Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

FireGuy

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #640 on: 7 Jul 2016, 12:17 am »
I've been listening to Be'lakor's Vessels.  Its really really good as expected.  I am not disappointed.  It is a tiny bit more mellow, more melodic, more atmospheric.

I agree with your assessment.  Dark and magical at times.  An ethereal blend of progressive soundscapes. Whoa!

JoshK

« Reply #641 on: 7 Jul 2016, 12:44 am »
The last track on the album, the smoke of many fires, I can't stop listening to on repeat.  It is seriously addictive. 

Then again, I find the last track on most their albums are ethereal.

FireGuy

« Reply #642 on: 7 Jul 2016, 01:26 pm »
The last track on the album, the smoke of many fires, I can't stop listening to on repeat.  It is seriously addictive. 

Then again, I find the last track on most their albums are ethereal.

Finding addictive the penultimate track as well... tonight it will be through the main speakers Vs. the HIFIMAN's. Superb musicianship on this album.

FireGuy

« Reply #643 on: 16 Jul 2016, 01:01 am »
Duskmourn - Legends

Nicely done Melodeath mixed with folk influences.  And, relatively local; from PA & NJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O5f8R6einw

milford3

« Reply #644 on: 16 Jul 2016, 01:04 am »
I'll give a listen.  After Delain of course.

FireGuy

« Reply #645 on: 16 Jul 2016, 01:17 am »
I'll give a listen.  After Delain of course.

Similar musical elements to that of Finsterforst.  We all know how good Finsterforst is. 

FireGuy

« Reply #646 on: 17 Jul 2016, 11:59 am »
Enshine - Singulartiy

Lush, Silky melodic death-doom.

FireGuy

« Reply #647 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:13 am »
http://www.metalinjection.net/lists/11-albums-you-probably-missed-so-far-in-2015-pt-1

An interesting array of works from 2015.  A nice sampling this weekend.  Some I like, some I do not.

JoshK

« Reply #648 on: 25 Jul 2016, 06:30 pm »
Duskmourn - Legends

Nicely done Melodeath mixed with folk influences.  And, relatively local; from PA & NJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O5f8R6einw

Reminds me of what Amon Amarth would sound like if they added more folk.  Or Finsterforst.

For more folk-style goodness check out Eluveitie if you don't know them already.  They are one of the few folk metal bands apart from the aforementioned Finsterforst I listen to.

JoshK

« Reply #649 on: 25 Jul 2016, 06:58 pm »
Ok, I came across a 'supergroup' progressive metal band by the name of Slice the Cake.  Its pretty good, but I think they couldn't get along due to some such BS.  They put out a great album though!

https://slicethecake.bandcamp.com/album/odyssey-to-the-west

Ok, found this report including words from the actual composer.  There seemed to be some bad blood over the release and between the composer and the vocalist.   Also, it was a multi-region project, not a supergroup per se.  It is also their second release.

http://iprobablyhateyourband.com/news/slice-the-cake-release-new-album-odyssey-to-the-west/

Its a bit more deathcore influenced than I prefer but overall it is a exceptionally good.

milford3

« Reply #650 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:29 am »
Enshine - Singulartiy

Lush, Silky melodic d
eath-doom.

Bravo FireGuy!!!  Listening with my Shiit amp and LCD 2 headphones.  Brillant music.

JoshK

« Reply #651 on: 26 Jul 2016, 04:58 pm »
Listening to Enshine now.  They are on bandcamp as well (I buy a lot of my metal there as metal CDs in Canada are stupid expensive and hard to come by).  The full discography of theirs is only 7.5 euros, and all in FLAC. 

https://enshine.bandcamp.com/album/singularity

P.S.  my bandcamp page is: https://bandcamp.com/joshuaknechtel   You can see what I've been collecting over the last year in metal. 

simoon

« Reply #652 on: 26 Jul 2016, 06:24 pm »
Agree with you about metal Archives being one of the best metal sites.   They are very complete in their info and reviews.  The amateur reviewers also seem to take great care in their reviews on that site. 

I've mentioned them before in this thread, but in case you are not yet familiar with them, Leprous is a must check out band!  The lead singer is the brother-in-law of Ihsahn (both solo musician and former lead for Emperor).   They have some black metal roots but they take a more progressive bend with beautifully executed clean vocals (mostly, a couple songs have short bits of harsh vocals, even including guest appearances from Ihsahn).   If you haven't given The Congregation a listen, I highly recommend you do.

They have other albums that are stellar as well including the fan favorite Bilateral and also Coal.   Tall Poppy Syndrome was more or less a beginners' effort, enjoyable but no where near as good as those there after.

I'm a big Leprous fan!

All their releases are top notch.

They are going to tour the US in September and October! Quite a few dates all over the US and Canada.

Will be in LA Oct 16.

The best site for prog-metal was http://www.progmetalzone.com/.

The site is still up, but the owner/operator just could not dedicate enough time to it. But you can use it for some great reviews of various styles of prog-metal for the last few years.

JoshK

« Reply #653 on: 26 Jul 2016, 06:38 pm »
I'm seeing Leprous when they come to Toronto.  In fact there are so many great bands coming that I have tickets for I will be going to at least one a week for a couple of months on average it seems.

Ne Obliviscaris with Black Crown Initiate  tomorrow night.
September:
Haken / Thank You Scientists
Slayer / Anthrax / Death Angel
Devin Townsend/Between the Buried and Me / Fallujah
October:
Opeth / The Sword
Leprous
Gojira / Tesseract
John Wesley
November: Dark Tranquility

Oh and Osheaga music festival in Montreal this weekend (mostly indie type bands, headliners on Sat are Death Cab for Cuties and Lana Del Rey).

FireGuy

« Reply #654 on: 26 Jul 2016, 07:50 pm »
Leprous - in Toronto.  I'm 1.5 hours out and I do like that town.  Hummm?  Have to see if I can flag down someone who would also enjoy this trip!

JoshK

« Reply #655 on: 27 Jul 2016, 05:46 am »
deleted
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2016, 08:23 pm by JoshK »

FireGuy

« Reply #656 on: 28 Jul 2016, 12:22 am »
Black Sun Aeon - Darkness Walks Beside Me

Always enjoy Tuomas Saukkonen's work.  He's done a lot of projects with good success.  This is one of them.

JoshK.  I'll think about that Toronto trip.  My schedule is tight though.

JoshK

« Reply #657 on: 28 Jul 2016, 06:07 pm »
Never heard of them.  Tuomas is pretty talented though.

I only knew Before the Dawn and Wolfheart, both are quite good. 

Listening now:  This one is brilliant!   :thumb:

FireGuy

« Reply #658 on: 28 Jul 2016, 07:01 pm »
Here is more of Tuomas's work.

JoshK

« Reply #659 on: 28 Jul 2016, 07:29 pm »
I am listening to all the other Black Sun Aeon albums on youtube (at work) right now.  Its really really good!  Those went into the cart.  I saw that one on the wiki page but can't seem to find a copy of it for sale anywhere.

I think Wolfheart has a 3rd album coming out soon.