$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

ebag4

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #460 on: 24 Feb 2010, 02:52 am »
At idle the amp draws (125VAC):

.9 watts
.11 amps

This is with the amp on just no music playing.
Thanks Jason, much appreciated!

Best,
Ed

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #461 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:17 pm »
My first package arrived today from Class D Audio
with the snow coming I will not have much time till the weekend...............Bill

Gvt1911

« Reply #462 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:36 pm »
I have been lurking in the background on this subject for awhile now and would like to jump in on one unit...I would like to build a stereo unit with at least 200 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load...What do you guys recommend? :scratch: I would put unit in metal chassis with switch on front and RCA's and binding posts on rear panel...Any guidance would be appreciated...
TIA  :eyebrows:

shadowlight

« Reply #463 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:54 pm »
I have been lurking in the background on this subject for awhile now and would like to jump in on one unit...I would like to build a stereo unit with at least 200 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load...What do you guys recommend? :scratch: I would put unit in metal chassis with switch on front and RCA's and binding posts on rear panel...Any guidance would be appreciated...
TIA  :eyebrows:

Are we talking about bridged mono or straight stereo?  If straight stereo you can go with http://classdaudio.com/index.php/class-d-amplifier-kits/home-kits/250w-x-2-8-amplifier-power-supply-and-transformer.html but the kit does not handle 4ohm load.  You can go mono with the following kit http://classdaudio.com/index.php/class-d-amplifier-kits/home-kits/1000-watt-class-d-amplifier-kit.html.

shadowlight

« Reply #464 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:59 pm »
My first package arrived today from Class D Audio
with the snow coming I will not have much time till the weekend...............Bill

Time to take advantage of the bad weather and build the kit out :)

atroder

« Reply #465 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:09 pm »
shadowlight - what do you mean by "the kit does not handle 4ohm load"? The product description itself is a little confusing and perhaps contradictory in this area. It states "With the included components you can build a 1000W 8 Ohm stereo amplifier or 4 channel X 500W 4 Ohm or 4 X 250W 8 Ohm. ". Do you think the kit goes into protection mode at 4 ohms?

pumpkinman

« Reply #466 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:11 pm »
Time to take advantage of the bad weather and build the kit out :).
None of the other parts have arrived yet

steve k

« Reply #467 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:46 pm »
but the kit does not handle 4ohm load.

This is due to excessive heat in 4 ohms, not that the amp won't drive a 4 ohm load. Tom can modify the heat sink to dissipate the additional heat so it will run fine in 4 ohms. I just bought one.
steve

shadowlight

« Reply #468 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:54 pm »
shadowlight - what do you mean by "the kit does not handle 4ohm load"? The product description itself is a little confusing and perhaps contradictory in this area. It states "With the included components you can build a 1000W 8 Ohm stereo amplifier or 4 channel X 500W 4 Ohm or 4 X 250W 8 Ohm. ". Do you think the kit goes into protection mode at 4 ohms?

When I had put the order in I exchanged email messages with Tom about th 250x2 8ohm kit and here is what he had to say about it:

"The 250W X 2 into 8 ohm is $55.00 more. If you’re using it for anything other than 8 ohm, I really don’t recommend this kit. The one you ordered will run just about anything and is very stable. If you want to upgrade. Let me know and I’ll cancel the order you placed and you can e-place it.

Thanks,
Tom"

Since, than I believe he has designed a larger heatshink to help handle 4ohm loads, which is the one that SteveK mentioned as part of the comparision with Wryed for Sound amp earlier in the thread.  My suggestion is to reach out to Tom he has answer all my questions and has great customer service.

If the amp that I ordered works out in my current environment I plan to touch base with Tom to see if I can purchase the 250w x 2 8ohm kit with the upgraded heatsink in case in the future I end up with 4ohm load speakers.  My current speakers are 8ohm but would like to future proof my amp as much as possible.

Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Steve beat me to it and in shorter form to boot  :thumb:

atroder

« Reply #469 on: 24 Feb 2010, 11:02 pm »
OK - thanks for the info on the 250x2 8ohm kit. I'm thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on this one.

Nick77

« Reply #470 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:00 am »
Inspired by the Pumkin king i hit the depot and picked up a new faceplate. The bamboo i had didnt stain well at all so i swapped it out for poplar. I like it alot better as it matches the bookcase.  :eyebrows:

pjchappy

« Reply #471 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:09 am »
Nice! :drool:

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #472 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:09 am »
Inspired by the Pumkin king i hit the depot and picked up a new faceplate. The bamboo i had didnt stain well at all so i swapped it out for poplar. I like it alot better as it matches the bookcase.  :eyebrows:

Nick that looks GREAT !!!......Bill

steve k

« Reply #473 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:18 am »
Nice work NIck! I like the LED's :thumb: It's really cool to see some final results from you guys. I'm still butchering wood on my second one but it won't look any different than the first. Thankfully my buddy Mark is doing the cherry faceplate for me so you won's see any closeups of the rest of it.  :lol: Tom told me he's working on a new "Super D" class of amps now.  :o :eyebrows: Just what we need to hear right? There's always something new and better on the horizon.  :drool:

steve

Mariusz

« Reply #474 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:22 am »
Tom told me he's working on a new "Super D" class of amps now. 

Sounds sexy.  :lol:
I am in.  :drool:

Cheers
Mariusz

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #475 on: 25 Feb 2010, 02:34 am »
These are some great looking builds. I wonder how they sound. Maybe some of those who have completed their builds could comment on the sound in their systems. Maybe to compare them to other amps they have. That would be interesting.  :banana piano:

pumpkinman

« Reply #476 on: 25 Feb 2010, 02:48 am »
I'm still waiting on IEC,Binding posts and RCA's
This is as far as I could go Listening to Magical Mystery Tour and starting on my amp

(You know I couldn't wait)

Maybe next time mount the power supply in a different case something to think about.

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #477 on: 25 Feb 2010, 03:03 am »
'cause I'm thinking that we are going into this with little experience, or maybe knowledge, of how this thing sounds. I see lots of enthusiasm, myself included, but not lots of experience with the sound.

Maybe it is discussed elsewhere and I don't know it. What is the basis of our enthusiasm?   :scratch:

I know why I want one, but I would like to know more before I order the amp.

shadowlight

« Reply #478 on: 25 Feb 2010, 03:06 am »
I fired up the amp today and it was heating up again.  Sent a message to Tom and he asked to try couple of things, while checking those thing noticed something that I over looked.  The two brown 18v wires.  I had them capped together  :nono:.

Once I capped the brown wires under separate caps the tranny stayed cool.  Listened to it for 5 minutes with laptop directly hooked up to the amp.  Going to fix the wire that goes from iec power to tranny, which is about 2" short and feels stretched.  Once that is done will hook it up to the main speakers and have a listen.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2010, 01:06 am by shadowlight »

shadowlight

« Reply #479 on: 25 Feb 2010, 03:09 am »
'cause I'm thinking that we are going into this with little experience, or maybe knowledge, of how this thing sounds. I see lots of enthusiasm, myself included, but not lots of experience with the sound.

Maybe it is discussed elsewhere and I don't know it. What is the basis of our enthusiasm?   :scratch:

I know why I want one, but I would like to know more before I order the amp.

Take a look at some of the earlier messages posted by Steve (page1, 2, 19 (comp with wyred for sound)Nick (page 6), Jason and avionics (page 4).  They have the amps running and posted their feedback.  Both Steve and Jason have ordered multiple amp boards.  Jason has 600W based on TI chip and 500 watt based on IR chip. 

Couple of other things to think about.  Gary Dodd (page 8) mentioned earlier that he has been playing with one and plans something special around it and other is Blair (Niteshade) just released a amp based around classd board (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78167.0)