VTV Amplifier - Hypex and Purifi Amps

emailtim

VTV Amplifier - Hypex and Purifi Amps
« on: 23 Aug 2020, 01:40 am »
FWIW, I stumbled on this Ohio based amplifier company that is offering budget Hypex and Purify based stereo and monoblock amp builds (Ghent Audio cases with custom face plates).

It appears to be a vacuum tube company that has expanded its product offering into boxing digital amp boards.

https://vacuumtubevalues.com
https://vtvamplifier.com

They are offering the following digital amps:

- Hypex NC500, NC1200 and NC2K/NC2000
- Hypex NC122MP, NC252MP, NC500MP, NC502MP - (amp and SMPS on same board models)
- Hypex UcD2K/UcD2000
- Pascal ...
- Purifi 1ET400A

Previously, Hypex had minimum price fixing policies on their upper amp boards which kept the prices very high.  That policy has since lapsed. 

The Purifi 1ET400A is a new amp board recently released this year by the designer of the NCore amps.

Nord and Apollon across the pond offer Hypex and Purifi amps at reasonable prices.  VTV Amplifier is the first company I have found on this side of the pond to do similar.

They also offer a 30 day in home trial which makes them attractive on this side of the pond.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: VTV Amplifier - Hypex and Purifi Amps
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2020, 02:08 am »
nt

Anand.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2020, 04:31 pm by poseidonsvoice »

Davey

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2020, 01:52 am »
Tim,

I was poking around his website the other day and looked at the input buffer boards.
https://vacuumtubevalues.com/product/vtv-amplifier-custom-input-buffer-hypex-nc500-nc1200-nc2k/
Take a close look at the photograph of the buffer board.  The soldering workmanship is absolutely horrible.  Problems waiting to happen on every connection.

What is the deal with this guy and his assembly practices?

Dave.

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2020, 02:10 am »
I have their Purifi Amp and I sent Warren an email about your concerns.  I’ve been happy so far.

emailtim

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2020, 02:28 am »
Davey,

Do you have any pics of the back of the boards ?

FWIW, not all of his amps use those input buffer boards. 

I am considering the stereo NC1200 SMPS3k version, no aftermarket input buffer boards, no boutique opamps.

Tim

Tim,

I was poking around his website the other day and looked at the input buffer boards.
https://vacuumtubevalues.com/product/vtv-amplifier-custom-input-buffer-hypex-nc500-nc1200-nc2k/
Take a close look at the photograph of the buffer board.  The soldering workmanship is absolutely horrible.  Problems waiting to happen on every connection.

Dave.

Davey

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2020, 02:57 am »
The photo I attached is smaller, but if you go to his website and hover of the photograph with your mouse you can see the full image.
This is horrid workmanship.  Maybe it's a prototype and not representative of the final product, but if I were him I would take that photo down regardless.

At this point, I'm starting to agree with the fella on ASR that had the bad experience.  :)
I would certainly not purchase anything from VTV myself.

Dave.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2020, 12:00 pm »
Tim,

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for posting the link. I think I had seen that pic before but didn't realize that hovering my cursor over the picture would give me a blown up view.

It is indeed poor soldering on this board that accepts input buffer modules. I agree that VTV should be contacted to alert them of this. In any case, there are competitors to this including Neurochrome/Tom Christiansen's excellent custom input buffer module. Not only is that thing soldered in a 13 zone SMD oven, but each one is tested extensively and there are measurements to prove that it will never be an impediment to either the NC500 or Purifi1ET400A. That's what I like and want. That's what should be demanded by the public. Extreme sonic quality and extreme reliability guaranteed.

Best,
Anand.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2020, 12:57 pm »
Any more knowledge about Vacuum Tube Values ? While there web page was done be a Cleveland group, there is no information about them.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2020, 01:41 pm »
Any more knowledge about Vacuum Tube Values ? While there web page was done be a Cleveland group, there is no information about them.

They are based in Ohio, and that’s on their “Contact Us” webpage.

Best,
Anand.

emailtim

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2020, 01:57 pm »

Here is a link to their eBay store.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/wpc1896

- Based in United States, wpc1896 has been an eBay member since Feb 21, 1999
- 3,156 positive ratings, no  neutral, no negative in the last 12 months
- Overall ratings (20,474 star)

vtv

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2020, 02:01 pm »
Thank you for the comments on the VTV buffer.  A few things:
--all soldered connections are on the backside of the board (obverse of photo)
--each board is tested thoroughly
--the board has a track record of many sold both in new amplifier builds as an option and as a standalone board for enthusiasts looking to upgrade the stock buffer.  It is very reliable and I stand behind everything I sell.
--most customers report a significant improvement over the stock buffer.  This holds for every opamp selection. 
--I have added a two pin header and jumper so that user can adjust the gain without solder.
--I am in Lakewood OH, a suburb of Cleveland and am accessible by email or phone if you prefer.

Thanks!

vtv

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2020, 02:58 pm »
Also should mention that Sparkos regulators are have heat sinks installed as standard and not shown in photo.

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2020, 04:05 pm »
vtv,
Welcome to AudioCircle!

Please read the information about industry participants on AudioCircle:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=about;area=industry-participant

I have left your replies here because you are just answering questions and not advocating or actively selling your product, which is only allowed to happen in your own thread in the Industry Introductions Circle.

I invite you to create a thread for yourself there to answer further questions about your products and sell or whatever you want to do, within the guidelines in the link above.
Thanks!

Davey

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2020, 04:34 pm »
--all soldered connections are on the backside of the board (obverse of photo)
Obviously.
The solder connections are still poor.  Good plated-through holes should show good wetting on both sides with a proper soldering technique.  Some of the holes/connections are clearly contaminated and possibly cold.
I suspect one issue is you're using "audiophile" solder vice proper SN63 with decent RMA flux to make these connections.

Dave.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2020, 04:51 pm »
Obviously.
The solder connections are still poor.  Good plated-through holes should show good wetting on both sides with a proper soldering technique.  Some of the holes/connections are clearly contaminated and possibly cold.
I suspect one issue is you're using "audiophile" solder vice proper SN63 with decent RMA flux to make these connections.

Dave.

I would strongly recommend the use of flux for all the through holes, a temperature controlled soldering iron, adequate temperature (you should know the melting point of your chosen solder) and finally a thorough cleaning of said board. I agree with Dave, there are several cold soldering joints that I can see on that board and both sides of the board need to be addressed.

Sorry to sound obtuse! Not trying to be mean!

Best,
Anand.

vtv

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2020, 05:28 pm »
Appreciate the comments, that board is soldered with Mundorf lead free, rosin core.  It has a very dull look to it.  I have since switched to Indium and use flux and thoroughly wash the boards.  They appear much better.

CurtisIIX

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2020, 09:00 pm »
NASA wants 100% PTH fill. Other industries will consider less than 75% fill a defect only for Class 2 and Class 3 assembly.

I don't think you can properly evaluate the PTH fill from the posted image. AOI, in-circuit test, and/or X-ray will tell you if a defect exists.

Curtis

Bullandvodka

« Reply #17 on: 6 Oct 2020, 02:02 am »
I know I am new to the circle and don’t carry any weight, but I have a VTV stereo amp with the Purifi modules and the default hypex buffers.  Sounds great to me.  I don’t know what I’m missing with the optional buffers, but I’m happy.

Also, the build quality appears solid.  I know there were some issues in the past but I took the risk seeing how I couldn’t source all the parts with the current USD exchange rate for what a VTV could sell a completed amp.

Happy to share pics if anyone wants.