What digital or T amps have you compared the Virtue 2 to?

maxwalrath

...and what were your thoughts of the comparison?  Most of the reviews I've read so far were stand-alone, not the shootout variety. 

Cheerwino

ChrisM

Re: What digital or T amps have you compared the Virtue 2 to?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2009, 03:06 am »
My intentions. I bought 2 Hlly t-20 amps from ebay 150.00 for both. These amps employ the TA-2020 Tripath chips. I downloaded the data sheet for the chipset. The amps will get the caps upgraded with Sanyo SEPC's. But also i noticed that pin 30 is a 5v regulator for pins 2 and 8. My plan is to snip pin 30 and replace with a low noise regulator to supply pins 2 and 8. I will use a Jacobs Accuvolt i had lying around for power supply (battery powered). Will compare these amps to my Virtue 2 when finished.  The Hlly's have their work cut out for them, this Virtue is a great little amp. Can't wait for the Sensation to roll out. :thumb:

ttan98

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2009, 03:37 am »
My intentions. I bought 2 Hlly t-20 amps from ebay 150.00 for both. These amps employ the TA-2020 Tripath chips. I downloaded the data sheet for the chipset. The amps will get the caps upgraded with Sanyo SEPC's. But also i noticed that pin 30 is a 5v regulator for pins 2 and 8. My plan is to snip pin 30 and replace with a low noise regulator to supply pins 2 and 8. I will use a Jacobs Accuvolt i had lying around for power supply (battery powered). Will compare these amps to my Virtue 2 when finished.  The Hlly's have their work cut out for them, this Virtue is a great little amp. Can't wait for the Sensation to roll out. :thumb:

You need to make a fair comparison between TA2020 ie HLLY amp(rated 15W max)and TK2050(virtue amp,rated about 30W) otherwise Virtue would easily trounce HLLY. Both should be played with high efficient speakers, >92db and music played at reasonable volume.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2009, 06:02 pm »
FYI, the Virtue ONE is really 2 x TK2050 because we're using 2 output chips in fully bridged mono mode.  RMS at 4 ohms is 89wpc, dead clean (< 0.1% THD).  To get the full power from the amp, you'd need a 200w supply at 30v.

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2009, 08:59 pm »
Today I got a Nuforce IA-7 v2 on loan from a friend. He asked me to compare it to Virtue 2...

SGCSG1

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2009, 07:04 pm »
Today I got a Nuforce IA-7 v2 on loan from a friend. He asked me to compare it to Virtue 2...

I'll be interested in your observations.   I'd be more interested in a compare of the Nuforce Icon (with a decent power supply) to the Virtue.

Welborne

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2009, 06:03 am »

I'll be interested in your observations.   I'd be more interested in a compare of the Nuforce Icon (with a decent power supply) to the Virtue.

I promise to write more later when I am in the mood. Meanwhile, I can say that both Nuf and Virtue2 are very capable in making music. Both are very detailed. None of them is harsh. Speaking of sonic inclination, Nuf vs Virtue2 is like comparing a very expensive SS to a very expensive single ended triode tube amp...differerent but both trying to reach the same nirvana. Nuforce is much more expensive however.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:53 pm »
But I think ours cost more to make... which makes NuForce a brilliant business.  Their technology clearly has potential but I think that Virtue has let the cat out of the bag; you can have a reference amplifier for $500-ish.  So where does that leave the Icon?  If they make it better, nobody would buy the IA and Reference series.  We don't have sacred cows that we can't sacrifice so we go for more and more value with every model.  If we're different but equal (or nearly) with the TWO, I'm really excited to see how the THREE and Sensation stack up.  Additionally, you learned here that we are working on a "worse" Virtue amplifier that we can sell for less money and with more features, like the Icon... but of course another no-regret product... more later...

neutralos

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2009, 02:47 pm »
Hi folks I am from germany and just in time read the topic title. I own(ed) and listened to much Class D amps till now.
The following were checked up by me:
- Nuforce Icon
- Trends TA 10.1
- Winsome Labs Mouse
- Poppulse T Amp (first version)
- Silverstone EB02
- Nuforce IA-7 V2
- Virtue Audio Two (Seth will find out who I am)

I don?t want tp make some of the list bad. In fact all of them are really bargains. But two of the list
play a special part meanwhile in my present audio experiences:
Nuforce IA-7 V2 and the Virtue Audio Two. This could be an interesting comparison as both are mentioned meanwhile. Both are beasts in within their own particular natures. More to tell you soon ...

To get the full power from the amp, you'd need a 200w supply at 30v.
Hi Seth can you recommend a brand for clean powersupply also available in germany ?? I want to
check up a more powerful one. You know: the better is the good ones enemy :-)

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2009, 04:21 pm »
Check your local distributor for Cosel supplies @ 30v.  You may be able to find on eBay over there as well.  Make sure to use a 2.1/5.5" plug when you wire it up. 

The ada600f-30 looks like a bargain @ $259 in small quantities...  600w with fan, 350w without.
http://www.trcelectronics.com/Cosel/ada600f-30.shtml

If you buy a 36v unit, it can only be dialed down to 33v which we don't recommend on the ONE/TWO.  Could blow it up... The 30v can be dialed up to 33v which is about right for ~RMS 150wpc @ 4ohms.

Welborne

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2009, 07:07 pm »
Hi folks I am from germany and just in time read the topic title. I own(ed) and listened to much Class D amps till now.
The following were checked up by me:
- Nuforce Icon
- Trends TA 10.1
- Winsome Labs Mouse
- Poppulse T Amp (first version)
- Silverstone EB02
- Nuforce IA-7 V2
- Virtue Audio Two (Seth will find out who I am)

I don?t want tp make some of the list bad. In fact all of them are really bargains. But two of the list
play a special part meanwhile in my present audio experiences:
Nuforce IA-7 V2 and the Virtue Audio Two. This could be an interesting comparison as both are mentioned meanwhile. Both are beasts in within their own particular natures. More to tell you soon ...

To get the full power from the amp, you'd need a 200w supply at 30v.
Hi Seth can you recommend a brand for clean powersupply also available in germany ?? I want to
check up a more powerful one. You know: the better is the good ones enemy :-)

so interesting that I did and do too listen to many of the amps you listed, namely Pop Pulse T1 and T150, Nuforce IA7 V2, Virtue Two plus Charlize 1 and 2.

And we shared the same opinion that Nuforce IA-7 v2 and Virtue Two stand out from the crop. When you look at the price, nothing can beat Virtue Two.  In fact I think these two machines both excel at area that they are made for, and at the end of the day it comes down to personal taste.  :thumb: :thumb:

I can't wait to see there would be Virtue 3 or Sensation......

neutralos

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2009, 03:56 pm »
Thanks much seth, will start a source comparison soon.

And we shared the same opinion that Nuforce IA-7 v2 and Virtue Two stand out from the crop. When you look at the price, nothing can beat Virtue Two.  In fact I think these two machines both excel at area that they are made for, and at the end of the day it comes down to personal taste.  :thumb: :thumb:

I can't wait to see there would be Virtue 3 or Sensation......

If you listen about 10 seconds to an amp and say to yourself: "Wowww !! Interesting" - be sure you have a special item in front of you. This was the situation when hooked up the Nuforce IA-7 first time comparing to the other Tripaths. The Virtue Two arrived later ... Experiences are hard to explain but within the first seconds you feel power and control of the high end line of Nuforce. Even at higher volume levels it delivers full body sound into the room without any distortion. I had the impression like that an bodybuilder was training with spoons :) . The other Tripaths have no chance especially when your room is at least 20 square meters and your speakers not over 90 dB.

The other Tripaths would give their best performance in smaller rooms or hooked up with very high sensitive fullrange speakers. That?s my opinion.

In short about the Virtue Two: "same like Tripath but with balls :wink:"

A comparison to the Nurforce IA-7 V2 is very hard. It depends on the choosen speakers I think. With 95 dB Fostex fullrange speakers the partner Virtue was excellent. For the harder to drive ones (lower 88 dB) I would prefer the Nuforce in any way. But hey - I have not upgraded the Virtue Two with better power supply. Not yet !! aa

panomaniac

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2009, 05:10 pm »
As far as I know - NuForce is not Tripath based.  They devevloped their own Class-D circuit a few years ago and have used and refined that.
But I have not kept up with their circuits, so can't say for sure.

neutralos

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2009, 11:12 pm »
As far as I know - NuForce is not Tripath based.  They devevloped their own Class-D circuit a few years ago and have used and refined that.
But I have not kept up with their circuits, so can't say for sure.

... and listened to much Class D amps
8) Yes you?re right - they use other chips.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2009, 04:36 am »
With these amps, the power supply is a big deal.  The  Nuforce IA-7 has an internal PSU that can output more than 300w. I'll be that we sound nearly as good with a 130w PSU but with a 300w PSU, that would be the real test.  We'll offer it one day...

Welborne

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2009, 08:31 am »
With these amps, the power supply is a big deal.  .......

I can't agree more  aa aa aa :wink: :thumb: :green:

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
Speaking of Power supplies
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2009, 09:12 pm »
Has anyone tried one of these yet ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260292882720&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I just ordered one and will report on it once I've received it.

droht

Re: Speaking of Power supplies
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jul 2009, 01:13 am »
Has anyone tried one of these yet ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260292882720&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I just ordered one and will report on it once I've received it.

For those of us who are unedamucated in the ways of DIY electronics, what has to be done to that power supply to make it useable with an amp?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:43 am »
first let me show you what that power supply sells for elsewhere http://www.trcelectronics.com/Cosel/uaw250s-24.shtml

hookup should be quit simple and up front.
3 of the tabs are for the power input from the wall. (ground, neutral, line)

the other tabs are 2 positives and 2 negatives. see here http://www.cdiweb.com/datasheets/cosel/UAW_series.pdf

the seller on ebay has had them listed for months so obviously they haven't been seen by many.
let me see how mine works when it gets here I'm sure he will have more.