Too much anti skate damaging my carts...

sHERO

Too much anti skate damaging my carts...
« on: 4 Apr 2021, 10:55 pm »
Regards all.

I have a Well Tempered turntable, square motor, and even with the antiskate adjustment to minimum (the arms close together), the cantilever of 2 cartridges have become askewed as if there is too much antiskate force. One Dynavector XX2 and on Transfiguration which I already sent in for repair and is again having the same problem....   :cry:

Any idea on what might be causing such and how to fix it?

my arm has the white plastic disk submerged in the silicone. the position of the disk can be adjusted so that the filament attaching point are perpendicular to the arm length or on a different position....  where should it ideally be set?

Thanks..

RPM123

Re: Too much anti skate damaging my carts...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2021, 11:30 pm »
Unclear from your description. Can you attach photos of your set up? Perhaps too much silicone?

sHERO

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2021, 03:02 am »
thanks for your response.

attached a picture of an arm like mine.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2021, 03:36 am »
Hey!

This doesn't sound right. If the anti skating is way too high the cart would not track right.

Looking straight at the cart, does the cantilever bent toward the center of the record? I only noticed this once with an old turntable with auto return, the cantilever bent to the left toward the center of the record. I thought it was due to the way of the auto return lift up the cart and pull it out to return it to the side after many times.

A picture of the cart from the front would be more helpful.

Buddy

sHERO

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2021, 03:51 am »

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2021, 04:11 am »
Hey!

So, it looks like it pull toward the center. I think your arm's movement is too restricted. I would check the viscosity of the silicone and how much you submerge the disc.

With the cantilever like that the channel balance would be off for sure. Anyway, hope someone with more experience with that particular arm would jump in to help here.

Buddy

sHERO

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2021, 04:16 am »
Thanks for the response.

I was just thinking the same, maybe the arm movement is too restricted when compared to the horizontal movement required when playing the record...

RPM123

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2021, 11:25 pm »
Looks like an older arm version. Try removing some silicone and/or get some newer silicone. Also, have you checked tracking force? Does your arm run freely when in the record run out groove? You also may want to try contacting the company and ask for advice. Good luck!

sebrof

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2021, 12:02 am »
Table is perfectly level?

sHERO

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2021, 03:24 am »
Yes its the original type of arm....

The table is leveled, the cartridges are setup with proper tracking force using a digital scale and I have not noticed any problem when the cart is traversing in the runout groove.

The silicone is of the correct consistency, that is why the idea that maybe the lower paddle might need to be submerged in less silicone so that there might be less resistance to horizontal movement seems to me as a possible cause.

I sent a message to Mike Pranka, but have not received a response yet.

I have digital copies of the  tonearm setup instructions, I will read them again, maybe there is some helpful info there.

gagamut

« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2021, 03:43 am »
Want to know you how to determine the antiskate is right?

Sam

sHERO

« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2021, 03:27 pm »
Yes I would.... :D

sHERO

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2023, 04:41 pm »
Updating the situation.

AS I indicated in another post, the amwas slightly misleveled towards the back left, which might have also increased the forced towards the sindle.  I fixed that sading down a protrution around the base hole where the main bearing sits. Also I changed the arms silicone which seemed to restrict the horizontal movement and replaced it with STP which is about 50 sct and has been recomended for decades for this arm.

Now it seems to be moving without problems.  I installed an Audio Tecnica VM95-ML to test if the problem persists, before fixing my Dynavector and Sumiko sHO ( Build by Transfiguration) and reinstalling either of them on the arm.

VinceT

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2023, 04:58 pm »
One would think the stylus would not track in the record grooves and pop out before ever bending the cantilever, and this happened on several carts.

There could also be some excessive downward force on the cantilever as well.

sHERO

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2023, 12:15 am »
It seems as strange to me as does to you, but, it happened.

The tracking force was set using a quality digital scale at the midle of the carts parameters.....