BDA-3 DAC

gbaby

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #780 on: 22 Jul 2017, 03:38 pm »
I connected my blu-ray player to the BDA-3 by HDMI and connect the HDMI from the BDA-3 to an HDMI input on the SP3. When I tried to pass through the signal on the SP3 I got a noise. What am I doing wrong?

witchdoctor

« Reply #781 on: 22 Jul 2017, 03:42 pm »
Try the RCA or XLR connection from the BDA-3 instead of the HDMI  to your processor and see what happens.

See page 5 in the manual:

http://bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDA3_MANUAL.pdf

Hoiman

« Reply #782 on: 23 Jul 2017, 07:27 am »
Try the RCA or XLR connection from the BDA-3 instead of the HDMI
But what if he wants to put only video throu?

I connected my blu-ray player to the BDA-3 by HDMI and connect the HDMI from the BDA-3 to an HDMI input on the SP3. When I tried to pass through the signal on the SP3 I got a noise. What am I doing wrong?
What is it that you want to do with this connection? Video or sound?

gbaby

« Reply #783 on: 24 Jul 2017, 01:53 pm »
Try the RCA or XLR connection from the BDA-3 instead of the HDMI  to your processor and see what happens.

See page 5 in the manual:

http://bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDA3_MANUAL.pdf

Thank you.

Bones13

« Reply #784 on: 24 Jul 2017, 11:49 pm »
BTW - the product page for the BDA-3 states that 4K video is passed through.

gbaby

« Reply #785 on: 29 Jul 2017, 09:48 pm »
I guess this means you cannot pass through 7.1 True Dolby HD or DTA-MA. :o

Silverbullet

« Reply #786 on: 30 Jul 2017, 12:21 am »
As I read it, all audio will pass through if the BDA is set to a non-HDMI input. If the BDA is set to an HDMI input obviously you want sound into a HiFi system not a surround system, but it still passes through the video so you can see a picture and listen to stereo.

gbaby

« Reply #787 on: 31 Jul 2017, 02:10 pm »
As I read it, all audio will pass through if the BDA is set to a non-HDMI input. If the BDA is set to an HDMI input obviously you want sound into a HiFi system not a surround system, but it still passes through the video so you can see a picture and listen to stereo.

But only HDMI can play the HD codecs.

Marius

« Reply #788 on: 31 Jul 2017, 03:00 pm »
But only HDMI can play the HD codecs.

it should pass 4K video, but will it also pass the -new- UHD signal, cant seem to find info on that? With the ever changing video codes, the HDMI passthrough on the BDA3 will need to be future proof somehow. Maybe through software upgrades?
Where can we find the specs on that?

on the Bryston site it states the BDA3 accepts SACD input via HDMI, but I don't understand why that would be any better than the SACD input the BDA1 accepts via SPDIF... :scratch: BDA1 decodes the 88 signal just fine?

Marius

audio.bill

« Reply #789 on: 31 Jul 2017, 03:29 pm »
on the Bryston site it states the BDA3 accepts SACD input via HDMI, but I don't understand why that would be any better than the SACD input the BDA1 accepts via SPDIF... :scratch: BDA1 decodes the 88 signal just fine?
SPDIF connection would provide a PCM signal as you indicated, but when connected via HDMI to a suitable SACD player the BDA-3 will receive and decode the DSD bitstream from an SACD.

Marius

« Reply #790 on: 31 Jul 2017, 03:43 pm »
SPDIF connection would provide a PCM signal as you indicated, but when connected via HDMI to a suitable SACD player the BDA-3 will receive and decode the DSD bitstream from an SACD.

Ok, that's cool, didn't realize that before. Thanks.

Cheers,
Marius

soundmax

« Reply #791 on: 1 Aug 2017, 05:41 pm »
Hi James,

I was wondering if you could send me a personal message here on this site (or email me) the latest available firmware for the BDA-3.
Is it possible ?
Thanks for your help!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #792 on: 1 Aug 2017, 06:24 pm »
Hi James,

I was wondering if you could send me a personal message here on this site (or email me) the latest available firmware for the BDA-3.
Is it possible ?
Thanks for your help!

Hi

The BDA-3 software has not changed as far as I know.

james

soundmax

« Reply #793 on: 1 Aug 2017, 07:53 pm »
I have the u2016.04c.

On  8 Apr 2016, 04:01 pm you wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have a new version of the BDA-3 software.
Email me if you want to give it a try.
jamestanner@bryston.com

james

That's why I contacted you....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #794 on: 1 Aug 2017, 11:15 pm »
I have the u2016.04c.

On  8 Apr 2016, 04:01 pm you wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have a new version of the BDA-3 software.
Email me if you want to give it a try.
jamestanner@bryston.com

james

That's why I contacted you....

OOPS - brain fade - email Mike he will know - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Marius

« Reply #795 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:11 am »

Please let me get back on this just to be sure:

I've set the outputs on the sacd to pcm, and depending on the audio on the sacd, the highest i will get is 88.1/24? If I set it to bitstream, I will get the dsd format, and the resolution would depend on what's recorded.

Where I thought to have to buy a new player, was thinking of the Oppo 205, I would in fact need a new dac which can decode all those formats? Only thing my current BDA1 decodes is the PCM stream, which is limited per SACD design. Would i be able to play the Bitstream/dsd signal, i would be enjoying the max possibility of these discs?

Of course the Oppo gives me an updated DAC too, and does it all in one machine, which can be connected to the BP26 :-) Which would lead to another problem: need more balanced inputs on the BP26. Cd, and Dac are connected now, so no spare inputs left.

If id hook it up earlier in the chain, id choose the AES-EBU route to the DAC. Which the Oppo hasn't got...

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #796 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:16 am »
James,

Could you comment on the passthrough spec of the BDA3 please? Ans future upgrading of the HDMI passthrough? (if at all necessary of course)
Thanks,
Marius

it should pass 4K video, but will it also pass the -new- UHD signal, cant seem to find info on that? With the ever changing video codes, the HDMI passthrough on the BDA3 will need to be future proof somehow. Maybe through software upgrades?
Where can we find the specs on that?

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #797 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:48 am »
James,

Could you comment on the passthrough spec of the BDA3 please? Ans future upgrading of the HDMI passthrough? (if at all necessary of course)
Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius

No plans for changing the HDMI passthrough on the BDA3

james

Marius

« Reply #798 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:51 am »
Hi Marius

No plans for changing the HDMI passthrough on the BDA3

james

But will it pass the UHD signal? And how will you futureproof the passthrough? Would that be done through software upgrades? Or, put differently, is the BDA3 hardware designed with more headroom than strictly currently needed. Id hate to buy a state of the art dac, which is 'lagging' very soon because of the speed the HDMI is developing.

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #799 on: 3 Aug 2017, 11:42 am »

But will it pass the UHD signal? And how will you futureproof the passthrough? Would that be done through software upgrades? Or, put differently, is the BDA3 hardware designed with more headroom than strictly currently needed. Id hate to buy a state of the art dac, which is 'lagging' very soon because of the speed the HDMI is developing.

Marius

Hi

The HDMI board would have to change - so it would be hardware and software. It is a modular design.

James
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2017, 01:01 pm by James Tanner »