DSD Support for Roon?

alexreusch

DSD Support for Roon?
« on: 17 Jun 2021, 04:52 pm »
Hi all,

I was using my NuPrime DAC for some years in connection with a Sonore ultraRendu and also opticalRendu in combination with Roon. For the last several years, I could stream native DSD content to the NuPrime DAC with Roon in this combination. However, lateley I could see that Roon has added an extensive list of DAC manufacturers in their device list. NuPrime is not listed as an option here. I can listen to music. However, DSD content will now be converted to PCM by Roon. I have not changed anything on my setup and I have not found any setting to get native DSD streaming to work with the NuPrime DAC. Any idea what could be the issue? Also, is it planned to get listed as supported device vendor inside of Roon?

rustydoglim

Re: DSD Support for Roon?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2021, 07:38 pm »
Whether Nuprime is on the list or not is simply marketing.  We have Roon in our demo lab and it works with all Nuprime components.
How many of you are willing to pay more for us to be listed? It has nothing to do with compatibility.

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2021, 07:48 pm »
Whether Nuprime is on the list or not is simply marketing.  We have Roon in our demo lab and it works with all Nuprime components.
How many of you are willing to pay more for us to be listed? It has nothing to do with compatibility.

From Roon ( https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-ready-certification/91655/28 )

“Brian Luczkiewicz
Roon Labs: CTO

Sep '20
…We don’t charge anything for certification.

This change prevents manufacturers from signing the Roon Ready license agreements, obtaining our SDK, building hardware using our technology, and then skipping our certification/review process and releasing unfinished, unreviewed products straight to customers.

We don’t charge for certification, but going through our certification process is a hard requirement for manufacturers to use use our technology. It is the only way that we can maintain the quality + support level that people associate with Roon Ready.

A tiny minority of manufacturers have released uncertified devices. We have been communicating with manufacturers about this coming change for over a year, and have provided ample time for them to come into compliance, and most of them have.”

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2021, 08:29 pm »
It works so stop worrying about the marketing.

Do you guys realise that in this "crazy" electronics production environment how hard and costly it is to include SDK and redesign our hardware just to be "on the list"? Sure, we WANT to be on the list. But….

To do a hardware redesign now will take upward of $10,000 USD (hardware engineer is not free, prototyping, certification etc are not free), and ONE YEAR of delay because entire electronics supply chain is running at 100% capacity. We already have a hard time getting existing products out.  The situation for electronics production will get worst, not better going into 2022.
Think about all the electric cars, industrial robots, IOT devices, that are coming into the market. They all need chips and new production capacity, but the world is not ready for this transition.

One year of critical parts production lead time!!! Freaking crazy!  Take Stream-9 for example, we just took partial delivery of 500 units which production started many months ago, and parts ordered in December 2020. But we already started another production of 500 units for Jan 2022. Never seen anything this crazy before. By the way, Stream-9 will likely sold out way before we can get the next production.

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2021, 09:36 pm »
For the last several years, I could stream native DSD content to the NuPrime DAC with Roon in this combination.

The question relates to streaming native DSD to the NuPrime DAC. The original post says this was working, but now it does not work (e.g., it must be done as DSD over PCM).

The replies on this seem tangential. Marketing, supply chain woes, etc. I say "seem." I could be missing the point?

The original post seems to assume that the NuPrime DAC not showing up on the list of "ROON Tested Devices" is part of the reason the native DSD streaming capacity went away.

Is that the reason that native DSD streaming capacity went away?

Is native DSD streaming only possible to devices that are "ROON Tested" as some kind of punishment by Roon for manufacturers who won't go through certification?

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2021, 09:42 pm »
It works so stop worrying about the marketing.

To clarify my post above: the Nuprime DAC uses an AKM AK4490 EQ chip that has a separate, purer signal path for native DSD input compared to PCM input (including DSD over PCM).

So when you say "it works" do you mean that native DSD can be sent to the DAC via ROON? This is what the original question was about.

Or do you mean "it works" to send DSD over PCM, which produces sound by does not take advantage of the unique capabilities of the AKM chip to handle native DSD via a cleaner signal path?

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2021, 10:44 pm »

…Is native DSD streaming only possible to devices that are "ROON Tested" as some kind of punishment by Roon for manufacturers who won't go through certification?

As far as I know, there is no such restriction as long as you’re not trying to stream to the DAC via the network/ethernet.  If using USB, it doesn’t matter to Roon if the device is certified or not.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2021, 02:41 am by Saturn94 »

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2021, 12:50 am »
As far as I know there is no such restriction as long as you’re not trying to stream to the DAC via the network/ethernet.  If using USB, it doesn’t matter to Roon if the device is certified or not.

Makes sense. USB 2.0 Audio is a specific element of the USB standard.

The original post did not say whether a USB connection was being used. Maybe the poster could clarify.