Burn-In Times?

ABEX

Burn-In Times?
« on: 19 Aug 2003, 07:20 am »
What Burn-In Times have people experienced with using the  Fry-Kleener?

Cables-Amps-Phonoamps-Caps etc.?

TIA

tianguis

Re: Burn-In Times?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2003, 12:18 am »
Quote from: ABEX
What Burn-In Times have people experienced with using the  Fry-Kleener?

Cables-Amps-Phonoamps-Caps etc.?

TIA

ABEX:
      I've found so far that 48-72 hours is necessary and longer makes no discernable difference (can't hurt, though). I've done a bunch of identical IC's, stopping after 24, 48, 72 hrs. I've done A-B comparisons with identical IC's at 24 and 48 and 72 hrs. The difference between 24 and 48 was not subtle while the ones at 72 hrs. didn't show any noticeable improvement over the 48.
      I've also done some one-offs, including pure silver, and there's the same correlation, although I couldn't A-B them.
       I haven't yet done caps, but I did a 24 hr burn of pre (Transcendent GG) through amp (Berning microZOTL) and speakers (Hammer Super 12's). That gave much more "air" with no other changes. I'm currently burning in (not this minute - gotta listen to vinyl!) a Discovery re-wired Tri-Planar tonearm. After 24 hrs, very promising.
       I haven't yet used it on the Cornet as I don't have the iRIAA board.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

ABEX

Burn-In Times?
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2003, 12:47 am »
Larry:
   Yes,I had tried 30hrs and 48 Hrs. and found 48-50hrs. to be the ideal time and anyhting over that did not make a substantial difference. I will be trying speaker cables next.

I was only using 26AWG which I do not know what if any difference that would make.

I am from NYC originally and my name is Larry also. Funny!

I probably will be getting Caps as soon as my speaker designer settles on the values and I get my Cable business off the ground which should be next month.That is the reason I needed  a buner in the first place. I did not have time and I had heard that burning silver burnin through normal system playback just does not work.Don't know how true that is,but it does not matter now. I have even piggybacked or whatever you call adding 3 IC's in the loop and that works well.

Thanks for your findings,Larry   8)

tianguis

Burn-In Times?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2003, 01:54 am »
Quote from: ABEX
Larry:
   Yes,I had tried 30hrs and 48 Hrs. and found 48-50hrs. to be the ideal time and anyhting over that did not make a substantial difference. I will be trying speaker cables next.

I was only using 26AWG which I do not know what if any difference that would make.

I am from NYC originally and my name is Larry also. Funny!

I probably will be getting Caps as soon as my speaker designer settles on the values and I get my Cable business off the ground which should be next month.That is the reason I ...

Larry:
      I've found that burning in silver IC's or speaker cables ( which I use) in normal use takes much longer than any type of copper. The FryKleaner uses extreme bandwidth and signal amplitude to accomplish what playing music cannot do. I have no idea of relative break-in times, but in my experience, the break-in cannot be accomplished at all without a gizmo like the FryKleaner.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

ABEX

Burn-In Times?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2003, 03:24 am »
"Silver cannot be burned in with only music!"

Yes,that is what I have been told and I believe it. I knew I would need one doing silver ,but I did not want to pay the exuberant prices that some of the units go for.

There are only 3 that I know of and one is not being made any longer,but I have tips on how to make one if need be.

What gauge wire is used in your speaker cable? If you are using a proprietary design I do not need to know,but I am debating on what gauge to use in my design. I am using a different geometry than anyone else I think.Bogdan is close ,but not the same. It should get some radical feedback once I go public. The gauge for IC's I am using is 26AWG.

One guy I have been confering with uses Odessey Amps which could be used for welding so I guess some cables need to be of heavier gauges. I was thinking of just using 22 AWG for speaker cables and if the run goes over 10-12ft. I'll use 20AWG.  

Thanks! 8)