Double Suck!

Doublej

Double Suck!
« on: 19 Mar 2006, 11:09 pm »
The left channel of my Plinius amplifier died yesterday, so today I connected the kitchen receiver with built in CD player, a Teac Reference 100, to my main speakers.

I think this $200 unit sounds better than the $3000 of electronics that replaces it.

Better imaging, better PRAT, with perhaps a bit more electronic sounding top end.

I am not quite giving yet on the big stuff yet. Once the Plinius is back in service I am going to head to head them (I never got around to it) and see where things come out.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, i.e. simplified their system and never looked back?[/i]

kfr01

Re: Double Suck!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2006, 11:17 pm »
Quote from: Doublej
The left channel of my Plinius amplifier died yesterday, so today I connected the kitchen receiver with built in CD player, a Teac Reference 100, to my main speakers.

I think this $200 unit sounds better than the $3000 of electronics that replaces it.

Better imaging, better PRAT, with perhaps a bit more electronic sounding top end.

I am not quite giving yet on the big stuff yet. Once the Plinius is back in service I am going to head to head them (I never got around to it) and see where things com ...

Just make sure you have a friend help you blind test them and use some complex music.  

My guess is that when push comes to shove the Plinius will offer more control.

jermmd

Double Suck!
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2006, 11:18 pm »
For critical, "audiophile," type listening, my more expensive gear has pretty much always bested the cheaper stuff. I'm not so sure about casual listening and sheer enjoyment though.

DSK

Re: Double Suck!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2006, 11:36 pm »
Quote from: Doublej

I am not quite giving yet on the big stuff yet. Once the Plinius is back in service I am going to head to head them (I never got around to it) and see where things com ...

You don't mention which model Plinius or receiver .... however, it sounds like something is wrong with the Plinius, or perhaps room acoustics or the rest of your system is preventing you from hearing the superiority of the Plinius. I'm not saying it is impossible that a particular receiver could beat a particular Plinius amp, but IME it is unlikely ...especially an all-in-one receiver.... something is wrong.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Double Suck!
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2006, 12:10 am »
I keep some lesser expensive gear around just for this purpose. Whenever someone comes in to audition gear and ask if the more expensive stuff is really better than the cheaper stuff, I can show them first hand.
 When I mention "cheaper" stuff, I am not talking about junk. That would really be unfair. I usually use something along the lines of a $400-$500 receiver or integrated amplifier for comparison. All other things being equal.

I will agree that today's "cheaper" stuff does sound better than it has a right to for the money but when push comes to shove, it really doesn't hold a candle to the more pricier gear.

There are exceptions though.