tripath and headphones, a disturbing read

danieljtb

tripath and headphones, a disturbing read
« on: 24 Mar 2012, 08:06 pm »
I got some balanced cables for my senn hd 580 the other day and wired them up to the speaker posts of my tripath 2024 amp ( virtue 1.2 stays dedicated to my speakers).  

What a wonderful sound... folks are right about how nice tripath sounds with headphones.  I was quite happy....untill i read this from Michael Marsis
He did alot of work on modding the Trends tripath a few years ago
http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/start.html

He was very adamant about not using tripath for headphones..regarding the dc offset and especially the ultrasonic noise which these switching amps have. I did some research on the effects of ultra high freq, and if the db is high enough it can damage you.

So my questions are

is ther a filter that can be placed between amp and headphones thar will get rid of all this HF stuff..filtering out everything above 20hrtz?mand howmwould one wire that up

thanks Dan

danieljtb

Re: tripath and headphones, a disturbing read
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2012, 08:14 pm »
oh, the article at the link is in a menu on the left side of the page   "headphones?"

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2012, 09:23 pm »
I remember a while ago when digital amps were relatively new, there was some "controversy" using small digital amps to drive K1000's, for some of the same reasons, mostly the ultrasonic noise.  I used a digital amp for a while with my K1000's, until the amp broke.  Never bothered me.

I currently use a tube amp.  I think it sounds better, but is much more expensive than the digital amp I had.

I'm not a doctor, but it seems that if it was really bad for you, there would be some symtoms, like headaches, before you had permanent damage.

Randy

ericlp151

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm »
4) As great as this amp sounds on speakers, it doesn't sound very good on headphones. You would be much better off with one of the nice opamp or even tube driven headphone amps.

How do I know? I test my amps with headphones. But I have a special rig to eliminate much of the ultrasound and all the DC offset. NO, I will not tell what it is. See below.

5) If you do use this amp to drive your headphones, be warned! Your head may explode! And I will not come over to clean the walls and the carpet. If you are foolish enough to use headphones with this amp, please mention me in your will.

So he won't come over and clean up, but he also won't tell us what "equipment" he uses to filter out the exploding side effects?  Sounds like a pretty nice guy and he wants to somehow be in your will!    :rotflmao:

I found it funny and amusing more than anything.  But believe what you want... To each their own.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2012, 05:14 pm »
You already have a high frequency filter - they are called headphones.  Very, very few transducers will produce any sound above 20khz.

wilsynet

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2012, 05:23 pm »
Agree.

Also, what's the scientific basis for these ultrasonic frequencies causing harm?  Is there at least a measurement somewhere that they're even being produced by the driver?