The best sounding subs need a solid box...

Metfit77@gmail.com

Re: The best sounding subs need a solid box...
« Reply #80 on: 8 Dec 2019, 08:06 pm »
For HT use, would it be best to:
A: Use 2 x single sealed subs
B: Put both subs in the same enclosure (still sealed)

In scenario A, could I use the sw12-08 or sw12-16 and only use 1 plate amp to power both?

Looking forward to hearing your input.

Danny Richie

« Reply #81 on: 9 Dec 2019, 06:09 pm »
Best for home theater would be a sealed box sub in each corner of the room.

And two is always better than one.

The SW-12-08FR and SW-12-16FR are for open baffle applications.

For HT use, would it be best to:
A: Use 2 x single sealed subs
B: Put both subs in the same enclosure (still sealed)

In scenario A, could I use the sw12-08 or sw12-16 and only use 1 plate amp to power both?

Looking forward to hearing your input.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: 9 Dec 2019, 07:58 pm »
I built these with sandboxes top and bottom. Real back breakers but very inert.

WC

« Reply #83 on: 9 Dec 2019, 08:56 pm »
My Rythmik F15HP that I am building are going to be braced in several directions and I am going to use No-rez on the enclosures. I went with the  2-15", since 2-12" servos would not be enough to pressurize my space. My use is for HT. They are already going to be a beast to move, and extra sand weight would have made them even worse.

Early B.

« Reply #84 on: 9 Dec 2019, 09:12 pm »
I built these with sandboxes top and bottom. Real back breakers but very inert.

These look awesome! 

You're gonna have to tell us more about these speakers. Got a link or something?

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: 10 Dec 2019, 03:55 pm »
Thanks Early Bird, these were the last pair of speakers I built before I retired. So I was doubly happy when they were finished.

They were built for a good friend whose domestic situation wasn’t conducive to OB. So he designed this kind of hybrid OB.

As discussed the top and bottom drivers are Danny’s 12” servo woofers in sealed sandboxes. The mid is a 12” Beyma. The AMT is the 500 Hz version of the AMT you have in your cast HA Obsessions so you should be pretty familiar with how those sound. The crossover is a simple series crossover.

Here’s a pic that shows the drivers a little better. The crossovers went in the space above the plate amp.

They sound very good but aren’t for everyone because of their size.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #86 on: 10 Dec 2019, 04:24 pm »
Woodsage, very nice. Interesting design and what looks to be great execution of it. These babies make a STATEMENT!

At first glance, it looks like they might be modular, but as I look closer, I'm thinkin' not. If redesigned some, do you think they could be?

I have to admit I love the idea of big ass, self contained design, but the handling of same is increasingly a concern. None of us getting younger, eh?

If I can pry, (and if not, I understand), what was the business you retired from? Speakers only, all manor of woodworking? I guess I'm curious because as I look at my own "retirement", more shop time is attractive to me. I have an acquaintance though, that sold his woodworking business and has no real desire to pursue it as a hobby. To each his own, I suppose.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #87 on: 10 Dec 2019, 04:36 pm »
Woodsage. Is. The. MAN! That my friends is how it is done. When your work looks that good next to a Eames Lounge Chair and ottoman you are doing something very very right.

Also kudos to whoever first uttered the words "12" midrange with large AMT in open back configuration".

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #88 on: 10 Dec 2019, 07:13 pm »
  Sweet. Would love to hear them.

charles

Early B.

« Reply #89 on: 10 Dec 2019, 08:09 pm »
As discussed the top and bottom drivers are Danny’s 12” servo woofers in sealed sandboxes. The mid is a 12” Beyma. The AMT is the 500 Hz version of the AMT you have in your cast HA Obsessions so you should be pretty familiar with how those sound. The crossover is a simple series crossover.

OK, they're quite similar in driver configuration to my speakers with two exceptions -- I have the AMT 700 and an 8" Beyma vs. your AMT 500 and 12" Beyma.

I have no validation for this, but I would imagine woofers up top and on the bottom would sound bad ass.   

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #90 on: 10 Dec 2019, 09:37 pm »
Thank you for the compliments.

Peter J:

You're right, we're not getting any younger and these are quite heavy. I could barely tip them upright by myself once they were completed. I added sand at the back of the sub boxes as well.

These could have been built modularly but wouldn't have quite had the same seamless look. The bass boxes, front baffle and short baffle returns were all glued up as one unit. The plate amp/crossover box was a separate unit and was slid in and screwed at the top and bottom. It provides most of the rigidity of the structure. I put some angle block reinforcement at the baffle returns to strengthen them up a bit. Here's a couple pics to clarify.

I retired after 40 years in the commercial furniture manufacturing business. And I have been building speakers for people since 1985 (I started building furniture in 1978). So I'm like your buddy, no more shop time for me! Sometimes I miss the creativity but not all the other stuff that went with it and I much prefer being retired with 10 toes in the sand.

Norman Taylor:

Thank you, my buddy has good taste in furniture. The speaker design was definitely a form follows function kind of thing; I had to translate what he wanted into something that looked good and worked. But they are basically huge boxes.

Early Bird:

Not sure what Beyma Darrel used but I'm sure they sound somewhat similar. The bass is very good and having the second bass driver up high loads the room nicely. My buddy couldn't get Danny's H-Frames to work in his room.

Mike
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2019, 10:52 pm by Woodsage »

Sasentmt

« Reply #91 on: 24 May 2020, 05:35 pm »
Are there any other pictures or links to build threads or completed sand box enclosures?

AlexH

« Reply #92 on: 24 May 2020, 09:25 pm »
Check out Peter J's build. His work is excellent.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84765.0