Versalex vs Amadeus 254 GT?

mr.datsun

Versalex vs Amadeus 254 GT?
« on: 23 Jan 2021, 12:55 am »
Hi, I'm looking for and researching my next turntable. I currently have, a now 25yr-old, Planar 3 w. RB300 and a DV20x2L into a P-75, modified over the years with a groovetracer, a 24v motor, PSU mk2, AO arm rewire, tracking spring decoupled, and OL counter-weight. I could stay with Rega, but I feel that I'm ready for a new kind of turntable.

One of the choices I keep returning to is the WTL due to it's unique design, the 10inch arm and its reputation.  I'm new here, and this seemed like a good place to ask some questions. I don't see many Amadeus 254 GT owners here but thought I'd try...

It seems that now the Versalex (around £4,000, UK) and the Amadeus 254 GT (around £8,000) are the two main choices. At least the two that interest me.

I know the specification differences between them, but wonder how many people have heard both and consider the Amadeus 254 to be worth the extra cost. It is double the price for, in effect, three things – the heavy plinth, the speed switch button, and the external PSU. And not forgetting XLR, which I will never use.

I'd love the speed change switch, but is the improvement in sound worth the extra £4,000 over the Versalex?

mr.datsun

Re: Versalex vs Amadeus 254 GT?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2021, 10:16 am »
I just wanted to add that I have read the parttimeaudiophile and the Ear reviews

RPM123

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2021, 05:44 pm »
Hello. The 254 GT will be available in the US next month and I expect that there will eventually be some owners, perhaps even myself. I have had my Versalex for over 5 years and it is an excellent sounding table with absolutely zero issues. However, I am intrigued by the ability to change speeds via a switch, as well as the potential sonic benefits of using a larger and better isolated plinth. (The 254 platter looks different as well.) I would wait awhile and then ask WTT dealers what differences they hear and then decide if it makes financial sense for you to spend the extra money. And better yet, find out if you can audition both.

mr.datsun

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2021, 07:19 pm »
Hello. The 254 GT will be available in the US next month and I expect that there will eventually be some owners, perhaps even myself. I have had my Versalex for over 5 years and it is an excellent sounding table with absolutely zero issues. However, I am intrigued by the ability to change speeds via a switch, as well as the potential sonic benefits of using a larger and better isolated plinth. (The 254 platter looks different as well.) I would wait awhile and then ask WTT dealers what differences they hear and then decide if it makes financial sense for you to spend the extra money. And better yet, find out if you can audition both.

Thank-you for you reply and thoughts on the Versalex.

> 'The 254 GT will be available in the US next month'

Perhaps that is why there is so little about the 254 on this forum. I assumed that it had been around at least since 2019, but that was based on review dates.

John Burns here in the UK said that one of his dealers who had a Versalex, was 'over the moon' with his new 254.

Of course, but it's very hard to hear anything at the moment. There is a dealer 100 miles away in one direction, who keeps the Versalex on demo. And in theory I can hear a 254 GT at another dealer also 100 miles from me in another direction. So it is possible.

/mp

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2021, 07:40 pm »
Not exactly on point, however, since the OP wrote he currently uses an old planer 3, I will add for what it's worth I used an unmodified planer 2 from c.'78 until '88 when I replaced it with a Well Tempered Turntable & Tonearm. It was a big step up. As big as the step from an inexpensive Technics TT to the Rega. I haven't heard any of the new generation of WT products. Can't help there. As alway, YMMV

Hope this helps,
/mp
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2021, 04:32 pm by /mp »

mr.datsun

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2021, 10:04 pm »
Not exactly on point, however, since the OP wrote he currently uses an old planer 3, I will add for what it's worth. I used an unmodified planer 2 from c.'78 until '88 when I replaced it with a Well Tempered Turntable & Tonearm. It was a big step up. As big as the step from an inexpensive Technics TT to the Rega. I haven't heard any of the new generation of WT products. Can't help there. As alway, YMMV

Hope this helps,
/mp

thank-you for your comment. I'm hoping for a big stepup even if I choose the Versalex. But the speed switch of the 254 is a big attraction.  I can still recall the process of changnig speeds on the Planar 3 before the 24v motor/PSU mod. Not the end of the world though, so I'm still interested in what else the 254's plinth can add to the sound. I guess as was said above, listening will be the real test.

Kimiimacman

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2021, 07:20 pm »
As you can imagine, the similarities are greater than the differences between the two. I’ve used a Versalex for some years which is wall mounted. Tonally the 254 is a more forward but I didn’t hear greater resolution.  I borrowed the 254 and was plagued with feedback so I didn’t pursue it further. An associate of mine at the time had the same issue so it seems one needs to be sure of what it’s mounted on. On my rack it was absolutely fine but being on a suspended floor I knew it would be a no no as is the Versalex due mainly to the ‘wobbly’ platter. In my view the Versalex is bar far the better value option although the 254 looks the bollox! Enjoy which ever one you buy and don’t be afraid to spend big on the cart as it can do justice to any including the exotics unlike any other deck in its price, mine is £6k!!