Empirical Audio's latest P-3A DAC mods with Superclock 2

blizzard

Hello all,  
  I have already written how much I love The Empirical Audio modded P-3A DAC.  To summarize my previous critique, the sound was crystal clear, well-extended (great bass and highs), very natural, and extremely 3 dimensional.  
  Well, as many of you who get involved with audio know, it’s very hard to sit still.  I guess I’m no exception to that rule.  I had recently heard that Steve had come up with some new mods for the P-3A and that he was now installing Superclocks.  Since I started looking into improving my digital front end, I’ve been hearing that jitter is a huge problem that should be minimized.  And, replacing the stock clock with an aftermarket stable one is a huge step in that direction.  So, I sent the P-3A back to Steve Nugent for the latest mods and the addition of the Superclock 2.
  I must say that I was pretty curious as to how much more the sound could improve.  As I’ve said before, as far as I was concerned, this little guy sounded pretty amazing.  Honestly, my gut feeling was that this latest version would prove only slightly better than what I already had.  I feel that there is always room for improvement.  But, this thing was so good that I just couldn’t see it becoming significantly better.  Even so, I still wanted to get the most out of this DAC that I could.  So, off it went again.
  I have had the unit back for a few days now.  And, my preconceived notions turned out to be wrong.  The improvement was significant.  I’m sure anyone reading my previous review and this one might say: “What’s this guy talking about.  He gave this DAC such rave reviews before.  How can it possibly get much better?  Either his first review was, or this one is too complimentary.  In which case his credibility would be suspect.”  At least this is what I would think.  
  I can only answer by saying that  initially it was the best DAC I had ever heard.  And that now, Steve has improved it beyond my expectations.  I didn’t think this DAC was capable of sounding like this.  
  Immediately, 2 things are very apparent:
1.   The sound is now huge.  I don’t know how else to say it.  It’s just very big.  My speakers seem dwarfed with respect to their output.  I feel like this music should be coming from a much larger pair of speakers.  This was the most impressive and most unexpected improvement by far.
2.   The bass also improved.  Before the bass was strong and present – at times a little too present.  This was not really bad thing.  It’s just that sometimes it could have been a little more laid back.  Now it seems to blend wonderfully at all volume levels.
  These two improvements are what hit me immediately, and made me feel that these latest upgrades were well worth it for me.  All the other areas that I mentioned above and in my first review (background detail, naturalness, tight bass, focus, etc.) seem to have improved as well.  I don’t know if these all improved together, thus summing to give this huge dynamic sound.  Or, maybe these individual sound characteristics improved independent of one another, and something else has made the music so enveloping.  But whatever the cause is, I like it.
  I haven’t heard everything out there, and I know this is a dangerous thing to say.  But, I doubt that any of today’s DACs could be much better.  Some may be close or the same, but not significantly better.
  Weather you decide to get one of these or not, I urge anyone who really enjoys a good sound system to make it a point and hear Empirical’s latest full out modded P-3A.  It will be a real treat for the ears.
                        Steve

audiojerry

« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2003, 08:55 pm »
Weather you decide to get one of these or not, I urge anyone who really enjoys a good sound system to make it a point and hear Empirical’s latest full out modded P-3A.

Yah, I'd love to, but I don't think there are any demo's floating around for that to ever happen. Maybe you and I should trade P-3A's some time.

Thanks for the update.

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2003, 09:45 pm »
Audiojerry - I do have a demo rig that includes the P-3A DAC, a Bitmeister digital cable and a Sony DVP-S7700 transport.  This can be demoed for 21 days with a $1K deposit and shipping both ways (around $30).

If you just want to demo only the P-3A, I can do this for $500 deposit plus shipping both ways (around $20).

Just send me an email.  Marbles has just finished auditioning it and has shipped it back, but it is not here yet.  Ask him about it.

blizzard

Trading p-3A's with Audiojerry
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2003, 10:23 pm »
Hey Jerry,
  I'd love to trade DAC's with you sometime.  But unfortunately, I think you'd have a tough time wrestling it out of my hands.
  All kidding aside Jerry.  I really thing you should hear this thing.  I started with the stock P-3A/P-1A/Monolithic Power Supply.  Then I progressed to the P-3A Modwright Level 2/P-1A/Modified Monolithic Power Supply.  Next was the initial Empirical modded P-3A/Modified Monolithic P.S.  And now, the Full up modded Empirical P-3A with Superclock 2 and the Modified Monolithic Power Supply.
  In my opinion (as I'm sure you have gathered from my rants), this thing just dances all over the earlier versions -- not in the same league.  It was not an easy accomplishment -- the last 2 versions were pretty darn good.
  Again, this is my opinion.  But minimally, you have to give this DAC a listen.  I rarely express my opinions or recommend anything.  Too much of this is personal.  But, in this case I feel it definately warrants a llisten.
  Hope you get the chance to hear one and enjoy it as much as I am.
                        Steve

Rocket

p3a mods
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2003, 01:26 am »
hi blizzard,

do you still keep your p1a in the loop.  just curious.

regards

rocket

blizzard

P-1A
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2003, 10:49 am »
Hi Rocket,
  I do not keep it in the loop.  I modified the Monolithic Power Supply so as to give the P-1A the benefit of the doubt.  But, the way it was before the latest mods of the P-3A, it seemed to roll off the high frequencies.  The sound would lose some of its 3-D feel ( one of the P-3A's strong points).
  I am curious though as to how it would sound with the P-3A in its latest form.  I will probably get to this in a few days.  There are 2 reasons why I have kept the P-1A around:
     1.  I think with some mods it might match up well with the P-3A.
     2.  I was waiting to see if Perpetual would ever come up with the speaker correction upgrade.  As long as the P-1A could be modded (to get it up to the P-3A's level), I think that the addition of speaker correction would be something special.  

But as I have it set up now, P-1A is out.
          Thanks for asking Rocket,
                 Steve

Rocket

p1a
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2003, 02:23 am »
hi,

the p1a would be interesting for socs if it is ever available.

regards

rocket

audiojerry

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2003, 05:15 am »
Rocket, the Monolithic Power Supply improves both the P-1A and 3A significantly.

Rocket

monolithic power supply
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2003, 05:26 am »
hi audiojerry,

i have the monolithic power supply.

do you find it a little noisy?

i can't hear the noise whilst playing music but i can hear it from my seated position.

regards

rocket

audiojerry

Re: monolithic power supply
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2003, 06:30 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
hi audiojerry,
i have the monolithic power supply. do you find it a little noisy? i can't hear the noise whilst playing music but i can hear it from my seated position.

Hi Rocket,
no, the Monolithic is 100% silent, even when I put my ear next to it.
I don't think you wanted to hear that  -   :(

Rocket

hi
« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2003, 08:56 am »
hi audiojerry,

thanks for the tip i will contact av123.  although the monolithic seems to be working fine it does have  a slight hum from the transformers.

regards

rocket