Dual 12" OB H-Frame Construction

ZAKski288

Re: Dual 12" OB H-Frame Construction
« Reply #120 on: 14 Dec 2014, 07:44 pm »
Where are the H-Frame Plans available. Thanks Guys,  ZAK

ZAKski288

« Reply #121 on: 14 Dec 2014, 07:49 pm »
  :duh: :duh: I found them.  Are there any advantages of going with three per side. Thanks  ZAK

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #122 on: 14 Dec 2014, 07:50 pm »
Where are the H-Frame Plans available. Thanks Guys,  ZAK

You can find them here http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/H-frame%202.pdf

ZAKski288

« Reply #123 on: 14 Dec 2014, 07:55 pm »
Thanks mlundy57,  I found them. Thanks ZAK

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #124 on: 14 Dec 2014, 08:00 pm »
Shorter is better. I use a SpeakOn connector at the end of the factory wiring coming off of the amp. Then plug that into the female SpeakOn that gets mounted to the back of the H frame.

Where would you mount the connector at the back of the H-Frame?

Danny Richie

« Reply #125 on: 14 Dec 2014, 08:17 pm »
Where would you mount the connector at the back of the H-Frame?

You can mount the connector on the inside back corner of the side panel.

Captainhemo

« Reply #126 on: 15 Dec 2014, 03:39 am »
Are there any advantages of going with three per side. Thanks  ZAK

More output and overall , you'd be working each driver less to reach a given SPL so  less distortion/cleaner.  At normal listening levels  ( relative I know)   mine  are  being worked very little

-jay

ZAKski288

« Reply #127 on: 16 Dec 2014, 02:21 am »
Thanks Captainhemo for info. Your setup is awesome, and I'll bet it sounds incredible.  ZAK
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2014, 05:53 pm by ZAKski288 »

Odal3

« Reply #128 on: 4 May 2016, 02:55 am »
 I will finally join the servo sub club. I will also start with a dual 12" H-frame and I'm very excited to get started! The second one will be added at a later point. Will use this build to improve my poor wood working skills. If all goes wrong, my back-up plan is of course to buy the the nice looking CNC cut frames you offer.

Captainhemo -
I noticed on the GR Research drawing that the brace location is off-set between front and back but it looks like the dado you cut is straight across? Is the only difference the total height of the H-frame - 26 3/4" vs 26"?

Thanks again to you and everyone else who has shared their builds for the inspiration!

Captainhemo

« Reply #129 on: 4 May 2016, 03:55 am »
Saves you  .75"   in height if you offset them.
 The ones I've been building (these and the CNC ones) use the  exact same size "chamber"  front  and rear, 13" x 13"  instead of the 13"  x 12.25" you get with the offset braces.

You're in for a real treat with these subs  :beer:

jay.

Odal3

« Reply #130 on: 4 May 2016, 04:48 pm »
Thanks Jay!

Bobusm

« Reply #131 on: 6 May 2016, 07:39 pm »
I am hopefully building one of theses as well as got hold of a370 servo amp here in Uk which is rather rare. 

Not decided on what to build yet. I would love to build H frame open baffle but dont really have a lot of space for it and it will probably end up in corner of the room. Will this limit the performance of this sub?
I also have pretty much ideal sealed box for my current sub about 50 liter 2 cu ft or so in size. If I just get servo driver for it it will save me lot of hassle. What is the main difference between sealed and OB?

I am using  N3's on end of amp camp. Listening on low levels most of the time - late night so spl is not an issue. Just want to add bit of extra dimension to the bass.

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #132 on: 6 May 2016, 07:49 pm »
I can send you an amp and woofer or woofers. No problem.

The open baffle subs need breathing room. Near a corner is not going to give you good results.

Our sealed box SW-12-04 servo woofer needs just 1.5 to 1.8 cubic feet of air space. You might be able to use your current box for them if the through hole for the woofer is no bigger than 11" across. You can also line the inside of your box with a thin layer of MDF to stiffen it up and take up a little air space at the same time.

It sounds like the sealed box version might be more ideal for your application.

Bobusm

« Reply #133 on: 6 May 2016, 08:42 pm »
Hi Danny.

Thanks for quick reply. Just measured the box again and it seems like it is around 2cu ft without the driver (not sure if you take this into  measurements or no) I am not sure if I can add any braces as it already have 2 braces going accross and it is all build from 1" material (bought already built so not sure what it is - looks like something solid not MDF). Box is bery solid and braced very well hence I was thinking it should work. Hole is tiny bit over 11" so it should work ok.

I think I will go with sealed for now due to the cost involved with shipping and tax etc. You should really open some european branch Danny as there would be definitelly lots of interest for the Subs and kits.

Now I just need to find second hand driver and get some cheap courier from Us to Uk :-)

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #134 on: 8 May 2016, 08:06 pm »
Danny wrote: 
Near a corner is not going to give you good results.
Danny, what's the minimum distance from a corner?

Danny Richie

« Reply #135 on: 8 May 2016, 09:39 pm »
Danny wrote:  Danny, what's the minimum distance from a corner?

The open baffle subs really need to be out from the corner three feet or more.  And treating the corners with some tube traps of some kind will really help as well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #136 on: 8 May 2016, 09:44 pm »
Hi Danny.

Thanks for quick reply. Just measured the box again and it seems like it is around 2cu ft without the driver (not sure if you take this into  measurements or no) I am not sure if I can add any braces as it already have 2 braces going accross and it is all build from 1" material (bought already built so not sure what it is - looks like something solid not MDF). Box is bery solid and braced very well hence I was thinking it should work. Hole is tiny bit over 11" so it should work ok.

That is actually what I'd call very mildly built. Cutting you some pieces of MDF and gluing them in with liquid nails will really help. And on that I'd line it with No Rez or at least some industrial floor tiles.

I'll get you a shipping quote on Monday.

sglau

« Reply #137 on: 17 Nov 2019, 10:08 pm »
That is some awesome build quality in these frames for the OB 12's. I might resurrect my two pairs and rebuilt as you have! How did the final finishing completed set come out and do you have pic you can post?