Panel selection sidewalls front

Mike-48

Panel selection sidewalls front
« on: 22 Mar 2021, 12:08 am »
 I'm considering a few minor changes in my room & would appreciate advice from GIK and others knowledgeable. As background, my taste is for a room on the dead side. I don't mean completely dead -- I've don't like that, but I prefer to suppress the local venue and emphasize the recorded venue.

In the photo, there are three panels on each sidewall between listener and soffit traps. The front two are 2" ASC panels (in service for 15 yrs), and those closest to the listener are Vicoustic "skyline" EPS diffusers. (You can just see one on the right of the photo.)

I am considering replacing the frontmost panels with something thicker: 244, A6, or Monster panels. Then the diffusers would be placed towards the back of the room, the space being filled by the freed ASC panels. The objective is even better bass control.

I also wonder about adding ceiling treatment between speakers and user. This is complicated by the 7-foot ceiling, and my desire not to create a hazard to tall visitors, nor a visual reminder that the ceiling is low. The speakers are directional and don't send a lot of energy towards the ceiling. (There already is ceiling treatment in the back of the room.)

Question 1: What product to use on the sidewalls?
Question 2: Does GIK make anything thin that would work on the ceiling? I don't want to suspend a 244 on cloud brackets, for the reasons given earlier.

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
Re: Panel selection sidewalls front
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2021, 01:50 pm »
I agree, absorption, as thick as possible, is my go-to for reflection points (or more generally the areas between the seats and the speakers).

For the ceiling, you don't have to use the cloud brackets, you can flush mount the panels in a variety of ways. I'd go 244s if you can tolerate 5.5" thickness, or 3.5" 242s, or 2" Spot Panels, in that order. Use the thickest ones you can tolerate.

bernardo

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2021, 03:32 pm »
How did you come up with the arrangement of panels between the soffit traps installed on the wall behind the speakers? Your design or GIK recommendation?

Just wondering the reason for 3 different product types in that location.

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2021, 07:04 pm »
Thanks, @JWL!

How did you come up with the arrangement of panels between the soffit traps installed on the wall behind the speakers? Your design or GIK recommendation? Just wondering the reason for 3 different product types in that location.

I started with the front wall bare but was bothered by a little glare on treble, though the speakers don't send a lot of sound that way. So I added the three 2x4 panels of quadratic diffusers, and the results were good. I had never used quadratic diffusers before and tried them out of curiosity. I owned the ASC half-rounds from the ceiling of a former room, and since they fit, I used them. I like the idea of varying surfaces.

Later, I though I'd try for more bass control and less sound diffused to the low ceiling. That's when I replaced the outer two quadratic diffusers with A6 Alpha panels. (I may replace the center one some day.)

GIK suggested the soffits (good idea!), and the rest was decided by me empirically. At the time I set up the room, GIK did not have Alpha panels or Gotham quadratic diffusers in their catalog. Based on experience, I am wary of too much pure absorption.

That's the story.

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2021, 07:11 pm »
I agree, absorption, as thick as possible, is my go-to for reflection points (or more generally the areas between the seats and the speakers).

For the ceiling, you don't have to use the cloud brackets, you can flush mount the panels in a variety of ways. I'd go 244s if you can tolerate 5.5" thickness, or 3.5" 242s, or 2" Spot Panels, in that order. Use the thickest ones you can tolerate.
On the walls, would some thickness of Alpha panels be appropriate, given the low reverb time of treble already?

Regarding the ceiling, it would be 1" or 2" spot panels. Are they made with wooden frames that can be fastened to the ceiling with L-brackets? Does GIK have recommended mounting configurations? And again, would you recommend a binary diffusion plate or keep them plain?

Mike-48

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2021, 10:47 pm »
@JWL.GIK - any thoughts on these details?

On the walls, would some thickness of Alpha panels be appropriate, given the low reverb time of treble already?

Regarding the ceiling, it would be 1" or 2" spot panels. Are they made with wooden frames that can be fastened to the ceiling with L-brackets? Does GIK have recommended mounting configurations? And again, would you recommend a binary diffusion plate or keep them plain?