Question on PCs

Afterimage

Question on PCs
« on: 17 Jul 2016, 11:18 pm »
I put in two Obsession Power Cords, one on my preamp and one on my power amp.  I think I am coming up on 200 hours.  Is that enough time to conclude how the cords sound or is there still more burn in to go?  Thanks.

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Question on PCs
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2016, 11:23 pm »
Do these have the Rhodium ends? If so, you still have more cooking to do.... For some reason, rhodium takes f..o..r..e..v..e..r to come around.

I assume you are expecting more from them? I think patience will reveal something special. I have some TWL power cables here and they are stupid good, so I have no reason to believe these higher end offerings from Pete will be anything but better than the Plus series I use.

Afterimage

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2016, 01:30 am »
here is what I have.

"The Obsession" uses the phenomenal, "top of the line" and stupidly expensive ($770 for the 2 connector set!) Furutech FI-50 NCF series of connectors.

As for hours, I'm probably actually at 350 because I think Pete may have cooked them for 150 before I got them.  As for my expectations, not sure, I just wanted to try his best offerings to see if it would have any impact on my system.  So far it has, I wanted things to relax a little.  I listen to a lot of pop and rock and on some of the recordings, we all know they are not the best, they can sound hard, harsh, and shout at you.  So far I am noticing things are smoothing out, are less offensive and more enjoyable. 

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2016, 03:42 am »
With my 10+ and 7+ cables, I really cannot fathom how it could get allot better, but I know Pete is one of the good guys. He wouldn't pedal a product he didn't believe in. It is possible that these cables may not be a fit for you and your system, but give them a fair shake before you make the final call.

Afterimage

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:50 am »
I didn't mean to imply these cables were not working.  What I was trying to say that the positive is my system sounds more smooth and relaxed, which is exactly what I wanted. 

audioguy213

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:58 am »
You are hearing what the cables can do, mostly, though I am sure with more time they will open up more.

IME the rhodium plated plugs are more "airy, clear, and etched in the top end" (I do not have the FI-50 like you, but I have some other rhodium connector on a TWL 7+)
while all copper, or gold connectors are warmer.

So, if you are using PCs to tune that last bit of sound in your system, you may want to try a different material.

In 2012 Pete built a cable with these connectors, and said

"I will leave the listening impressions & comments up to my audiophile customer!

However, I have experimented with other rhodium plated connectors quite extensively and they tend to produce a bit more "sizzle" to the upper treble frequencies. As an engineer, I'm not a huge fan of rhodium since it's really a lousy electrical conductor, worse than gold, aluminum & brass...

I'll stick to the best electrical conductors, silver & copper!"

Now, he obviously has come around on his thinking in the past 4 years, so it;s not like his Obsession Cables aren't awesome,
But - so much of audio is about what is right for YOU and YOUR system, and YOUR music, and YOUR room,

I have a pair of old fashioned TWL 8+ with copper connectors that I can send you to try

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2016, 12:14 pm »
After 200 hours of actual play, plus the hours Pete pre-cooks them, you are mostly there I would think. If there's more to go it will be that last 5%, which will likely result in a bit more open space and airiness. Tonally you should be there, extension wise you should be there. I would say you will hear the flavor of the cords right now, and possibly have a bit more of a good surprise as you continue to use them.

Enjoy

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2016, 01:29 pm »
Now, he obviously has come around on his thinking in the past 4 years, so it;s not like his Obsession Cables aren't awesome,
But - so much of audio is about what is right for YOU and YOUR system, and YOUR music, and YOUR room,
Maybe after the constant audiophile begging of more expensive he threw his hands up and gave 'em what they wanted.   :wink:  That said I would like to know his reasons though. 

jriggy

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2016, 02:31 pm »
Just because they are the most expensive offering, doesn't mean they are right for your system. Taking system synergy into account first, then your musical tastes, the music you mention may not be suited for a 'super cable' such as the Obsession.
 In another case, I have even noticed the "to much of a good thing" factor in my system before. So maybe one Obsession PC and one 7plus would give a tonality you like even better. Its a piece by piece matching game some times. With that said, going all TWL PC's in my system (7plus and Digital American) is the best I have done after numerous brands.

Afterimage

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2016, 02:47 pm »
You are hearing what the cables can do, mostly, though I am sure with more time they will open up more.

IME the rhodium plated plugs are more "airy, clear, and etched in the top end" (I do not have the FI-50 like you, but I have some other rhodium connector on a TWL 7+)
while all copper, or gold connectors are warmer.

So, if you are using PCs to tune that last bit of sound in your system, you may want to try a different material.

"I will leave the listening impressions & comments up to my audiophile customer!

However, I have experimented with other rhodium plated connectors quite extensively and they tend to produce a bit more "sizzle" to the upper treble frequencies. As an engineer, I'm not a huge fan of rhodium since it's really a lousy electrical conductor, worse than gold, aluminum & brass...

I have a pair of old fashioned TWL 8+ with copper connectors that I can send you to try

yes, I was using PCs or any type of cords to tune my system.  Don't we all?  Why in this day and age, maybe Pete can answer this,  would someone create something "etched"?  With the trend of  high end audio going to transparent, clean and fast, cabling becomes important to balance stuff.  Unless you only listen to high quality recordings(I don't limit things based on recording quality), then IMO the cabling should be to the warm side of things.  I hate going to audio shows because so many rooms they play it safe with the recordings they put on.  A lot of my recordings are mediocre and some poor, but it is some of my favorite music. I asked Pete for his best cables, the last thing in the world I wanted was something taking things in brighter/harder/cold direction.  Maybe I should have communicated better. Anyway, So far I am not hearing things being etched, but I have listened that much either.   I will put it to the test tonight.

Triode Pete

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2016, 04:02 pm »

Yes, I have changed my viewpoint on only "super high quality" Rhodium plating. IMHO, there are three companies that get rhodium plating to sound brilliantly correct... Cardas (with their silver plating under rhodium plating), IeGO (with their SOLID SILVER connectors under rhodium plating) and finally Furutech, especially their FI-50 NCF series (with their α (Alpha) Pure-Copper Rhodium-plated Conductors).

I was so impressed with the new Furutech NCF series that I even changed my hi-fi receptacles to the GTX-D NCF(R) series.

Yes, it takes awhile longer for "The Obsession" as well as "The Silver Statement" (with IeGO Solid Silver w/ rhodium plating) to "burn-in" and "settle" into one's system. Perhaps it is the rhodium-plating and/or perhaps that my two Statement power cord products have 20% more conductors than the "Seven Plus" series...

My design goal is to produce affordable cable products that are very balanced sounding (from the lowest bass notes to effortless highs), that sound natural, organic & real and most importantly, that does not color the sound in any way; cables that "get out of the way", by being neutral, letting your components shine through...

Additional "burn-in" time on "the Obsession" should improve smoothness further over time. Keep in mind that the "rest period", where the cable is not being used, is also beneficial to let the dielectric "settle" and let the cable sound its best. It sounds like "Afterimage" cables are getting there, since he said, "What I was trying to say that the positive is my system sounds more smooth and relaxed, which is exactly what I wanted." That's great news! I believe things will improve even more over time!

At the recent Capital AudioFest, the entire Triode Wire Labs loom was in two rooms with 3 different types of speakers... All of the attendees feedback & professional reviews were extremely positive... There was an "Obsession" power cable in both systems, letting the electronics do their thing...

I firmly believe (as I've been told by several reviewers & customers), that you would have to spend multiples more (up to TEN times as much) to get the same performance...

Mono and Stereo, an European Audio webzine, commented the following conclusion on my three high-end power cords (http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/10/triode-wire-labs-powercords-review.html)

"Conclusion

All Triode Wire Labs powercords show stunning sound performance levels and this, way, way above what their prices would suggest. Actually, they bring a level of sonic excellence which just recently seemed totally out of reach in their respective price regions. I can only recommend them very strongly to all who seek phenomenally capable powercords regardless of the price considerations. They have set a new price-performance ratio that surely will leave a great impact in this market segment. The Triode Wire Labs powercords are very well thought out products, built with utmost care, attention to detail and an incredible sense for visual excellence. Already the "High Power Digital American" shows staggering sound performance attributes and with the "Silver Statement" and even more so with the "Obsession", the music just begins to sound decidedly more natural and above all, very believable.

These powercords are true gems, worthy of inclusion in top class systems regardless of price and my final verdict can only be: highly recommended!"

Any other questions, let me know!

Cheers,
Pete

Afterimage

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2016, 04:40 pm »
Pete, so you mentioned rest period.  I have been running mine continuously since I got them,  does this mean that you advise that I turn everything off from time to time?   

Triode Pete

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2016, 04:46 pm »
Pete, so you mentioned rest period.  I have been running mine continuously since I got them,  does this mean that you advise that I turn everything off from time to time?

Yes, try turning the power off on that component that the power cord is plugged into. Try not to disturb (move) the power cord either...

A rest period of 6 hrs OFF, then 6 hrs ON (or some iteration of that, ie -12 hrs OFF , 12 hrs ON, etc.) works well...

My $0.02,
Pete

audioguy213

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2016, 04:47 pm »
Don't forget to stop listening and sleep yourself once in a while :P
That helps too.

Afterimage

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2016, 11:49 am »
my teenage boys commandeered my man cave to watch movies with their friends last night, so I wasn't able to really put things to the test until they left.   However, by that time it was late and I was only able to listen at moderate to low volumes.  The thing that really stuck out is how wonderfully balanced everything was.  Never heard my system sound better at those lower volumes.  Normally, there is some things recessed so one would have to turn up the volume to hear something better in the mix better.  With the better balance, it is not necessarily.    At those volumes there was noting bright/etched/hard that made me want to leave the room or change to a less offensive track, I sampled about 40 tracks.  I could certainly hear huge differences in recording quality, that is what higher end systems will do.  So relatively speaking,  everything for the most part was still smooth.  Very impressed at those db levels.  I will turn it up tonight and put things to the test at higher volumes. 

For the record here is my system. Salk Streamer Gen III>>>McIntosh MDA 1000 DAC>>>McIntosh C2500 preamp>>>McIntosh MC 452 power amp>>>Elac FS 409 speakers

audioguy213

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2016, 07:32 pm »
Now put a better outlet in your wall and an UberBuss between that and your Obsession cords, and you are all set.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2016, 08:18 pm »
Now put a better outlet in your wall and an UberBuss between that and your Obsession cords, and you are all set.
Yes!