milford3

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #580 on: 24 Mar 2016, 01:09 am »
Night is the New Day is outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0b3is7qmUE

JoshK

« Reply #581 on: 25 Mar 2016, 05:31 pm »
Night is the New Day and The Great Cold Distance are my two favorites.  The others tend to be a bit too slow and plodding to me. 

milford3

« Reply #582 on: 27 Mar 2016, 01:45 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRcDXsZt-wI

Interesting band.  A little Goth thrown in.

JoshK

« Reply #583 on: 27 Mar 2016, 02:53 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRcDXsZt-wI

Interesting band.  A little Goth thrown in.

Way too much 'core' in it for me, which is ironic cause I grew up in Seattle during the grunge era, so I should like the alternative/punk influence, but for some reason I just equate that with a bit of insincerity. 

FireGuy

« Reply #584 on: 27 Mar 2016, 11:26 pm »
Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel.  Quite impressive.  Another excellent referral from JoshK.

milford3

JoshK

« Reply #586 on: 28 Mar 2016, 01:16 pm »
Yeah, those guys are quite interesting.  It has the same founder as Celtic Frost (I know of them but not familiar with their work...first wave of black metal). 

JoshK

« Reply #587 on: 3 Apr 2016, 06:29 pm »
Watching some Testament

Really a good quality concert DVD. 

FireGuy

« Reply #588 on: 3 Apr 2016, 11:14 pm »
Yes Milford3 - Triptykon... very worthy indeed.

JoshK

« Reply #589 on: 4 Apr 2016, 03:25 am »
Triptykon is good.    So I bought a big lot of concert videos from Napalm, and one was Monsters of Metal vol something or other but it has 90 videos of different bands, it was well worth the $14 or so, cause it covers a huge variety of metal, all types of styles and you can really see in a given year what you like.   Draconian's video is f**kin sweet!

JoshK

« Reply #590 on: 4 Apr 2016, 03:39 am »
By the way, I just got back from Iron Maiden at the ACC.  Those boys still have it.   I saw them the first time in MSG maybe 2010, they were awesome then.  I only got into them in grad school oddly enough while studying.  But they are the basis for most melodic metal subgenres. 

JoshK

« Reply #591 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:01 am »
Ok, here is a ridiculously good track, especially for the progressive loving audiophile heavy metaler!

https://youtu.be/2OZYHJ_jme0

Obscura - Ten Sepiroth

I think they officially billed as Progressive [death] metal.  They have some seriously technical progressive elements but they don't lose focus of the melody, so it almost sounds like melodeath at times.  That fretless bass is insanely cool! 

FireGuy

« Reply #592 on: 17 Apr 2016, 01:10 am »
Clouds - Dolui.  Very interesting atmospheric doom metal effort.  My personal wheel house genre.  Anti mainstream dripping with melancholy and killer riffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwfB5FRifJQ

JoshK

« Reply #593 on: 17 Apr 2016, 03:32 pm »
So I finally setup my NAS and playback on my HT system.  So I queued up 100 or so melodeath metal albums, hit random and am rockin out.   MDM is my personal go to genre, but I like a lot of different styles.   I paused to check out your link. 

FireGuy

« Reply #594 on: 17 Apr 2016, 11:47 pm »
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Before the Bleeding Sun.  Good MDM for the masses.

JoshK

« Reply #595 on: 18 Apr 2016, 02:39 pm »
That is a pretty decent one.   It reminds me a LOT of early Children of Bodom, back when they were MDM before they jumped the shark (IMO).  The added keyboards, the vocalist who sounds reminiscent of Alexi.   Its fairly accessible.  Love that cover!

I am super stoked for the upcoming Be'lakor and Insomnium albums! 

FireGuy

« Reply #596 on: 18 Apr 2016, 03:14 pm »
"I am super stoked for the upcoming Be'lakor and Insomnium albums!"

Awesome, was not aware new works are coming.  Esp Insomnium.

JoshK

« Reply #597 on: 18 Apr 2016, 03:50 pm »
Both are expected soon enough.  Be'lakor (one of my personal faves) is expected in July and I think late summer for Insomnium. 

Gojira's is expected relatively soon (another personal fave; not MDM). 

JoshK

« Reply #598 on: 19 Apr 2016, 08:45 pm »
OK, just to keep with some good suggestions.  If you are not familiar with Dark Tranquility, one of the original Gothenburg 3, pioneers of MDM, I'd say the best place to start might be with Character (later in career, but this is a fantastic album start to finish).    I also like Fiction a lot, but the nudge still goes to Character.

Dark Tranquillity - Character

https://youtu.be/Ly22bb4CvNs

DT are the only one of the original 3 still making 'melodic death metal'.  In Flames make some sort of poppy new style of metal.   DT has been more constant and consistent.  They are also fairly accessible in the sub-genre, their lyrics from what I can tell are not satanic/anarchistic or other BS.   I think the vocalist is one of the better ones in the sub-genre, but that is more of a personal thing.  Their music still retains a lot of melody and melodic riffs.   Think of it as Iron Maiden gets a growly vocal lead singer (but you can still fairly easily understand what he is saying unlike some) and they make it a bit harder but not nearly as hard as some 'death metal'.

JoshK

« Reply #599 on: 30 Apr 2016, 11:29 pm »
How about a post on technical death metal?    I have only fairly recently become familiar/into this sub-genre, but it is very listenable unlike some death metal and also very intriguing (to me at least).   

I credit my introduction to Death's latter 3 albums, and in particular Symbolic, and Cynic who would become more progressive/fusion death metal, but their first albums Focus has the seedlings of technical death metal.   Then there is Atheist - Unquestionable Presence which might have been the album to push me into this sub-g.  There is of course Edge of Sanity - Crimson (Swedes before the MDM explosion; one 40 something minute track of progressive/technical death metal).   

So that wraps up the intro to classic albums that started it off.   However, current TDM seems to have flourished into something of its own.   I will give a list of bands I am currently delving into and which albums I think are some of the best intros.  (bandcamp links so you can check them out of even buy if you like).

Glorification of a Myth by Ouroboros  (these Aussies have it down pat and this may have been the modern album that got me thinking.  The riffs are non-stop!)

Fragments of Form and Function by Allegaeon (checkout The God Particle)

The Path of Apotheosis by Inferi  (I like this because it is technical death metal with some obvious MDM influences; check out Destroyer)

The Flesh Prevails by Fallujah (checkout Starlit Path)

Neurotripsicks by GOROD  (a little closer to regular death metal, but still gets a nod as it maintains some serious technicality)

Akróasis by Obscura  (they have one of the coolest fretless bassist; check out any of it, but maybe the title track)

The Aura - Beyond Creation  (check out Omnipresent Perception)

Epitaph by Necrophagist  (this is probably the most celebrated, I think these guys put out only this album and everyone has been waiting since; checkout Stabwound, also THIS MIGHT BE THE PLACE TO START LISTENING)