Squeezebox 2 in the house

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 11 Aug 2005, 01:26 am »
Just got my Squeezebox 2...will post some initial thoughts tomorrow.

First tests will be comparing .WAV files via SB2 vs. transport.  Depending on those results, I may convert the .WAV files to FLAC.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:21 am »
Well I have listened to a few cd's (technically .wav files ripped via EAC) at this point and I must admit I am little disappointed in the overall sound.

When comparing it to my Empirical Audio modified Sony S-7700 (which isn't even the full blown Turbo mod) the sound is flatter and less dimensional.  There has also been a decrease in the speed and dynamics.  It sounds like some detail has been lost by on overall haze that is present as well.

Not sure how long the unit needs to break in, so I reserve the right to offer a different opinion.

Assuming it doesn't improve much, it will be a tough decision on whether I go for mods and go "all in".  I really want this solution to work as it is sooo much more convienent to listen to my collection (after the cd's are ripped of course) this way and it really is a nice interface.

Stay tuned...

George

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:31 am »
I got the Empirical Audio Turbo Off Ramp yesterday and I have the opposite impression.

If the EA modded 7700 is an 85, then the Turbo off ramp is a 100.

It's not night and day, and it is wired from the computer to my DAC, but it is better.

Clean and pure seem to come to my mind as I listen.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:36 am »
Rob,

What are you using for an interface into your computer?

Do you hear your computer while listening to music since you have the computer in the same room?

I believe the Turbo Off-Ramp lists for $950 so it "should" be better than the stock SB2.  

Even once mods are done, the SB2 will be hundreds cheaper than the Off-Ramp and be more user friendly.

That being said, if it is that much better than the S-7700 I might have to go that route...

George

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:39 am »
Ah the long awaited EA modded 7700 vs. EA Offramp turbo vs. SB2. Seems like we have 1 corner left for a contender....Can someone lend one of these guys a Red Wine Modded SB2 :?:

Marbles- What mods does your EA modded 7700 have?

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:52 am »
Quote from: Bingenito

I don't know  :oops:

It has blackgates, but not Jantzens.  It does not have a clock upgrade.

Other than that it should be up to speed.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:56 am »
Quote from: zybar
Rob,

What are you using for an interface into your computer?

Do you hear your computer while listening to music since you have the computer in the same room?

I believe the Turbo Off-Ramp lists for $950 so it "should" be better than the stock SB2.  

Even once mods are done, the SB2 will be hundreds cheaper than the Off-Ramp and be more user friendly.

That being said, if it is that much better than the S-7700 I might have to go that route...

George

George, the Turbo off ramp comes out the computer USB, then goes to my Perp Tech P3a, then to my Bent pre.  All wired.

I do not hear my computer while music is playing because I have it (the computer) cacooned in accoustic foam, and I have the music turned up.

When the music is not playing, like in between tracks, I do hear the computer power fan.

I think you should get a demo of the Turbo Off Ramp.

As mentioned it IS better than my 7700, but it is not a night and day difference.
It is Clean and Clear...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:58 am »
Quote from: Marbles

Sounds like we have the same level of mod, except that I have the Jensen 4 pole caps.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:04 am »
Ok, I am really embarrassed...   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Turns out I left in place my cheap monster toslink cable (which I had handy for intitial connectivity test) and I have been using that and not my VH Audio Pursang with Silver NextGen connectors.

Just put the Pulsar in and life is good!!   :thumb:

Forget all my negative comments from my earlier post - that was the Monster Cable "talking".

Let me get some more songs under my belt before I give my thoughts, but the SB2 is definitely in the same ballpark (and possibly better) than the S-7700.

George

Occam

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:11 am »
Quote from: Marbles

Jantzens??? Don't you mean Jensens? Jantzens are what cheap-ass DIYers like JoshK, Tianguis, and I use  8) . Jensens are what you callous sophisticates use.

Marbles

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:20 am »
Quote from: Occam
Jantzens??? Don't you mean Jensens? Jantzens are what cheap-ass DIYers like JoshK, Tianguis, and I use icon_cool.gif . Jensens are what you callous sophisticates use.

I think Jantzen was a swim suit I had in the 70's  :oops:

I beleive you are correct in that the caps are Jensens.....

Damn, I shouldn't post when I'm 3 sheets....

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:28 am »
zybar:
    Turns out I left in place my cheap monster toslink cable ...
    [/list:u] Monster, how could you George..... :lol:
      You must be working too hard. :o [/list:u]
        Edit :
    I have been using that and not my VH Audio Pursang with Silver NextGen connectors.
    [/list:u]Must be the Pulsar...yep, your working too hard.
      A reminder...if your going to the RMAF...both Steve and Vinnie will be there. 8) [/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2005, 05:16 am »
    Well, I can say that pc + SB2 betters the EA S-7700.   :dance:

The sound is a little bit cleaner and blacker.  This produces a little more detail and dynamics while having an image that is a little deeper and more three dimensional.  Not a night and day difference, but something you can easily pick up when you know your system.  

Outside of the time it takes to rip the cd, this seems like the way to go!

I also briefly compared a .WAV file to a .FLAC file.  I honestly can't hear a difference between the two.  I will re-run this test in the morning when I am little fresher and if the results stay the same, I will go .FLAC and save a ton of space.

The future is now!

George

DSK

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2005, 09:36 am »
    Quote from: zybar
    Well, I can say that pc + SB2 betters the EA S-7700.   :dance:

The sound is a little bit cleaner and blacker.  This produces a little more detail and dynamics while having an image that is a little deeper and more three dimensional.  Not a night and day difference, but something you can easily pick up when you know your system.  

Outside of the time it takes to rip the cd, this seems like the way to go!

I also briefly compared a .WAV file to a .FLAC file.  I honestly can't hear a difference betwee ...

George, thanks for sharing your findings so far. Are you using wireless or CAT5 to the SB2? Also, are you going to listen to the SB2 using its internal DAC, analog stage and volume control to get an idea of how good it is or isn't when fed directly into your amp?

StevenACNJ

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2005, 10:03 am »
    I think if either of you heard the battery powered SB2 or EA Off Ramp, youd be very impressed with the sound quality.

I have the Redwine battery powered USB Select and am completely blown away with it.

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2005, 01:19 pm »
    Quote from: DSK
    George, thanks for sharing your findings so far. Are you using wireless or CAT5 to the SB2? Also, are you going to listen to the SB2 using its internal DAC, analog stage and volume control to get an idea of how good it is or isn't when fed directly into your amp?

I am using wireless.  As long as there aren't dropouts, I can't imagine there is any difference between wirless and wired.

I don't have any interest in the DAC/analog output of the SB2.  It will strictly be feeding a digital signal to my TacT preamp - sorry.

George

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:02 pm »
    Quote from: StevenACNJ
    I think if either of you heard the battery powered SB2 or EA Off Ramp, youd be very impressed with the sound quality.

I have the Redwine battery powered USB Select and am completely blown away with it.

Steven, I'm not sure how much cleaner and clearer it could get with a battery  fed Turbo Off Ramp, but I suspect that the (foobar) upsampler and maybe the EA modded P3a is the limitation on my system now.

The EA modded 7700 is very impressive to begin with, so the fact that the Off Ramp clearly beat it should mean I am impressed...The difference is not subtle, you don't have to strain to hear the difference, but I didn't see God either, and didn't want to give that impression.  I should also say I've been listening to 24/96 for a long time now with the Perp Tech P1a doing the upsampling.

I think that Steve has another mod for the P3a, otherwise mines pretty up to date.

If you went from 16/44.1 to computer based 24/96, I can see why you were blown away.

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:05 pm »
    Quote from: StevenACNJ

I am most likely going to send my SB2 to Vinnie today (need to talk to him first).

George

Marbles

« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2005, 02:17 pm »
    While the Turbo Off Ramp is pretty good, it's pretty pricey and I still need a remote.

The SQ2 is pretty reasonably priced, even with mods, and includes a remote.

That sounds (pun intended) like the way to go for me.

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:11 pm »
    Well I just got off the phone with Vinnie and my SB2 is going out this afternoon.

Vinnie will be performing the digital only mods + the ps option ot allow me to run off electricity when not doing critical listening.

Additionally, I am going to send Vinnie the WBT Silver NextGen RCA socket to install instead of a BNC socket.

If all goes well, I will pick up the unit on the way back from Vinnie after a relaxing week in Cape Cod and will report on things next weekend.

It was a tough choice choosing a modifier since Steve (Empirical Audio), Wayne (Bolder Cable), and Anthony (Aberdeen Components) have all successfully modified gear for me in the past.  But ultimately, I went with Vinnie because I am very intrigued by the battery powered option.

Now on to ripping 1000+ cd's...

George