« Reply #41 on: 5 Oct 2008, 02:29 am »

All GR Research Speakers/sub.  Onkyo 7.1 receiver.  Blah blah blah

:thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Show us your Home Theater room *** (photos) ***
« Reply #42 on: 5 Oct 2008, 12:25 pm »
The last two rooms show us the vast difference between owners preferences regarding the required amount of diffusion and absorption in a Home Theater.

lord_glum

« Reply #43 on: 5 Oct 2008, 12:38 pm »
About the only thing the wife has allowed me to do is put down a carpet.    Master Cheif had to go.  I have worked on her to let my add some baffles, but I have been denied.   The carpet help instantly.

Mag

« Reply #44 on: 5 Oct 2008, 02:21 pm »

I first got the diffuser panels for the living room to help with soundproofing. I still wasn't able to contain the sound as the walls are thin in my old house. So  I moved location to the basement.

This room is much more lively than previous room. I could lower the volume level approx. 5 db while still being perceived as loud as living room. With more detail and clarity.

I listened without the panels for about a month, so that I could tell what affect they were having when I placed them in the room. They seemed to add a still quietness to an already quiet room. Marginally focusing the sound, revealing more detail/clarity in music.

The photo above is an updated speaker arrangement.
The rear center speaker facing the wall makes vocals sound fuller. The Studio 100's and the B&W 601's on the shelf, are the front mains. There location makes for a wide solid front center soundstage. The B&W's are critical in this location for adding to the width of the center channel as well as complimenting the Studio 100's in presenting a cohesive image. The monitor 9's in the corner of the room, add width to the overall soundstage making for a more natural presentation in MC stereo, compared to just 2-channel. Which can be done with just the Studio 100's. The other two bookshelf speakers located above the Studio 100's. aren't really needed ,except for the YPAO on my Yamaha to work, they add fill.

Listening mostly in MC stereo, bass is distributed more evenly than with 2-channel stereo. 2-channel stereo by itself is good, but I prefer the wide soundstage of MC stereo. With MC recordings such as sacd or dts, the soundstage it's far superior to 2-channel stereo in this room.

jermmd

« Reply #45 on: 5 Oct 2008, 11:53 pm »

A few Screenshots, HTPC program used is Xlobby, Theatertek is used for DVD playback, Foobar 2000 for Audio

I love the XLobby display. I downloaded it once and I actually bought CQC but I never had the time to commit to the programming/learning curve. I've been using my HTPC for music and movies but it's not nearly that elegant. I need someone to come over and program my HTPC so I can have a front end like that. Nice!

WerTicus

« Reply #46 on: 16 Nov 2008, 03:54 am »
Here is my in progress design that im working on at the moment.

Yes I know its not a photo, but the house isn't even built yet either :P
Design is based around the WAR Audio Dianne speaker surrounded by 2 sets of the open baffle rhythmic /GR research sub woofers.  So the raven r1 ribbon, two accuton mid woofers and 6 12inch servo controlled sub woofers.

Surround speakers shown here are just place holders, and so are the amps and such.  (most likely to use nuforce kit)
Real wall is concave shape and ceiling has acoustic tiles on it.  I am planning on having the whole system controlled with a ps3.

Questions comments? :)

Mag

« Reply #47 on: 16 Nov 2008, 05:17 am »
I think it's a very impressive design. However after a few minutes I thought  the sofas are little tacky. Perhaps a different style sofa in dark brown, IMO.

I know you said the other speakers are just place holders. The center channel is too dinky. You need a big wide center to anchor the sound to the front. Because I'm thinking with the big screen and the wide left,right speaker placement. I would be able to locate the speaker source rather easily. A big wide center channel would help towards a more seamless front soundfield.

rick57

« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2008, 10:32 am »
WerTicus

Looks stunning.  :thumb:

You probably know that ribbons have very limited vertical dispersion? The centre will have the same tweets and same or similar mids?

Cheers

WerTicus

« Reply #49 on: 17 Nov 2008, 11:08 am »
Here is an update.

The main speakers re arranged so the tweeters are ear level because of ribbon's vertical dispersion.  Ceiling has a proper vault in it now. I beefed up the centre but its still just place holders.

Do you guys think a centre channel is important?  Given the seating layout?  A matching centre would cost about 3k on top of the 12k+ for the main speakers, so if it wasn't necessary I could use that elsewhere in the budget, I'm not a HT expert though.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #50 on: 17 Nov 2008, 11:38 am »
The center should be the MTM section of the mains. Also with Dannys new OB 12 high sensitivity speakers a more uniform look can be had with 7 12s in the verticle columns and the better dispersion, sensitivity, less costly drivers, no box, and the cost savings of not needing a dozen monoblocks to drive anything. It would be cool to see those huge columns being driven by something like that 5 channel Cary 300B amp.

WerTicus

« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2008, 12:17 pm »
Well the columns are rythmik servo amp powered except the MTM section.   Likely ill have the whole thing powered by the nuforce 7 channel amp otherwise.

the OB12 you mentioned is the coax driver with two of these subwoofer drivers i saw?  Its certainly a possibility, though the highs wouldn't be as sweet as the raven, and nor would the midrange even come close to the accutons I don't think.  But at the end of the day it might be a good option budget wise.

this is the MTM part / centre im likely to use at this stage:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/waraudio/dianne.html

face

« Reply #52 on: 17 Nov 2008, 04:05 pm »
Do you guys think a centre channel is important?  Given the seating layout?  A matching centre would cost about 3k on top of the 12k+ for the main speakers, so if it wasn't necessary I could use that elsewhere in the budget, I'm not a HT expert though.
If your mains image well and the seating area is in the "sweet spot", a phantom center can work very well.  That being said, I haven't run a center in over a year and couldn't be happier. 

JP78

« Reply #53 on: 17 Nov 2008, 07:43 pm »
werticus - you should really, really get an acoustically transparent screen to stick the center channel behind. it makes a world of difference for the movie experience. really...there's no going back.

Captain Humble

« Reply #54 on: 18 Nov 2008, 02:33 am »
I've run both a phantom center and a real center.
A properly matched center is absolutely my preference.
But... that's in my room, in my system with my ears.

Your preference could be different.
I would try to find a center to audition in your system prior to purchase.
Then you'll have your answer.

Congratulations on a great looking room :thumb:
Jeff

WerTicus

« Reply #55 on: 18 Nov 2008, 02:52 am »
Certainly easy at this stage to change things, so Ill look into these transparent screens... there is easily enough space for one.

here is an update:  with proper model's made for the Dianne, and the surrounds im likely to use because they can be easily hidden into the bulkhead and perform very well, focal coax speakers.

low.pfile

« Reply #56 on: 18 Nov 2008, 04:31 am »
Wert
I like the open approach to your HT room. That is very rare. I see your accordian doors and curtain options-nice.
And I really like your slab sofas too. Great.
Good luck with your project.

WerTicus

« Reply #57 on: 18 Nov 2008, 05:48 am »
Yeah the other side has the doors as well which opens up onto a deck for alfresco dining and then beyond that a pool.  So you can see from the back yard right out the front and some heavy set curtains to block it all off when its movie time.

The doors is a major reason for the open baffle woofers because i just couldnt trust them to not rattle and be generally annoying with sealed sub's.
But without the doors the WAF factor drops to zero.

JP78

« Reply #58 on: 18 Nov 2008, 06:36 am »
werticus - do you personally do these renderings? they are gorgeous. would you be interested in taking on some more work? please send me a pm if you'd like to discuss further.

WerTicus

« Reply #59 on: 18 Nov 2008, 01:09 pm »
Yeah i've been doing them for 9 yrs now.  My company's website is in my sig.