New Member Intro

Slade01

New Member Intro
« on: 19 May 2022, 08:09 pm »
Hi - Also stumbled onto the site.  I am primarily a headphone user and enjoy learning about headphone amps, tube amps.  I'm also a former musician (guitarist/violinist) and love to talk music and instruments as well.   Thanks!

Phil A

Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2022, 09:51 pm »
Welcome to AC!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2022, 10:34 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
My favorite guitarist Michael Karoli was a violinist and bassist.
RIP
Do you think guitarist/violinist tend to play in fifth tuning ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22m57uHa8AA
« Last Edit: 20 May 2022, 02:08 am by FullRangeMan »

Slade01

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2022, 02:23 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
My favorite guitarist Michael Karoli was a violinist and bassist.
RIP
Do you think guitarist/violinist tend to play in fifth tuning ?

Michael Karoli - thanks for making me aware of him, i've been looking him up, and what a talent!

Violins are tuned in fifths to begin.  This is a very interesting question to me, because it kind of makes one think outside the box.  I never did play guitar in 5th tuning, as I only started to learn guitar as my days of violin playing waned - i just accepted the standard tuning and learned standard chords.   Probably if I tuned in 5ths or picked up the mandolin instead, I would have "gotten it" alot faster!   I had a difficult time learning the guitar in the beginning - as I played violin for about 20 years, so its one way of playing - so yeah its near muscle memory to think about playing in fifth tuning especially when it comes to finger placements and such.

Slade01

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2022, 02:23 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Thanks!  Good to be here!   

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2022, 09:19 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Slade01   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2022, 01:45 pm »
Do you have any explanation why Karoli did not do solos ?

Slade01

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2022, 06:48 pm »
Do you have any explanation why Karoli did not do solos ?

Again - another interesting question.  Because Karoli was a bit before my time, I had to look up some of the history behind Can and Karoli's background.   My knee jerk reaction to doing solos is that if you had no interest doing solos at all, ever, you probably felt that song/music as-is is strong enough to stand alone on its own, it doesn't need to be "highlighted" nor does it need that mood enhancements when it comes to experiencing a solo in relation to the music's story/emotional connection. 

As it turns out, Karoli did not believe in pre-arranged music, and would often perform in a "just get up there and jam", playing off the other's reactions at a given moment in a very dynamic and reactive way.   Performing improv style this way imbues a sense of having a unique solo each and every time.  It seems Michael reveled in that process rather than being encumbered to performing a static set of notes time in and time out.

So finding this out (from the article below) I can understand his not having a need to perform a "solo" in the traditional sense when each performance in and of itself becomes a version of a unique solo in his mind.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/michael-karoli-on-guitar-improvisation/5919

Slade01

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2022, 06:49 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Slade01   :thumb:

Thanks!  Really appreciate it!   

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2022, 07:22 pm »
Many thanks for your detailed explanation.
I have always thought they always followed the melody of an arrangement already known by the everyone in the band and made small variations, in some live shows the improvisation was greater but not too much, they always followed the melodic line.

Slade01

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2022, 03:56 pm »
Many thanks for your detailed explanation.
I have always thought they always followed the melody of an arrangement already known by the everyone in the band and made small variations, in some live shows the improvisation was greater but not too much, they always followed the melodic line.

No doubt!  I'm sure there was a core melody to establish the foundation.  I mean a band has to start somewhere obviously - or otherwise it would just be a random jam versus performing a set.   I think it's kind of crazy though the style of being in a reactive improv, as i'm sure this would almost render traditional practices ineffective and/or a bit more difficult.  But all in all, its a pretty unique and most definitely interesting.  You literally will not get the "same" song twice.