, custom output transformers, and all the love that Michael can pour into it.  Day by day we're getting closer and we're gunning to have a prototype at RMAF...

Sounds totally awesome! Just what I've been wanting!
And headphone jack? Tube-driven attachment to cut you own french fries? You know we want it all!

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
« Reply #41 on: 6 Aug 2009, 07:30 pm »
We're bustin' our butts on it, working through the kinks.  It's a pre-amp as much as it is a dac and one of the challenges is keeping all the analog inputs analog, and the digital ones digital.  The design is looking really hot... stepped potentiometers, custom output transformers, and all the love that Michael can pour into it.  Day by day we're getting closer and we're gunning to have a prototype at RMAF...

How about too that has a built in "capacitor-to-swap" function that user can adjust the cut off freq of their Satellite speaker to match with the sub-woofer, without having us to solder/resolder the caps inside the Virtue 1/2? Just a thought

dvenardos

« Reply #42 on: 6 Aug 2009, 07:44 pm »
Oh...stop keeping us waiting for TOOOooooOoooOoo long. :duh:

It is like a good bottle of wine, you just can't rush it.  :wink:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #43 on: 6 Aug 2009, 11:45 pm »
The dual capacitor high-pass filter (with a jumper) is very much standard in the new units... as are stepped potentiometers, higher voltage handling, soft-start circuit (for you battery people), and a few other little bells and whistles that you're just not going to get out of me here and now.  I've not yet heard the new amps so it could all just be for naught... we'll see won't we...?

potter

« Reply #44 on: 11 Aug 2009, 05:50 pm »
Hi Seth.

Have you seen the new ESS SabreTM DAC (with integrated ground-centered 2Vrms driver)?

:D

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #45 on: 11 Aug 2009, 07:34 pm »
Of course!  It's part of Michael's new design...

Cheerwino

« Reply #46 on: 11 Aug 2009, 08:40 pm »
Of course!  It's part of Michael's new design...

Good one Potter! Now we have a bit more info. Let's keep workin' 'em over and eventually they'll spill the beans on this DAC!

I'm wondering how much I should be saving up for this thing, when and how much space I need to leave on the shelf (Virtue One case or Sensation case)?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #47 on: 11 Aug 2009, 08:55 pm »
Bah... Virtue case... thankfully.  We don't do mostly empty boxes.

multibit16

« Reply #48 on: 11 Aug 2009, 09:15 pm »
Hi Seth.

Have you seen the new ESS SabreTM DAC (with integrated ground-centered 2Vrms driver)?

:D

Specs are worse than the 32bit ES9018  and older 24bit ES9008 but it looks easier to use with far less pins, more importantly its a lot cheaper.

The ES9018 does sound noticeably different to the ES9008 so it will be interesting to see how the cheaper ES9022 compares sonically

I have Twisted Pears Buffalo and Buffalo32s,  I replaced the reglation with Paul Hynes Shunt and series regs which really boosted the performance,  much better than the standard  types ,  the AVCC L & R  have a big influence on performance

Cheerwino

« Reply #49 on: 12 Aug 2009, 12:06 am »
:thumb:

Excellent!
Virtue case priced? < $500?

Wonder which color sounds best?

dvenardos

« Reply #50 on: 12 Aug 2009, 05:08 am »
You are going to fit all those inputs in a Virtue case?  :scratch:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #51 on: 12 Aug 2009, 05:26 am »
The propeller posts are hogs.  Without them, you can fit many, many inputs/outputs on the little Virtue case.  It will be affordable but not less than $500.  Benchmark is charging $1,800 for this functionality and if ours doesn't sound better Michael is going to swan dive into an Hawaiian volcano.

Cheerwino

« Reply #52 on: 12 Aug 2009, 11:20 am »
Benchmark is charging $1,800 for this functionality and if ours doesn't sound better Michael is going to swan dive into an Hawaiian volcano.

Make sure he finishes the Sensation, first!  :icon_lol:

Sounds like it will still undercut the competition and not hog my shelf space.  :thumb:

droht

« Reply #53 on: 12 Aug 2009, 12:24 pm »
The propeller posts are hogs.  Without them, you can fit many, many inputs/outputs on the little Virtue case.  It will be affordable but not less than $500.  Benchmark is charging $1,800 for this functionality and if ours doesn't sound better Michael is going to swan dive into an Hawaiian volcano.

I really like that level of dedication to a project...

I'm curious on price:performance of DAC.  Sounds like it will be a more obvious choice for folks buying a Sensation.  Any chance of a lower priced DAC to fit more with ONE or TWO users?  I see discussions pretty often of folks who are wading into the more modest priced section of the mid to higher end.  They might very well drop $400 or so on an amp, but they will not spend twice that or more on a DAC.  It would great to see you guys provide an entry level product.  There are good options out there sub $500.  Just my 2 cents.  It is clearly a tough line to walk between bringing great gear to "the masses" and producing world class products.  So far, so good.

HT cOz

« Reply #54 on: 12 Aug 2009, 01:41 pm »
This would certainly appeal to many people, but also leave the option for a pure DAC using the absolute best sounding Sabre Chip (Not that this may not be just that) for next year...

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #55 on: 12 Aug 2009, 01:49 pm »
I decided to do a multi-function DAC/pre-amp/headphone amp first.  It's hard and expensive.  We'll do a scaled back version after...

HT cOz

« Reply #56 on: 12 Aug 2009, 02:35 pm »
I decided to do a multi-function DAC/pre-amp/headphone amp first.  It's hard and expensive.  We'll do a scaled back version after...

It has to be easier to scale down than up  aa

panomaniac

« Reply #57 on: 12 Aug 2009, 03:16 pm »
the AVCC L & R  have a big influence on performance

This is true and is getting the attention it needs.  The output stage is also of great importance.
And that will be very sweet in this design.

droht

« Reply #58 on: 12 Aug 2009, 03:28 pm »

Cool.  I flip almost daily on whether I prefer a single box to cut down on clutter and connections or separate boxes for everything.  In my head I know the single box makes sense.  But the rest of me likes having more toys to play with and switch around.  It's an ugly hobby at times.  My latest obsession is the Woo Audio stuff.  I really like the idea of a tube pre with high quality HP amp.  But I somehow have convinced myself that I can't live with an OLT design, so I'm spinning wheels like normal.  :) 

tubesound

« Reply #59 on: 12 Aug 2009, 03:35 pm »
A question: will there be a remote coming with this DAC?