Baby SoundScape

fsimms

Baby SoundScape
« on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:43 pm »
I found a speaker that seems like a baby SoundScape.  It is the Vaughn Caberet.  It has a ribbon tweeter, an Accuton midrange and dual passive woofer bass.   It doesn’t seem to be an assault on the SOTA like the SoundScapes are.  It only goes to 34 Hz or be able to run open baffle.   It also seems to be targeted to the Set crowd.    I guess fine minds must run alike.  :lol:

http://www.stereomojo.com/Onix%20XCD-50%20and%20XIA160%20review/XCD-50ReferenceCDPlayerReview.htm

Bob

sfox7076

Re: Baby SoundScape
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:10 pm »
I love the speaker cable.  It looks like the cable Bond uses to electrocute Oddjob.  Not sure why you would ever need that...

Shawn

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:25 pm »
Pretty nice looking speaker.   I wonder how the two sound compare to each other?  My guess is the minimal baffle on the SS will help achieve better transparency, timbre, imaging, envelopment and ASW (apparent source width). 

kip_

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:31 pm »
Pretty nice looking speaker.   I wonder how the two sound compare to each other?  My guess is the minimal baffle on the SS will help achieve better transparency, timbre, imaging, envelopment and ASW (apparent source width).
Better highs for sure, the RAAL is far superior to the LCY (and any other ribbon for that matter). Selah makes a speaker with Accuton and RAAL drivers, though it's a monitor.

http://www.selahaudio.com/id237.html

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:39 pm »
Better highs for sure, the RAAL is far superior to the LCY (and any other ribbon for that matter). Selah makes a speaker with Accuton and RAAL drivers, though it's a monitor.

http://www.selahaudio.com/id237.html

Hmmm, interesting thread. I wonder if Jim and/or Dennis would be interested in offering a speaker using the Soundscape's mid and tweet, but with a smaller woofer or woofers. Maybe the same profile as an HT-2 TL? The mid/tweet of the Soundscape is already built into its own enclosure.

The target could be the customer who doesn't care for deep, deep bass and has a smaller room. Maybe the Salk owner who's looking for a substantial upgrade from the drivers offered in the Songs or HT-2's?

Or maybe not...

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:53 pm »
Better highs for sure, the RAAL is far superior to the LCY (and any other ribbon for that matter).

I cringe when I see such definitive statements like this.  How do you know this?  Have you heard every other ribbon or even a comparison of the two tweeters in question?  That is, each in a properly constructed cabinet for the particular tweeter?  Also, the speaker being discussed has a midrange that goes up to 15kHz supposedly.  How does that affect the response of the ribbon tweeter?  That is, does the ribbon need to be great if the mid is so great? 

I don't think you can tell much about these speakers without a direct comparison where the two speakers are in the same room and amplified using the exact same equipment, interconnects, etc. (and you consider differences in efficiency). Pretty much anything else is complete speculation. 

kip_

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2010, 08:39 pm »
I cringe when I see such definitive statements like this.  How do you know this?  Have you heard every other ribbon or even a comparison of the two tweeters in question?  That is, each in a properly constructed cabinet for the particular tweeter?  Also, the speaker being discussed has a midrange that goes up to 15kHz supposedly.  How does that affect the response of the ribbon tweeter?  That is, does the ribbon need to be great if the mid is so great? 

I don't think you can tell much about these speakers without a direct comparison where the two speakers are in the same room and amplified using the exact same equipment, interconnects, etc. (and you consider differences in efficiency). Pretty much anything else is complete speculation.

I haven't heard either one of them and neither have you, I'm guessing.

The RAAL tweeter is the flattest measuring, lowest distortion ribbon (within its frequency range) that exists. Rick Craig has, and I'm sure Dennis Murphy has as well, measured pretty much every ribbon or planar tweeter around, and this one's the best. And one of the most expensive.

I never said one speaker was better than the other.