Horn Loudspeakers - Advantages and Opportunities

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
Re: Horn Loudspeakers - Advantages and Opportunities
« Reply #200 on: 5 Apr 2010, 04:38 am »
Thanks, fellas.  If I hear you right, it depends on the execution but there is a potential for this.  Supposed to get a listen to Duke's six piece system pretty soon now.  And from a cat who sold his big Sound Labs.  I'm thinkin Duke's system has wider dynamic range than the SL's.  It's the what else I hope to experience, also.  Get to bring some of my own records.  Trust me, I'm excited.

Execution is everything.  Duke should have some good things to show.  I hope you guys actually have some SACDs to play.  Records are great, but lack the dynamics of digital.  I've heard some nice TT rigs, but none that could do dynamics like digital.  Without getting too subjective, SACD seems to have the best of both worlds.  I don't know much about the technical aspects of these things, but I know I really enjoy the SACDs I have.  That may have much to do with mastering, but it works for me.

Enjoy!

Dan

jimdgoulding

« Reply #201 on: 5 Apr 2010, 05:40 am »
Danny boy- Judging from your avatar, you are a young man.  A blessed young man.  Would I be rude in asking if you have a "nice TT rig"?  Further, are you referring to mistracking or analog in general?  No worries, I will bring an album or two that will challenge the structure of his foundation, let alone a system, if it doesn't fly out of the groove.  Of course, I'm kidding, er, to a point.  Next time you're in the Houston area, how about givin me a call?  Cheers.

BTW, I'm grateful for your reply.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #202 on: 6 Apr 2010, 05:10 am »
No, not so young, but thank you.  Of course that's a relative term.

My TT is not so great.  Quite modest.  I'm not talking about mistracking or anything, just that I haven't heard a TT that could do dynamics as well as a modest digital rig.  Really though the recording (and pressing in the case of records) has more to do with it than anything from what I've heard.  I'm definitely not saying analog cannot be great in all aspects of reproduction--it has advantages and disadvantages.

If I'm ever in Houston, I'll look you up.  You can feel free to do the same if you ever get to the bay area.  You might be surprised at what a modest TT can do through a cheap set of speakers. :thumb:  Of course even internet radio can sound darned good.

Let us know how it goes at AudioKinesis.

Dan

jimdgoulding

« Reply #203 on: 6 Apr 2010, 05:21 am »
Thanks for your reply, Dan, and invitation.  I'm tryin to get my wife to let me venture solo (I gotta a free ticket but only one) to SF, my old stompin grounds.  That happens, I will.  Gotta get down to Big Sur, too.  I'll be hearing the AK system right down the road from me, actually.  Duke knows that cat.  Dude has a top of the line SOTA table.  Think I'll send him a reminder.  And, sure, I'll report back.  Cheers   

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #204 on: 6 Apr 2010, 07:40 pm »
Oh, don't get me started on this beautiful coastline out here!  Can't seem to get enough of it.  Next I'm going to build a compact beach blaster w/ solar assist.  I've got much of that worked out already.  Making it saltwater and sand-proof while retaining fidelity and compactness is the challenge I can't get beyond.   :lol:  Something's got to give.  Must finish speakers.  Must finish speakers.............

Dan :D

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #205 on: 10 Apr 2010, 01:26 pm »
I just won an auction for an XTA DP224 speaker management system. It is intended to replace my dbx Drive Rack PA. The Drive Rack has worked out pretty well but it is an entry level piece like the Behringer, although I hear it is much better built.
From what I've been able to learn, XTA is the best stuff out there but I find that there aren't many people who are both familiar with esoteric pro gear and sensitive to home hi-fi, audiophile issues. There is some help to be had on the Lansing Heritage website, but I come away from there unsure about the communication of peers. Are they looking for the same things I am?
Does anyone here have any experience with XTA? Can you provide any advice, cautions or operational info? Suggestions?

I am bi-amping a two-way active system with horns on top and a 15 inch woofer on the bottom, crossed over at 300 hz.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #206 on: 15 Apr 2010, 05:35 am »
Thanks for your reply, Dan, and invitation.  I'm tryin to get my wife to let me venture solo (I gotta a free ticket but only one) to SF, my old stompin grounds.  That happens, I will.  Gotta get down to Big Sur, too.  I'll be hearing the AK system right down the road from me, actually.  Duke knows that cat.  Dude has a top of the line SOTA table.  Think I'll send him a reminder.  And, sure, I'll report back.  Cheers

Any update here?  What did you think?

Here's some updates on my speaker:

The 600Hz bump is a boundary effect.  I'm trying to fix my measuring space, but it's proving difficult.
Here's the old graph for side by side:

What I'm learning is that making a CD crossover is very difficult.  It seems no matter what you do in one axis, it negatively effects the other.  Anyone have any experience with this stuff?  Insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

nullspace

« Reply #207 on: 15 Apr 2010, 11:53 am »
I have a little bit of experience, Dan. I built an OB speaker using ToneTubby 12" drivers and the Beyma CP380M on a narrow-coverage conical horn.

And as you say, they're quite a bit of work and devolves into a balancing act. Also, too often I think DIYers pay too much homage to simplicity -- this stuff is complex. Here is my crossover. For me, measurments got me very close then the last bit of tweaking was done by ear -- say, comparing 3.7, 4.0, and 4.3 ohm series resistor in the LPad/ CD compensation. Also, I spent much more time worrying about the power response than any one or several curves -- I use SpeakerWorkshop to simulate, and I'd export all the freq response curves, and then average them using Excel to get an approximation of the shape of the power response. In your curves one thing I'd think needs addressing is the widening in response at ~2.2khz -- you definitely have a S-shaped bump in power response there.

Also, what kind of amp are you using with these? A high-dampening SS amp will lead to a freq. response very closely approximated by your curves below. A 2- to 3-ohm output impedance no-feedback DHT amp will tend to not match your simulated response depending on the impedance of the speaker, unless you account for that. Any idea what the impedance curve for your speaker project looks like?

Could you post more data then just the final curves?

John

BTW, here's what the reponse for my speakers look like (0- to 35-deg off-axis in 5-deg increments):

JoshK

« Reply #208 on: 15 Apr 2010, 01:01 pm »
About doing xo/eq for constant directivity speakers....

I am thinking out loud here.  However, what I've thought might work, but haven't tried is doing the -30º to +30º measurements in 7.5º steps as Geddes does.  Then take a weighted average of the resulting curves--weights depend on power response, i.e the 0º curve gets the least weight.  This average curve then becomes your raw response curve that you use to design your crossover around.  Therefore, you are not correcting one curve but the amalgamation of them all.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #209 on: 15 Apr 2010, 01:22 pm »
I have a little bit of experience, Dan. I built an OB speaker using ToneTubby 12" drivers and the Beyma CP380M on a narrow-coverage conical horn.

And as you say, they're quite a bit of work and devolves into a balancing act. Also, too often I think DIYers pay too much homage to simplicity -- this stuff is complex. Here is my crossover. For me, measurments got me very close then the last bit of tweaking was done by ear -- say, comparing 3.7, 4.0, and 4.3 ohm series resistor in the LPad/ CD compensation. Also, I spent much more time worrying about the power response than any one or several curves -- I use SpeakerWorkshop to simulate, and I'd export all the freq response curves, and then average them using Excel to get an approximation of the shape of the power response. In your curves one thing I'd think needs addressing is the widening in response at ~2.2khz -- you definitely have a S-shaped bump in power response there.

Also, what kind of amp are you using with these? A high-dampening SS amp will lead to a freq. response very closely approximated by your curves below. A 2- to 3-ohm output impedance no-feedback DHT amp will tend to not match your simulated response depending on the impedance of the speaker, unless you account for that. Any idea what the impedance curve for your speaker project looks like?

Could you post more data then just the final curves?

John

BTW, here's what the reponse for my speakers look like (0- to 35-deg off-axis in 5-deg increments):

Thanks Nullspace, I'll get back to you on this as I have to go to work, but I'll be using a high damping SS amp.
About doing xo/eq for constant directivity speakers....

I am thinking out loud here.  However, what I've thought might work, but haven't tried is doing the -30º to +30º measurements in 7.5º steps as Geddes does.  Then take a weighted average of the resulting curves--weights depend on power response, i.e the 0º curve gets the least weight.  This average curve then becomes your raw response curve that you use to design your crossover around.  Therefore, you are not correcting one curve but the amalgamation of them all.

Geddes measures 0-90 degrees in 7.5 degree steps(as far as I remember).  Mine is 11.25 degrees to 90 degrees in 11.25 degree steps.  I can only get 8 graphs overlaid on one picture.

I'll get back in a couple days(crazy work schedule).

Dan

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #210 on: 16 Apr 2010, 06:10 am »
OK Nullspace.  Thank again for the response.  This stuff is not simple.  Your response definitely looks great!  I'd love to see what it looks like further off axis.  My first purple line is 33.75 degrees off axis.  The listening window starts there for me.  The first purple, yellow and blue line would be my listening window.  Anyway, there is too much energy around 2kHz.

Josh, thanks for the ideas with the crossover.  I like your way of thinking.  I'm not sure, but are you saying that's how Dr. Geddes does it?  I've heard him say he tries to match it over 60 degrees, but didn't guess as to the specifics of how, but your way seems reasonable.
Measuring distance is another thing.  The further away, the better your crossover integration looks.  Measuring one driver at a time seems less variable by distance.  I've got to do some work on that.  Any thoughts?

Back to Nullspace,
I measured those on the amp I'll be using--it is SS.  I do have some tube amps as well, but these speakers are not intended for those.  Too many projects.  I've decided that these are worth seeing through to the end at this point.  I really need to get them in a final cabinet.  That should be my next part I believe.  While I'm building that, I'd like to do some shopping for simulation software and well as a method for impedance measuring.  That's what really holding my design back right now.  Any recommendations for the impedance measuring rig?  I know I can make a device to do it with REW, but it won't give me the details I need.  As far as modeling goes, will speaker workshop model many axis simultaneously?  Do you think I'm correct about building the box next while I shop around?

OK, I gotta sleep.  Another 16hrs of work tomorrow.
Thanks!

Dan

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #211 on: 16 Apr 2010, 06:20 am »
Oh, one more thing: Josh, how would you propose the weighting specifically?  By percent?

Thanks,

Dan

nullspace

« Reply #212 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:57 am »
Hey Dan,

Unfortunately, I was unable to get decent measurements further off-axis. Not such a big deal for me, as the compression driver is on a nominally 60deg conical horns.

I did something similar to what Josh suggested. I exported a text file for each simulated freq. response -- eight in all, 0- to 35-deg off-axis -- imported them into Excel and did a simple average, without any weighting. My rationale on the weighting is that each one is equally important.

I suspect that that is NOT how Earl does it; he's smart enough that he probably has a script in his software that calculates the actual power response from the individual curves. Simply averaging the curves would only give you an idea of how the power changes as you move along the x-axis (freq. response), which I think is good enough at this point in the design process. I mean, by now, you would have fixed big-ticket issues, like relative levels between mid and treble and you're looking to develop refinement in the design. At that point, I think the focus is less on what the power response is specifically and more on how it changes relatively; i.e., no sudden changes or 'bumps'. So, for me, the simple averaging works here.

With SS amps, the resulting impedance is mostly a non-issue. It's important for me as I'm pretty tied to using amps with 2-3ohms of output impedance AND would like to option of feeling comfortable with the resulting freq. response if someone where to ever bring over a very low output impedance amp.

I use SpeakerWorkshop for simulating crossovers. I think it'll do a couple axis simultaneously, but it won't do more than that. I ended up creating eight drivers each for both TT12 and CP380m -- one for every axial response -- and coming up with eight networks (obviously, all identical), simulating all eight networks, and then combining all the data onto one graph. It's a pain -- as you make changes, you have to make the changes in eight places and simulate eight different networks -- but it works.

I use the ARTA suite for measurment, both freq. response and impedance. I built a couple of simplified jigs instead of just one a la Wallin or the one described on the ARTA website.

Definitely get them into a cabinet. If your posted measurments are sans a box, you'll want to re-run them once the drivers are boxed up so as to capture any diffraction effects.

I hope that helps,
John

JoshK

« Reply #213 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:28 pm »
I don't know exactly what Geddes does, but I suspect it is something like what I suggested.  He has eluded to some of what he does that is why I know he weights the on axis less. 

The weights, the way I think of it, are pretty simple, but not a simple average.  Let's assume you make 8 measurements from 0º to 35º.  Think of it as slices of a pie where your measurement axis is down the middle of the slice, not the edge.   That is, take for example the 5º measurement (0 to 35 in 8 measurements is 5º increments).  The 5º measurement is the center of the slice of pie from 2.5º to 7.5º (easy to see if you draw it).  The 0º slice goes from -2.5º to 2.5º.   The 5º slice has a mirrored slice at -5º, 10º has a mirror at -10º, etc.  The only slice that doesn't have a mirror image is the 0º slice. 

Let's assume all the mirror image responses are the same as their counterparts (reasonable thing to assume since the speaker is symmetric.  So you don't have to measure -30º to -5º.  Now when you average, you need to give 0º half the weight of the other lines if you are basing on the power response.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #214 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:26 am »
Hey Dan,

Unfortunately, I was unable to get decent measurements further off-axis. Not such a big deal for me, as the compression driver is on a nominally 60deg conical horns.

I did something similar to what Josh suggested. I exported a text file for each simulated freq. response -- eight in all, 0- to 35-deg off-axis -- imported them into Excel and did a simple average, without any weighting. My rationale on the weighting is that each one is equally important.

I suspect that that is NOT how Earl does it; he's smart enough that he probably has a script in his software that calculates the actual power response from the individual curves. Simply averaging the curves would only give you an idea of how the power changes as you move along the x-axis (freq. response), which I think is good enough at this point in the design process. I mean, by now, you would have fixed big-ticket issues, like relative levels between mid and treble and you're looking to develop refinement in the design. At that point, I think the focus is less on what the power response is specifically and more on how it changes relatively; i.e., no sudden changes or 'bumps'. So, for me, the simple averaging works here.

With SS amps, the resulting impedance is mostly a non-issue. It's important for me as I'm pretty tied to using amps with 2-3ohms of output impedance AND would like to option of feeling comfortable with the resulting freq. response if someone where to ever bring over a very low output impedance amp.

I use SpeakerWorkshop for simulating crossovers. I think it'll do a couple axis simultaneously, but it won't do more than that. I ended up creating eight drivers each for both TT12 and CP380m -- one for every axial response -- and coming up with eight networks (obviously, all identical), simulating all eight networks, and then combining all the data onto one graph. It's a pain -- as you make changes, you have to make the changes in eight places and simulate eight different networks -- but it works.

I use the ARTA suite for measurment, both freq. response and impedance. I built a couple of simplified jigs instead of just one a la Wallin or the one described on the ARTA website.

Definitely get them into a cabinet. If your posted measurments are sans a box, you'll want to re-run them once the drivers are boxed up so as to capture any diffraction effects.

I hope that helps,
John

John, that is a huge help!  Much appreciated.  You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the design would you?

Thanks a million! :thumb:

Dan

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #215 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:29 am »
I don't know exactly what Geddes does, but I suspect it is something like what I suggested.  He has eluded to some of what he does that is why I know he weights the on axis less. 

The weights, the way I think of it, are pretty simple, but not a simple average.  Let's assume you make 8 measurements from 0º to 35º.  Think of it as slices of a pie where your measurement axis is down the middle of the slice, not the edge.   That is, take for example the 5º measurement (0 to 35 in 8 measurements is 5º increments).  The 5º measurement is the center of the slice of pie from 2.5º to 7.5º (easy to see if you draw it).  The 0º slice goes from -2.5º to 2.5º.   The 5º slice has a mirrored slice at -5º, 10º has a mirror at -10º, etc.  The only slice that doesn't have a mirror image is the 0º slice. 

Let's assume all the mirror image responses are the same as their counterparts (reasonable thing to assume since the speaker is symmetric.  So you don't have to measure -30º to -5º.  Now when you average, you need to give 0º half the weight of the other lines if you are basing on the power response.

That's certainly an interesting option as well.  I need to get a piece of software designed to do what I need.

Thanks Josh!

Dan

nullspace

« Reply #216 on: 17 Apr 2010, 03:39 pm »
Josh, good point on the weighting; I'll likely adopt that for my next project.

Here's what I'm listening to currently, Dan. I'm pretty happy with it, but have reached  an evolutionary dead-end I think. A new loudspeaker venture starts next week: Altec 802-8D on the conicals plus GPA-reissued 414-8B in, gasp, a ported box. I'll be tossed from the Open Baffle Club for sure...

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #217 on: 17 Apr 2010, 07:08 pm »
I thought that was the one from your gallery.  I used to use OBs as well and still like the idea.  Can I ask why your thinking of changing and going back to the box? 

I'm still considering using a ported box in this design.  I'll need 3 cuft for a 50Hz cutoff vs. a 1 cuft for 120Hz cutoff in a sealed box.  120Hz is high!  and may make integrating subs too difficult.  I know Dr. Geddes says the sealed will still work better, but the idea makes me nervous.  So far though, nothing he's told me has been wrong.  That's a track record hard to deny.  Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks again,

Dan

nullspace

« Reply #218 on: 17 Apr 2010, 09:06 pm »
No bass under 50hz. I could just add one of the GR Research servo subs, but the OBs are 39"H x 36"W and I'm quickly running out of space in the room.

It's tough to argue with Earl's success, and I don't have any experience with one appraoch versus the either. I've been on a kick lately of trying to simplify my setup and do without subwoofers, which is why I tried the big OB and am now working on a ported box.

John

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #219 on: 18 Apr 2010, 12:45 am »
Your complaining about no bass under 50Hz!  :o  I've got bass down to 60Hz d/t the bass boost on my amp.  W/o it, I'm dropping like a stone at 100Hz!  :oops: I've got to get subs going or I need a big ported box.  I'm darned sure that the multi sub will work better, but I do like simplicity.

Did some more crossover work today.  I think I found my best compromise until I get the box built.

Still not perfect, but doesn't sound like it is in need of work to my ears.  I may give it 1/2 to 1 dB more treble.  If you wouldn't mind letting me know what you see in this that needs worked on, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks for all your help Null!  I wouldn't have got here w/o it.

Dan