What digital or T amps have you compared the Virtue 2 to?

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
Re: What digital or T amps have you compared the Virtue 2 to?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:47 am »
first let me show you what that power supply sells for elsewhere http://www.trcelectronics.com/Cosel/uaw250s-24.shtml

hookup should be quit simple and up front.
3 of the tabs are for the power input from the wall. (ground, neutral, line)

the other tabs are 2 positives and 2 negatives. see here http://www.cdiweb.com/datasheets/cosel/UAW_series.pdf

the seller on ebay has had them listed for months so obviously they haven't been seen by many.
let me see how mine works when it gets here I'm sure he will have more.

what a nice looking smps!!!!!!!!!!

dvenardos

Re: Speaking of Power supplies
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2009, 04:52 am »
You are getting brave Dean.  :wink:

Here are the parts I ordered for the linear ps I am "working" on:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouser #:      611-DA102J12S215PQF
Mfr. #:    DA102J12S215PQF
Desc.:    Rocker Switches SPST 16A ON-OFF BLK

Mouser #:    576-03453RF7H
Mfr. #:    03453RF7H
Desc.:    Fuseholders, Blocks, and Clips Shock Safe 3AG

Mouser #:    562-703W-00/08
Mfr. #:    703W-00/08
Desc.:    Low Current Power Inlet AC RECPT .250 Q-C

Mouser #:    806-KPPX-4P
Mfr. #:    KPPX-4P
Desc.:    DC Power Connectors 4P POWER PLUG SNAP AND LOCK

Mouser #:    502-S-760
Mfr. #:    S760
Desc.:    DC Plugs 2.1MM X 5.5MM BLK

Mouser #:    806-KPJX-PM-4S
Mfr. #:    KPJX-PM-4S
Desc.:    DC Power Connectors 4 PN PANEL MT POWER MINI DIN

Has anyone tried one of these yet ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260292882720&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I just ordered one and will report on it once I've received it.

For those of us who are unedamucated in the ways of DIY electronics, what has to be done to that power supply to make it useable with an amp?

droht

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2009, 10:39 am »
Trust me when I say not even a little brave.  Just curious.  I was concerned that I might not be able to switch out fuses in the amp.  I am certainly not going to start wiring up power supplies.   :nono: 
You are getting brave Dean.  :wink:

Has anyone tried one of these yet ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260292882720&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I just ordered one and will report on it once I've received it.

For those of us who are unedamucated in the ways of DIY electronics, what has to be done to that power supply to make it useable with an amp?

panomaniac

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2009, 02:31 pm »
Cosel make a LOT of different supplies.   I have several different styles here.
The UAW look like it would be easy to connect, nice screw terminals.

Let me have a look at the docs and I'll get back to you.

dvenardos

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2009, 10:53 pm »
Trust me when I say not even a little brave.  Just curious.  I was concerned that I might not be able to switch out fuses in the amp.  I am certainly not going to start wiring up power supplies.   :nono: 

You really aught to try wiring up the batter supply kit. It is all DC so no worries about house voltage.

jimi00

« Reply #25 on: 28 Aug 2009, 04:01 pm »
I recently had a chance to compare the Trends Audio TA10.1 to the Virtue One on B&W CM1 speakers and also Q-Acoustics 1020 speakers. I listen to music at fairly low levels, so power was not an issue. The low end is deeper on the Virtue, but not as tight as the Trends' who also displayed better dynamics. Spacialization was fairly better for the Virtue than for the Trends. Mids and Highs had better definition and shone better with the Trends. With the Virtue, the Highs started to shine when the volume control was brought at least to the Twelve o'clock position. All in all, for low listening levels, the Trends was my favorite of the two.
My 2-cents.

Cheerwino

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2009, 08:35 pm »
I recently had a chance to compare the Trends Audio TA10.1 to the Virtue One on B&W CM1 speakers and also Q-Acoustics 1020 speakers. I listen to music at fairly low levels, so power was not an issue. The low end is deeper on the Virtue, but not as tight as the Trends' who also displayed better dynamics. Spacialization was fairly better for the Virtue than for the Trends. Mids and Highs had better definition and shone better with the Trends. With the Virtue, the Highs started to shine when the volume control was brought at least to the Twelve o'clock position. All in all, for low listening levels, the Trends was my favorite of the two.
My 2-cents.

Hi Jim. Which power supply were you running with the Virtue One?

jimi00

« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2009, 08:56 pm »
My 2-cents.

Hi Jim. Which power supply were you running with the Virtue One?

It was the 30V/90W.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2009, 09:59 pm »
I recently had a chance to compare the Trends Audio TA10.1 to the Virtue One...

There's always something to be said about system synergy.  Even after 200 hours the Trends with the Audiomagus "Value Mod" in the context of my system was totally unacceptable - at any volume.  For critical listening, in my case, the Virtue can be taken seriously, but not the Trends.  It's like comparing apples to turnips.  And I loathe turnips!

jimi00

« Reply #29 on: 28 Aug 2009, 10:39 pm »
I recently had a chance to compare the Trends Audio TA10.1 to the Virtue One...

There's always something to be said about system synergy.  Even after 200 hours the Trends with the Audiomagus "Value Mod" in the context of my system was totally unacceptable...

This is very interesting considering my experience and the Trends' reputation. You seem to suggest that the Trends is not a good amp at all. What speakers did you run it on?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #30 on: 28 Aug 2009, 10:50 pm »
RAW OB-2X... somewhat inefficient but I don't think that's the issue as a 2A3 offers only 3.5 watts... and it sounds glorious on the same speakers.

Even the ancient McIntosh MA-6100 is far more listenable than the Trends.  Guess I'm not too trendy.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #31 on: 29 Aug 2009, 12:17 am »
I've had more than one and fewer than four customers say they preferred the Trends in the mid-high... I'd rather not get in a tussle over it.  Trends is a good sounding product.

Anyway, the new amps will have an even lower sound floor and even more balls.  I'm expecting that this makes the amp better in every way.  Let's see!

dweekie

« Reply #32 on: 29 Aug 2009, 01:11 am »
The Trends (and original Sonic Impact) has been a product of very mixed reviews.  It's interesting to note the polar responses of reviews, such as those from many users like WindChaser to the high praise from blind listening tests against very nice amps in Stereomojo.  The Virtue products seem more consistent in reviews.  I'm not sure why that is the case, but individual preferences are difficult to predict.  I personally find the Virtue far superior to the Trends one my 97db sensitive speakers (which should level off the power differences somewhat).

Wind Chaser

« Reply #33 on: 29 Aug 2009, 01:25 am »
The Virtue products seem more consistent in reviews.  I'm not sure why that is the case...

Maybe it's less fickle and system dependant?

doorman

« Reply #34 on: 29 Aug 2009, 02:29 am »
Although I do prefer my V-1 to the Trends 10.1 I previously had, and this partly because to me, the V-1's bass seems more realistic, my Trends had a noticeably quieter background.
Perhaps it's my particular unit.
Don

neutralos

« Reply #35 on: 3 Sep 2009, 01:35 am »
I have to throw my comments though I did it in the beginning of this thread yet:

the Trends is a really smooth and well balanced amp for the money. Wide soundstage is also present, but the most weak point of the Trends was the bass if hooked up with not high sensitive speakers. And I own different speakers: from 8 Ohm Fostex fullrange to 4 Ohms 50 kilogramms/ 1,30 meters Focals.

The Trends could not produce this physically bass (it was only listenable) like the Virtue 2. I really wondered myself when the Virtue brought my 4 Ohms Focal monsters to sing - including the physical bass nearly without any distortion also in higher dB levels.

Please compare the Power Supplies of both an you can imagine what I mean.
BTW: I found the soundstage of the Virtue even more vertical than the Trends and the Mids/Highs were also smooth and well balanced.
I can imagine myself that some mellow, smooth and quiet listeners would like the Trends more but I strongly prefer the Virtue 2 in most disciplines ...

maxwalrath

« Reply #36 on: 3 Sep 2009, 01:43 am »
I've got a used Virtue 2 w/ a 90 / 30 power supply on the way from M. Mardis.  I will compare it to his modded Trends (both with a Modwright Beta pre...possibly without the pre as well, depending on how curious I am) running into Reference 3A deCapo i's. 

panomaniac

« Reply #37 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:54 am »
Well you guys know me - I like the Trends, it's a good amp.  But it just can't do real musical levels on anything but horns.  But it is very sweet in the midrange, no doubt.  Some real magic there.

In the same power range, I actually prefer the KingRex because it sounds both stronger and smoother to me.  Or better yet, the AMP6 kit from 41Hz.com - if you like to solder.

They all have their good points - and they all sound like Tripath to me.  In fact when I walked into Vinnie Rossi's Red Wine room at last year's RMAF I could have told you blindfolded that it was Tripath.  Just something about it....

For me the strong point of the Trends is the midrange and the treble is nice too.  For low level listening it does very well.  But I'm not saying anything new - am i?  :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:30 am »
Maybe the value modded Trends I had was a turkey?  The person who bought it from me sold it within a few  weeks also.  Or maybe it boiled to down to system synergy for him too?

I've tried close to a dozen different Tripath amps, the Little Dot being the most powerful, followed by the Virtue One.  Although they share a common signature, some I definitely liked more than others.

jimi00

« Reply #39 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:48 am »
Maybe the value modded Trends I had was a turkey?  The person who bought it from me sold it within a few  weeks also.  Or maybe it boiled to down to system synergy for him too?
Yes, looks like you got a lemon. :)
I like the Trends so much I ordered three. Not one has the same input and power caps as the other. One of them is even clearly less powerfull and doesnt sound as good as the other two.