Beyerdynamics Headphone - Discussion

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Beyerdynamics Headphone - Discussion
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2019, 02:20 pm »
Does this mean they will sound better on vintage equipment!!

:D

Alex

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2019, 02:43 pm »
I purchased Custom Studios a couple years ago and I have only listened through them a couple of times. I bought them because my Sony headphones disappeared (somebody took 'em).

They were approx. $400 CDN, I didn't want to spend

more. Comparing to other brands at the store, on careful listen these seemed to have the clarity I wanted, though the differences are subtle. It has a switch to adjust the sound to 1 of 3 setting.

I plug them into mixer. Don't know if I need a headphone amp, they sound okay. Mainly listen through loudspeakers which is why I haven't used them more.

I bought a pair of these for my 12 year old daughter.  They are cool because you can customize them - the side panels on the cups can be changed out and the earpads & headband can be changed to different colors as well.  For her it's all-black and the side cup design is snakeskin.  Damn I love that girl :P 

toocool4

« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2019, 04:26 pm »
Be interesting to find out.....are your T70's the only Beyers you have?
Would you share your mod on these ?

I went through many iterations before i ended up at what i have now, when i get time i will list what i did.

Yes the T70 is the only Beyerdynamic headphones i have, if i was going to buy another one now it would be the Xelento Remote. If you want to know what my modified T70 sounds like, try the Xelento and it will give you a good idea.

FireGuy

« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2019, 04:51 pm »
My first Beyer was the DT880.  Still have it.  Comfort plus and enjoyed it for years.  Now use it for movies and TV when my stand mounts are not practical... very detailed in this application.  Love it.   Then came the T1.  Way more punch, detail and existence.  My go-to cans are the T1 as mentioned and Senn HD800.  The Senn presentation slightly more linear, some may say clinical whereas the T1 more relaxed, at ease.  When I want more of a "dark" sound it's the HiFiMAN HE-400.  Competes quite well with the others.  Have no plans to change any of these out.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2019, 10:22 pm »
Not wanting get off topic more than this, worth mention the HD700 use the same 30mm speaker than the 600/650 and may worth to collect for a German brand fan. An useful tweak is DIY a balaced cable to better sound:
https://www.mafaudio.com/products/connectors-switches/headphone-connectors/gold-plated-headphone-plug-for-upgrading-sennheiser-hd650hd600hd265hd525hd535-gdhp001-698.html

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2019, 11:07 pm »
Correct  me if I am wrong, but the HD700 is a Sennheiser headphone as well as the HD600 and HD650?

So how is this related to Beyer products?

Am I missing something here?

Think I need to start a Sennheiser discussion thread !!

Alex

Bemopti123

« Reply #26 on: 31 May 2019, 02:50 am »
Correct  me if I am wrong, but the HD700 is a Sennheiser headphone as well as the HD600 and HD650?

So how is this related to Beyer products?

Am I missing something here?

Think I need to start a Sennheiser discussion thread !!

Agreed, the only time that a Sennheiser should be mentioned is when comparing a model directly with a Beyer and we should refrain from adding other Sennheiser related things unless either modifications or experiences with a Senn model are directly related with a Beyer.  Otherwise, what is the point?

Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 31 May 2019, 05:48 am »
deleted.
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2019, 09:06 am by FullRangeMan »

Mag

« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2019, 07:55 am »
Decided to listen to music in the last two days with the Custom Studios thru Yamaha MG-10 mixer. Pre-amp Bryston SP2, Yamaha BD-a1060 usb stick digital player.

With a little tweaking of the tone controls, treble +2, Mids +3, bass +2, gain 12 o'clock, Line level 10 o'clock.
Initially I had the bass +3 and it seemed to be bottoming out with heavy bass songs by Black Sabbath. Also there seemed to be some reverb in recording that I hadn't previously noticed with loudspeakers.

So now with mixer adjusted for headphones I think the sound is pretty damn good. Highs are not too harsh, good mid-range and bass is good, not bottoming out. The soundfield is spacious, meaning without the headphones on my head, the sound rivals listening with my loudspeakers.

Had Stax headphones in early '80's that were very harsh. My friend lend me his Sennheiser's many years ago that revealed to me how good headphones could sound. My Sony's I thought were good. But I have to say what I'm hearing now beats every headphone I have owned. :smoke:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2019, 12:33 pm »
FullRangeMan,

I just created a Sennheiser Discussion thread...a good place for your information.  :D

The reason I mentioned this is it is good information and if its about Sennheisers it might not bee seen by people that own or have Senns.

I appreciate everyones information and opinions.

I posted this information in the new Sennheiser Discussion thread as well.

If you want to discuss further please PM me directly.

Thanks
Alex

audiobomber

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jun 2019, 04:32 pm »
In the past, I've owned: Koss Pro 4AA, Stax SR44 Electret, and Grado SR60. I sold the Koss, wore out the Stax and still have the SR60. I had only used headphones for times when I could not listen to my loudspeakers, but a year ago I decided to get into head-fi more intensively. I home auditioned: Beyerdynamic Amiron, Grado RS2e, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Monoprice Monolith M1060 & Hifiman HE-350. None quite convinced me, but I felt much more educated in what I wanted, which led me to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro.

The DT 1990 comes with a carrying case, coiled and straight cords, and two sets of ear pads. The pads provide a choice of significantly different tonal balances. Changing pads is painfully annoying, but having a choice is great. I've changed back and forth a few times, will not bother again because I much prefer the tonally accurate Analytical pads. The factory-installed Balanced pads provide a more V-shaped frequency response, with elevated bass and treble response, which some people prefer.

The ear pads are soft and comfortable, and roomy enough for my ears, which was not the case for all the headphones I tried. Clamping force is on the high side, about equal to the 6XX, much more clampy than the Amiron. Given a choice I would want slightly less grip, but I do prefer too much as opposed to too little.

The DT 1990 is a great all-rounder. Impedance is 250 ohms, but they are very sensitive at 102dB. My Samsung mobile phone drives them as loud as I would ever need to listen. Every genre of music sounds good even with very humble partnering gear, but of course sound quality goes up with a better DAC and especially amp.

They sound very good with my Magni 3 and Hafler HA15, as well as the Bottlehead Crack I had on loan for a couple of weeks, but the best match I've found is the Class A, single-ended, j-fet input, mosfet output, Schiit Asgard 2. The Asgard/DT 1990 combo brings out the best in each; warm, highly detailed, accurate FR, never fatiguing. I can listen for several hours at a time, and I do, almost daily. Awesome combo!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:24 pm »
Hey Audiobomber!

Nice choice in headphones, many folks really like the DT 1990's.

I came close to buying a set but bought the Senn HD600....mainly to hear how the Senn "house" sound would be.

Your post makes me want to hear a set of these cans!!

all the best
Alex

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jun 2019, 07:47 am »
I have a pair of perfect Beyerdynamic DT 1350s for sale, preferably in Canada. They probably are not broken in yet; I've played them so little.

Please see:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164400.new#new

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jun 2019, 05:22 pm »
I've finally heard a headphone that betters my Beyer T1s in every way, and by a substantial amount - the Meze Empyreans.  Those things are truly incredible.  And I suppose they'd better be for nearly $3k. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 22 Jun 2019, 12:24 pm »
Tyson,

Did you buy a pair? They indeed have several stellar reviews!

The delta between the T1's and them are $3000 - 700 = $2300.

Its almost like they are in differnt leagues....

Can you comment on the sound differences in some more detail?

Alex

Tyson

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jun 2019, 12:09 am »
Tyson,

Did you buy a pair? They indeed have several stellar reviews!

The delta between the T1's and them are $3000 - 700 = $2300.

Its almost like they are in differnt leagues....

Can you comment on the sound differences in some more detail?

Alex

Beyer T1s are $1200 MSRP I believe, and the Meze's are $2800 MSRP so more than twice the price.  And the Meze's are so new that you can't find them used or even priced down so there's almost no deals on them.

I did not buy them my buddy Jason (Pez) did.  He brought them over and we did a little shootout between the Meze's, the T1s, the HD800, HD800S, and the Klipsch HP3s. 

Sound wise?  If you combine the best qualities of each of those headphones, you get the level of the Meze Empyrean.  The overall musicality and tonal beauty of the T1s, the soundstaging and x-ray detail of the 800 and 800S, the dynamics of the HP3 and that gets you close to the Empyrean.  But the Meze's do one other thing that none of the others could match.  It let you really hear the humanity, physicality and musical logic in a way that I've never heard before on a headphone. 

Thanks to CanJam coming to RMAF every year, I've also heard all the other top of the line headphones from all the other major players, and honestly none of them are even close.  The Meze Empyreans are in a class by themselves.