$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

Dave H

ClassDAudio vs other amps re-assessment
« Reply #1100 on: 3 Apr 2010, 02:12 am »
On March 26 I wrote:

...Finally, my amp's still breaking in after 100+ hrs. A fine product -- potentially on par with my Hillig based Monoblocks and my Clayton S100.
------------------------------------------------------
I am amending this partial conclusion.

Of all gear, I find amplifier assessment to be the most difficult, so this is hard to explain and more elaboration may be desired.

Simply put: Listenability and fatigue. With my current system and 51 year old ears, it took about 10 days to realize that the ClassD amp generated  fatigue.

I think most of the break-in curve had flattened out by this time, but in terms of sheer listenability and lack of fatigue, my 2000$ Musical Concept Monoblocks and 7000$ Clayton S100 (ouch!) cream the IR2092 based 250 W modules. In ways....there is more which I will expand upon if desired.

I know the word "Cream" is strong.

Still, perhaps contradictorily, I maintain that the ClassD product provides amazing quality/dollar.

I must, however, temper my quoted previous assessment.
Dave

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: ClassDAudio vs other amps re-assessment
« Reply #1101 on: 3 Apr 2010, 02:47 am »
On March 26 I wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
I am amending this partial conclusion.

Of all gear, I find amplifier assessment to be the most difficult, so this is hard to explain and more elaboration may be desired.

Simply put: Listenability and fatigue. With my current system and 51 year old ears, it took about 10 days to realize that the ClassD amp generated  fatigue.

I think most of the break-in curve had flattened out by this time, but in terms of sheer listenability and lack of fatigue, my 2000$ Musical Concept Monoblocks and 7000$ Clayton S100 (ouch!) cream the IR2092 based 250 W modules. In ways....there is more which I will expand upon if desired.

I know the word "Cream" is strong.

Still, perhaps contradictorily, I maintain that the ClassD product provides amazing quality/dollar.

I must, however, temper my quoted previous assessment.
Dave

At the cost difference you state I don't find this contradictory at all.
Also, I agree completely with your time needed to determine the listener fatigue factor. When ever I put a new piece in my system, with the possible exception of speakers, it usually takes a few weeks to assess its sound. It amazes me when someone listens to an amp for one or two listening sessions and can pass judgment.

Dave H

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1102 on: 3 Apr 2010, 03:11 am »
Timind,
What I'm dealing with is a very complex set of sensory and intellectual variables. I don't mean "intellectual" as in high IQ massively educated.

It's just that the trio are so close, yet there is an outlier that destroys the similarities.

Man...so hard to explain. I've got the perfect analysis on the tip of my brain but can't get it out tonight.

I must hear the SuperD. I confess to not following the thread and Tom's site for a few days.

Anyway, I'm glad you understand and didn't put a slug through my ears!
Dave

HT cOz

« Reply #1103 on: 3 Apr 2010, 03:31 pm »
If anything, I think it is a good sign just to be able to hang for weeks. It very well may be that the right tube preamp might soothe  of that fatigue.

steve k

« Reply #1104 on: 3 Apr 2010, 07:58 pm »
These are my final versions of the Super D SDS 224 and the SDS 258--the brother and sister. I'm using the adjustable gain pots on the 224 but I had Tom fix the gain on the 258 (bass) amp since I can control its volume at the active crossover. Not to gush but the sound is way beyond what I expected it to be shen I started this thread regardless of the little monetary investment. We've seen some really creative packaging along the way from kitchen drawers to alien vacuum cleaners.  :green: I suggest to Tom that he start a gallery on his site.

A friend brought a newly modded Museatex Bitstream DAC over last night (I have a stock version) and the soundstage was literally huge--going well beyond the outside of my speakers on either side. Sound was clean, soundstage deep and imaging was pinpoint-you could easily pick out where each player was playing on stage yet with a smooth, laid back analog sound. The synergy of everthing in my system was the best I've ever heard. So I'm on the journey of getting my Bitstream modded.

This has has really been a gas. Hope it continues to be fun to the newcomers too. Here's a few pics of the kids:

steve k :thumb:

pardales

« Reply #1105 on: 3 Apr 2010, 08:27 pm »
That is a thing of beauty. It would be really cool if you could provide more details on the build such as specifics on the case, external parts usage, etc.  At any rate - compliments!

Here is some additional info on this build:

The wood front panel is Leopardwood bought from this seller on ebay, http://myworld.ebay.com/sago901/

The chassis is from www.partsconnexion.com <http://www.partsconnexion.com/>  and it's a Hammond black powder coated steel 16 x 8 x 3 box and cover.  The black coating looks very durable.

The volume control is 25k stereo pot from Precision Electronics Components (PEC) bought from www.digi-key.com <http://www.digi-key.com/> .

It's just basic hook up inside.  I used shielded two wire cable for the input jacks to the volume control and to the amp board.  The shielded cable helps lesson the risk of any noise pickup.  The input jacks are isolated from the chassis and they are DH Labs brand (also from www.partsconnexion.com <http://www.partsconnexion.com/> ) , and used a grounded power cord with the ground tied to the chassis.  The on/off switch has a green neon indicator built in.  I think it's from www.mouser.com <http://www.mouser.com/>.

Nick77

« Reply #1106 on: 4 Apr 2010, 02:41 am »
Steve those look totally awesome! :eyebrows:

SuperD's all around? Sweet!  :thumb: :thumb:

standub

« Reply #1107 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:07 pm »
Just wanted to post that I ordered a CDA-2000 kit yesterday and had Tom set the gain to 26db.  Well I got an email back from him at 9 last night saying that the gain change will make the order take an extra day.....so he's upgrading the shipping!!!  Talk about costumer service.  :thumb:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1108 on: 6 Apr 2010, 05:22 pm »
I suggested to Tom that he start a gallery on his site.
steve k :thumb:

That's a great idea... I hope he does!

Mariusz

« Reply #1109 on: 6 Apr 2010, 08:34 pm »
Made this topic a sticky.
It will be easier to find and fallow.

Cheers
Mariusz :thumb:

guest1632

« Reply #1110 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:48 pm »
Hi all,

Was looking at getting the S254 kit with the heavier power supply. Now my question, was thinking about increasing the cap values in there. Would have Tom do that for me. Any idea of value size, or would my doing so not really make a difference?

Ray Bronk

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1111 on: 8 Apr 2010, 09:31 pm »
My cases are complete and ready for shipping.   

Please check out my gallery for pics and more info. 

Thanks for the patience!

pjchappy

« Reply #1112 on: 8 Apr 2010, 09:53 pm »
My cases are complete and ready for shipping.   

Please check out my gallery for pics and more info. 

Thanks for the patience!

Looks great.  Nice and clean.  You have my money!  Looking forward to getting this thing together.  Very cool it can fit all the combinations of amps.

Paul

Nick77

« Reply #1113 on: 8 Apr 2010, 09:54 pm »
Jason those cases look awesome  :drool:

What are your thoughts on the SuperD?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1114 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:20 pm »
Jason those cases look awesome  :drool:

What are your thoughts on the SuperD?

Between my full time job and all the other projects I've got going, I haven't assembled it yet.  I was waiting for a case!   :D  Maybe this weekend I'll get it together.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #1115 on: 8 Apr 2010, 11:15 pm »
jtwrace,

Re: Your new cases.

I owe you a ton of Carolina Blondes. A job well done my friend  :D. Did you use FPE for the engravings on the rear?

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1116 on: 8 Apr 2010, 11:52 pm »
jtwrace,

Re: Your new cases.

I owe you a ton of Carolina Blondes. A job well done my friend  :D. Did you use FPE for the engravings on the rear?

Anand.

Thank you!  Water with lemon is fine.   :)  I've never had a sip...No FPE.

:thumb:

steve k

« Reply #1117 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:00 am »
Very nice work! That's just what these amps need is a professional case to house them.
Cheers,
steve

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1118 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:00 am »
Very nice job on the case!

Do all of them have holes for the balanced inputs, or did you have some made for us single minded ended guys?  If not, then maybe on the next run.  :wink:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1119 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:01 am »
Very nice job on the case!

Do all of them have holes for the balanced inputs, or did you have some made for us single minded ended guys?  If not, then maybe on the next run.  :wink:

The cases have both (RCA & XLR).  Then I show the option to have 4 RCA's.  All the pics are in my gallery.

:thumb: