Help in picking out a tube power amp.

flavo

Re: Help in picking out a tube power amp.
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2019, 04:32 pm »
Does this D Sachs HK Citation V seem like a good idea?
At least I wouldn't loose any money on it if I wanted to move on from it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardon-Citation-V-5-Tube-Stereo-Amplifier-Rebuilt-by-Don-Sachs-Mcshane/323866471903?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2019, 04:40 pm »
Does this D Sachs HK Citation V seem like a good idea?
At least I wouldn't loose any money on it if I wanted to move on from it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardon-Citation-V-5-Tube-Stereo-Amplifier-Rebuilt-by-Don-Sachs-Mcshane/323866471903?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

That's a very nice amp.  Old school transformers with modern day parts/circuit updates is gonna sound very nice.  Won't look as pretty as a new amp of course, but the sound should be very good.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2019, 04:42 pm »
That's a very nice amp.  Old school transformers with modern day parts/circuit updates is gonna sound very nice.  Won't look as pretty as a new amp of course, but the sound should be very good.

Nice Amp, VG headroom with effortless sound.

charles

Escott1377

« Reply #23 on: 2 Aug 2019, 11:52 am »
Transcendent Sound does not get a lot of mention around here, but his new 300 B mono blocs might pique your interest, esp. w/ your high efficient speakers:

https://www.transcendentsound.com/pinnacle.html

It's DIY, but I can put you in touch with someone to assemble if you would like.

I use Bruce's Masterpiece as my pre with a pair of EML mesh 300B's.

Not a lot of tube rolling b/c of the cost of the tubes, but these tubes are the ultimate (IMO) for that "tube sound".

Either way, good luck and have fun!

flavo

« Reply #24 on: 2 Aug 2019, 09:33 pm »
I love the suggestion and am trying to stay with mono blocks for visual enjoyment. But he doesn't mention 4ohm speakers at all and my speakers are 4 ohm.
He also goes back and forth in discussing the amps together or separate in regards to specs. Are these 6W total or 6W a piece?
Thank you

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 2 Aug 2019, 10:31 pm »
I would not use an OTL amp with a 4 ohms speaker, OTLs will fit well with 16 ohms speakers where they have more wattage 10W in this amp above, just me though.

Escott1377

« Reply #26 on: 3 Aug 2019, 12:11 am »
I love the suggestion and am trying to stay with mono blocks for visual enjoyment. But he doesn't mention 4ohm speakers at all and my speakers are 4 ohm.
He also goes back and forth in discussing the amps together or separate in regards to specs. Are these 6W total or 6W a piece?
Thank you

My response would only be a guest, so email Bruce.  He is super responsive and can talk to you about your speakers and his opinion on how the system would perform.

Again, the pre that I purchased from him is nothing but jaw dropping.  I have thought about changing pre's since my purchase, but the 300B opens up everything from your source and sounds quite magical in my opinion.

I have it paired w/ a pair of Primaluna Dialogue 7's and a pair of Wyred 4 Sound mAmps in a bi amp set up for my Von Scweikert's.  I also run 2 x 500 W subs and the pre has not problem handling the load (sorry for a little off topic).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 3 Aug 2019, 12:23 am »
Please note he already informed in the amp page this OTL dont suited to 4 ohms speaker as is expected from a small amp:
Works with virtually any 8 ohm speaker with a sensitivity of 90dB/watt or greater.
https://www.transcendentsound.com/pinnacle.html

Escott1377

« Reply #28 on: 3 Aug 2019, 06:11 pm »
My response would only be a guest, so email Bruce.  He is super responsive and can talk to you about your speakers and his opinion on how the system would perform.

Again, the pre that I purchased from him is nothing but jaw dropping.  I have thought about changing pre's since my purchase, but the 300B opens up everything from your source and sounds quite magical in my opinion.

I have it paired w/ a pair of Primaluna Dialogue 7's and a pair of Wyred 4 Sound mAmps in a bi amp set up for my Von Scweikert's.  I also run 2 x 500 W subs and the pre has not problem handling the load (sorry for a little off topic).

If you're willing to get a little outside of the box, Transcendent Sound offers other option than the Pinnacle.  The 300B does make it a little price prohibitive in rolling tubes.  I am a fan of the OTL design since the tubes are directly powering the output, nothing is in the way.  So, peek around and always reach out to him w/ any questions.  He usually responds w/in 24 hours.  My offer still stands on putting you in touch with someone to assemble the kit.  Bruce will ship the kit (or kits) if you go mono to my contact and he will ship out to you.  I can vouch for both of them.  And again, have fun in your search :)

RPM123

« Reply #29 on: 3 Aug 2019, 08:27 pm »
Try an AVA Ultravalve with a a 30 day trial period. If you keep it, roll some Sophia Electric EL 34's to bring the sound up a notch or two.

OzarkTom

« Reply #30 on: 4 Aug 2019, 06:13 am »
Until you decide on a final amp, pick up a Dayton Audio hybrid tube amp from  Parts Express for 105 dollars.. I just got one in and it is nice sounding nice. It is 12 Wpc into 4 ohms. Class D amp with tube pre. You can always use it as a desktop amp later since it also has a headphone out. Also a sub out and Bluetooth.

Pstores

« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2019, 12:49 am »
  Look at the Atma-Spere gear. CS is impeccable. And if you buy used. Have them updated to current version you get a brand new 3 year warranty.  They really are a kick ass Amp
I’ve had the M60’s and not the MA-1’s both of which I had updated to 3.3.

ldandha

« Reply #32 on: 27 Sep 2019, 11:29 pm »
Luxman or Air Tight and be done with it.

richidoo

« Reply #33 on: 28 Sep 2019, 03:36 am »
I would not use an OTL amp with a 4 ohms speaker, OTLs will fit well with 16 ohms speakers where they have more wattage 10W in this amp above, just me though.

Transcendent OTLs use a lot of negative feedback to lower the output impedance, so they do work well with low impedance speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 28 Sep 2019, 04:00 am »
Transcendent OTLs use a lot of negative feedback to lower the output impedance, so they do work well with low impedance speakers.
Wow sorry to know it, there is no free lunch.

Pstores

« Reply #35 on: 28 Sep 2019, 04:26 pm »
Atma-sphere drive 8 ohm speakers very easily.  My M60’s drive my  Vandersteen low efficiency speaker very well. You can also get zero’s if you feel the need. But with the 3.3 version of amps it’s not needed. 4 ohm high efficiency speaker that have flat draw should also be no problem. I have heard them with Avalon 4 ohm speakers and they sound wonderful with no zeros needed. So OTL Amps can drive 4 ohm loads. And easily an 8 ohm load. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #36 on: 28 Sep 2019, 04:48 pm »
Find and have refurbished a vintage el84 amp. Fisher, Eico, Heathkit, etc..
You have to spend thousands of dollars on a modern equivalent. And you can always sell it for what you have in it.

The transformers on these old pieces sound sublime. And the el 84's are cheap and plentiful... not to mention a blast to listen to. Nice and punchy w good dynamics and the wonderful tubey  midrange.
Then... find a vintage speaker to go with them!
There's a lot to be said for this advice.  A pair of Eico HF12 mono integrated amps would run less than $400.  Gary Dodd built a pair of EL84 amps for me starting with the Eicos.  There are lots of amp guys that could do the same or something similar. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #37 on: 28 Sep 2019, 04:53 pm »
There's a lot to be said for this advice.  A pair of Eico HF12 mono integrated amps would run less than $400.  Gary Dodd built a pair of EL84 amps for me starting with the Eicos.  There are lots of amp guys that could do the same or something similar. 

Agreed.  If you can get by with 5 watts, the EL84 is a fabulous tube.  I don't know why it's not more popular.  Maybe because it doesn't look as sexy as a 2a3 or 300b?  I can run the EL84's on my Dennis Had Inspire monoblocks, but if I didn't have that ability, I'd pick up something like this in a heartbeat:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 28 Sep 2019, 05:18 pm »

That is one fabulous amp, BUT just because a pair of speakers are “fairly efficient” doesn’t mean they are well suited for tubes, much less a SET. Some speakers regardless of their sensitivity require more control due to the load they put on the amplifier. Synergy should always be the goal between the amplifier and loudspeakers.

So what speakers will the new amp have to contend with?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 28 Sep 2019, 05:49 pm »
Agreed.  If you can get by with 5 watts, the EL84 is a fabulous tube.  I don't know why it's not more popular.  Maybe because it doesn't look as sexy as a 2a3 or 300b?  I can run the EL84's on my Dennis Had Inspire monoblocks, but if I didn't have that ability, I'd pick up something like this in a heartbeat:

EL84 and his 2W are not usefull as EL34 and 6W, but it yet cheap.
There is other tubes that delivery more power with good sound as KT88 and KT90(10/12W in SET).