Salks with Epik sound

highfilter

Salks with Epik sound
« on: 28 Jul 2009, 05:12 am »
I was wondering if anyone has first-hand experience on how well the Salks (any line of Salks) pair with the subwoofers from Epik? I am currently looking into getting a new sub (or pair of subs) and have my eye on either Epik or Rythmik, as well as joining the Salk family sometime soon (I have my eyes on you, HT4s).

Looking for how well the Epiks integrate with the Salks for music (multi-channel and 2-channel, but probably mostly multi-channel as 2-channel music can do without a dedicated sub) and home theater use. Have heard some impressive reviews on the raw output from the Epiks, but also hear people mentioning how accurate the Rythmik subs are.

Trying to find a balance and get some user feedback on them used along side the Salks.

vintagebob

Re: Salks with Epik sound
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2009, 06:21 am »
I was wondering if anyone has first-hand experience on how well the Salks (any line of Salks) pair with the subwoofers from Epik? I am currently looking into getting a new sub (or pair of subs) and have my eye on either Epik or Rythmik, as well as joining the Salk family sometime soon (I have my eyes on you, HT4s).

Looking for how well the Epiks integrate with the Salks for music (multi-channel and 2-channel, but probably mostly multi-channel as 2-channel music can do without a dedicated sub) and home theater use. Have heard some impressive reviews on the raw output from the Epiks, but also hear people mentioning how accurate the Rythmik subs are.

Trying to find a balance and get some user feedback on them used along side the Salks.

Go ahead and rub it in.  I don't have my Salks yet...but I do have the Epik Phoenix!  I'm very impressed with this sub.  It has an uncanny ability to blend in with music and add to the two channel experience.  It will also knock your socks off with rowdy movie content.  The thing is built like a tank and the 18" woofer seems to hardly move at all for the amount of output it delivers.  It works well with both the Swans and the Polks and I have no doubt that it will blend well with the Salks.

From all that I've read about the Rythmik it sounds like it would be a great musical sub but I think that the Phoenix would win the HT battle.  I did have an AVS member over to listen to the Phoenix and he was very impressed.  He has an SVS PB-13 Ultra.  He didn't go out and replace his Ultra with a Phoenix but he wished the Phoenix had been available when he made his purchase.

highfilter

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2009, 07:23 am »
Nice. I've read lots about how crazy those drivers are and how they barely nudge and they blast you out of the window!

Thanks for the information, look forward to your impressions once you get your Salks.

cujobob

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2009, 11:24 am »
For pure SQ, good luck beating a Rhythmik....if output is more important, the Epik will put out more.  The multiple sub method from Dr. Geddes says to use at least 3 subs...I would do 3 Rhythmiks if I could (and didn't already have an MFW 15 sitting around)